Should all models be a size 0?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 91 discussions (176 posts)
  1. Fashionista <3 profile image59
    Fashionista <3posted 14 years ago

Recently there was a controversy over a model featured in Glamour magazine because she has skin flab hanging out in her picture. The media criticized her, but Glamour readers stood by her saying she was a beautiful, healthy girl and they wanted to see more "normal" looking girls in magazines. Now a days, size 6 is considered a plus size model. Is that right? Should all models be rail thin with no curves? Do you want to see girls that look more like you in magazines or the stereotypical model types? Do these stereotypical types, who are obviously air brushed, fulfill a fantasy that we like to see in magazines?

1. Lady_E profile image62
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

All models shouldn't be a size zero bcos some of the things they wear/model would not be flattering to a person of a medium size. Models should be in all sizes: The size zero's, the slim, the medium and the not so medium. smile

2. dejajolie profile image60
      dejajolieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As you stated most of it is airbrushed..... I think curvy and natural is more attractive, I'm a 4 and to some I may be "plus-size" but who cares.... I think models should be all sizes there is beauty in all as long as it's natural

3. drej2522 profile image67
      drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes...all models should be rails. smile

4. esstat17 profile image61
      esstat17posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your coll.. Keep up!

1. profile image50
        nicoleenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i personally aspire to be a model , im young now , but my mom was a model too , and i love the idea of being just like her ..
        im already 5 9 , and only like 105 pounds
        some say , thats TOO skinny , but im healthy , ya my ribs show and i dont have a whole lotta meat on me but i have the perf curves and flawless tanned skin ..
        like just cause im thin doesnt mean im like dying ?!
        I AM A PERSON
        but its how IM BUILT . i dont do crash diets or anything ..
        just some are built super tiny , and others are built .. not so skinny . if skinny is what the fashion industry wants right now , its what it wants . str8 up . its NOT gonna change over night . gtfo , and get over it .
        did anyone ever think if the fashion industry was different , and wanted large girls , and there was ONE size zero shed be getting chirped right now , because her ribb showed on the runway ?
        youre either what they want , or what they dont ..
        for now , they want skinny , who knows what they want in ten years .. BE PATIENT

oh and to the whole " airbrushed " thing .. UH NO
        ive seen before and after photos of pictures being put in mags and they dont look that different fyi . maybe some editors go overboard , but like , high end magazines .. dont ?
        everyones too jealous , the people are models , and put in magazines for a reason .. called SALES . youre more likely to buy a magazine with tyra banks on it .. then like , some ugly chick , face it .
        and to back that up ,
        a study was conducted a couple years ago , saying people are more likely to buy a magazine with the model on the front page in RED other then any other colour . this is because they stand out , and red is a beautiful colour , are we all gonna say were being mean to all the other colours ?! NO exactly , so like GROW UP , if you arent the model that was on the front cover of the magazine that was being chirped .. dont be worrying about it kay ..
        you CANT DO ANYTHING
        like , i get so angry when people say im stereotypical because im passionate for modeling
        pretty girls stand out . ugly ones dont , you cant change that .

hott guys like hott girls
        ugly guys like ugly girls
        it balances out , and no ones died from being with someone thats actually the same as them ..
        so calm down ya little fuckers
        youre what ruins the positive energy of the fashion industry and the hopes and dreams of some girls , growing up wanting to be JUST like their mom ..
        thanks

5. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/files/images/skinny_model.jpg
      http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/04_02/normalDM2204_228x451.jpghttp://nymag.com/images/2/daily/fashion/08/05/08_realbeauty_lgl.jpg
      http://www.beforeyoutakethatpill.com/2008/11/aphrodite.jpg

A bit of meat is much more beautiful than skin and bones.  Skin and bones chicks look like the walking dead.  yuk!

6. nadine_stowne profile image61
      nadine_stowneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No

7. nikki1 profile image61
      nikki1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not at all. A perfect model in my opinion is a size 10. Yes the camera adds to ones appearance. However the models on tv. Takes that way out of per portion. They are too skinny, I think.

8. Harvey Stelman profile image61
      Harvey Stelmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Fash,

As long as they look good men don't care.

9. lllisax profile image55
      lllisaxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lots of different shapes, its all beautiful smile

1. nikki1 profile image61
        nikki1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Seeing bones on women, teens, children, adults, is never beautiful. Seeing their really thin face is never beautiful.
        Actress needs to learn how much body fat (depending on their height). Their publishers are not doing well if they can't encourage their clients on how to long amazing on the camera. They should also realize they are icons. When they get to thin, they should worry. This is discouraging, in my opinion.

10. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I like to see models size 0.
      for normal full of flesh women, I have myself.

1. wsp2469 profile image60
        wsp2469posted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Full of flesh"?
        I will behave tantrum.
        I am so ready to say something off-color though . . .
        let me tongue that belly button and I promise I won't say it.

1. tantrum profile image60

Go ahead and say whatever.
          My belly button is sacred ! lol

1. Bovine Currency profile image60
            Bovine Currencyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like your belly button.  Will you ever invite me over?  I am bored here.

big_smile Do what you must !

1. Bovine Currency profile image60
                Bovine Currencyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Will you pick me up from the airport?

What airport ? hmm
                  I was talking about something else ! big_smile lol

2. Harvey Stelman profile image61

If that is your pic; why not the face?

2. wsp2469 profile image60
            wsp2469posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, I think i should behave but i was gonna say something about being more than willing to make sure you were really "full of flesh" BUT I thought I would behave--so i am keeping my mouth shut.

2. chenmikehk profile image41
    chenmikehkposted 14 years ago

I prefer curves. What is so attractive about a plank or a stick?

1. Karina S. profile image61
      Karina S.posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you. Plus it is not normal and not healthy.

2. starme77 profile image76
      starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

nothing, actually , when I used to model, I thought I looked good, now I look back at the pics, some 60 pounds heavier now , I see I looked anorexic

3. Himitsu Shugisha profile image72
      Himitsu Shugishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you. To me the most beautiful women are the ones that actually built like women...hips, legs, etc., etc. smile

3. CologneFragrance profile image61
    CologneFragranceposted 14 years ago

I personally think beauty comes in all shapes and sizes and should be seen for just that.

4. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

I am 5 '2 height, 100 lbs. I would love to see models just like me also, so that I can look and see if what products they are modeling would suit me. I dont know the reason why all models should be skinny, why not choose models with different sizes, so we have the option to choose which one best depicts us...in turn choosing the products that best suits us.

The concept of beauty becomes commercialized too through the help of media. The thing "THIN is IN" is just crazy

1. maudine_05 profile image60
      maudine_05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree, though Im size "0" 5'1 weighs about 95lbs. models should come in all sizes and forms, variety is the spice of life

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
        prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hey maudine, how are you? why are you always agreeing to what I say? same minds,  friends,

1. maudine_05 profile image60
          maudine_05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ha!ha!ha! Ok from now on, I'll try not to agree but argue with you Ok?

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

size 0 is too small, they look ill, and most likely are. many of the rail thin models smoke or take drugs. it's not glamourous to be unhealthy in any size, shape or form.

1. nyliram profile image57
      nyliramposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it is the best shape to put the clothes on, Easy to pin a bit here and there, but you can't put a garment on a large person easily, plus the garment usually doesn't look as good. But I am a statuesque 6 foot and weigh 70kg. so maybe I am a bit biased.

1. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it's all about the runway. these models are walking hangers, and they look good on the runway.

a girl can look healthy and beautiful even if she has a little padding. too much in any direction is the problem.

1. Harvey Stelman profile image61

cos,

You old pic was better,a nice face is wonderful.

6. Chloe Comfort profile image61
    Chloe Comfortposted 14 years ago

I would rather see a real woman with real curves as opposed to the stick thin models. Too many women think they need to look super thin in order to be attractive. A big misconception that gives many young women today poor self esteem if they don't or can't compare. Love and accept yourself they way you are. Be happy in your own skin.

7. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

I love women in all shapes and sizes so no a little diversity would be fine!

8. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

Take a look at the movie "The Devil Wears Prada" with Meryl Streep. It's a highly enjoyable review of the fashion industry and addresses this "skinny" issue. Lots of fun too smile

And yeah, the media creates an impossible ideal, IMHO.

9. Black Lilly profile image60
    Black Lillyposted 14 years ago

Don't know about US sizes, but UK size 10 is I think the best for a model. Can be extended to size 12 if the model is tall (e.g. 6'), and in very, very exceptional circumstances (in case of perfect proportion) up to size 14.
    For short girls, like 5'5, size 8 should be key.

Healthy = BMI in the range of 18-25. If you're about 5'7 and size 14, most of the times you will be out of this range.

I risk to get quite a lot of criticism here, but not everyone can be a model. Model should be someone more impressive than just any girl from the street.

By the way,there was a huge scandal on London Fashion week recently, when one designer used size 16 models I think...
    They just don't look good on the catwalk, and that's a fact.

10. myownworld profile image74
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

And may i also add, that it's not just models, but many celebrities (in films as well as on t.v.) too who border on size 0...or anorexia rather!...so the whole 'super skinny' idea is being reinforced in our minds, particularly young people's, as something glamorous and almost beautiful!

11. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

And if it's not bad enough that they use such skinny models, they are actually digitally retouching their pics to make them even skinnier to the point of freakish looking!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne … INNER.html

1. myownworld profile image74
      myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hell yes, it's almost like playing mind games with people and their idea of beauty! I don't know about men, but women are certainly becoming more critical of their own bodies and other women too...! Let's hope men still like some curves...!

(and that link was unbelievable! yikes)

1. profile image0
        Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm a big fan of curves! smile

1. myownworld profile image74
          myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I guessed as much from your poetry!! wink

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

this is happening more and more. I have stopped buying fashion mags as they are all advertisements. and I am slender and tall, but these pics now are an insult to women. would be interesting to hear what the model herself thought of that grotesque image of herself.

12. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Being a size 0 is dangerously unhealthy! I would love to see more girls with curves and even different heights...they always have to be tall and super skinny. I say we get more curves on our models so that they look HEALTHY in magazines and who off styles that will compliment more women the same sizes and heights.

13. Ivorwen profile image67
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

I honestly don't think most models are a size 0.  I am a 2, and I am smaller than most models I see in magazines and catalogs.  Sure, runway models are very thin, but they do not make up most of the models.

14. wesleycox profile image71
    wesleycoxposted 14 years ago

Models should not be a size zero.  They should be a comfortable size for them and model clothes that fit right.  With the right clothes big girls can look pretty dang sexy.  There is too much emphasize on being stick thin and quite frankly it is disturbing. 

Check out http://hubpages.com/hub/female-body

15. profile image57
    Rosa Bergerposted 14 years ago

I think models should have curves and look like normal, healthy people. Overweight people do not look healthy and neither do underweight people. It is one of those things that you know when you see it, even if you cannot always put it into words.

16. Stimp profile image60
    Stimpposted 14 years ago

Keep in mind that ALOT of those magazine models...in addition to airbrushing are about 12 to 15 years old and who have not reached puberty yet.  My niece is absolutely gorgeous and a model....she has NO curves.  Look at those models....they are very very young.  Look at magazines like SHAPE where the people are like us...not some robotic anorexic symbol of what we call the American norm.  You will also find 10 year old girls today becoming anorexic to MEET that look and they can't.  It sucks.  Marilyn Monroe was a size 12 and she was absolutely beautiful.

I strive to show my girls that exercise and good eating habits are the way to go....not to meet some other standard that the media has thrown in front of our eyes.

BTW:  I've shown them pictures of these size 0 models and they were like "EEEEEEWWWWWWW, that's gross".  That's my girls!!!

1. Ivorwen profile image67
      Ivorwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A size 12 in Marilyn's day was much smaller than a size 12 today.  Look at the facts.

Measurements of Marilyn Monroe

Weight: varied from 118 - 140 pounds

Height: About 5' 5"

Measurements: About 36-22-36

While curvaceous, she was far from large.

1. Stimp profile image60
        Stimpposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are right.  She was far from large.  I read an article that said she would be told to LOSE 20 lbs in order to make it today in the starlet arena.  Which I thought was ridiculous.

1. Ivorwen profile image67
          Ivorwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Definitely ridiculous.

17. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

I find your adoration of very young girls disturbing. lol

1. Stimp profile image60
      Stimpposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know right..... smile

1. profile image0
        Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

18. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

No no no no no no bring in bigger healthy realistic sized women. The media is killing our younger generation. Believe me I have suffered anorexia and it has to stop. That skinny underfed look is impossible for most women to achieve without some form of starvation, it is unhealthy and unattractive. Shame on the media !!!!!

19. Black Lilly profile image60
    Black Lillyposted 14 years ago

what's "realistic sized healthy women"? measurements, weight, height - how you define it?

1. blondepoet profile image67
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Any women with meat on her bones. I am not sure of the average size of most women. Size 12 onwards would be a great start.

1. profile image0
        Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Amen! smile

2. Black Lilly profile image60
        Black Lillyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

what about height? Size 12 for someone 5'3" and 6'0 is totally different..

20. rmcrayne profile image90
    rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

I think very few humans would be healthy at size 0, therefore very few human beings should be a size 0.

21. Princessa profile image81
    Princessaposted 14 years ago

Last month I participated in an experimental fashion show.  I am 1,60cm tall and around 57 kilos (depending on the time of the month!) which means I fit a European 38/40 so I was absolutely amazed when a friend designer asked me to take part in the show to model his clothes.  During the rehearsals other designers and shop owners saw me and asked me to wear their clothes too.  I was very surprised as I was the oldest and “roundest” of the group modelling.

As a result after the fashion show, my friend designer and all the other ones for whom I was modelling were delighted.  A week later they had sold out all the dresses and underwear I wore. 
    The lesson to be learnt?  Women want to see women who resemble themselves in the catwalks.  If the model wears a size 38/40 like them, they do not feel intimidated to go and buy the dresses.  They know what the dresses are going to look like on them and feel that they can wear them too!

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Princessa, You are our Ms Model HP woman now!
      I agre with what you said. This is true! I am you average normal woman with 104 lbs, 5 '2 height, but when I look at some models, they are like  5'6 and up and 100-110 lbs, wow, can there be smaller ones so I can also see what those clothes may look like when i wear them!

1. Princessa profile image81
        Princessaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It does make a big difference to see the clothes in someone that looks like you as opposed to someone who looks like 20cm taller and 10 kilos lighter.

22. Gabriella D'Anton profile image60
    Gabriella D'Antonposted 14 years ago

This obsession with sizes is ridiculous!!!!!!!
    Size 0 (zero) is a total nonsense. What does it mean? Did the person vanished?
    I just wrote an article today " A Fashion Must: Fit versus Size"
    If you get a chance to read it, please let me know

23. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

absolutly not..I like being me..I enjoy having a curvey body and my DD's..I might be 5"3", but Im fine at 125 and I wouldn't want to loose my "ta ta's"

so be it if I could never be accepted as a model, I dont need speed to look good and fill out a size 6 dress properly!

Bouncy-Bouncy!

24. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

God no!

I prefer women with some curves, basically the natural look.

The stick figures on the catwalk are rarely that attractive to me, even less so when they put on the garbage that the designers make them wear.

25. thisisoli profile image71

God no!

The stick figures on the catwalk are rarely that attractive to me, even less so when they put on the garbage that the designers make them wear.

26. thisisoli profile image71

God no!

27. thisisoli profile image71

God no!

28. kikolani profile image67
    kikolaniposted 14 years ago

I think that advertisements should use a variety of sized models.  There are women of all sizes - 0's, 6's, 12's, and so on.  Every sized gal wants to see what clothing might look like on them.  It's hard to get that estimate if every piece of clothing is placed on a size 0 model.

29. Helen Cater profile image60
    Helen Caterposted 14 years ago

There have been several occasions when I have been shopping and seen an outfit in a window display on a size 0 dummy. I check myself and walk away, because I think it's going to look bad on me. The point I am trying to make is most models wear clothes to sale to normal sized people. Normal people would not buy it because they think they are too fat for such outfits. If the people at the top looked at it in a more realistic way, they may have more sales. The clothes may look great on us, but we have been put off so much, and we do not wish to feel disapointed, so we don't bother trying it on.

30. Valerie F profile image60
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

What I think is interesting is how obesity is such a problem at a time when the media is so obsessed with the weight and figures of celebrities. So Tyra Banks puts on a few pounds. She's then accused of "letting herself go." But Angelina Jolie loses her baby weight, and the tabloids freak out about anorexia. The message from the media is that whether a girl is overweight, healthy, or underweight, she'll never measure up, so there's no point in any normal person to even try.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

right on!

plus, i just wonder why no one cares when a man gains like a hundred pounds, is bald and just downright unattractive in general, while it is ingrained in we women from very young ages that we have to be perfect in every way. if you're pretty, people call you stupid. if you're successful, people assume you are homely, or, if you are pretty AND successful they wonder out loud who you did to get where you are. if you are homely, people assume you must be smart when you could actually be as dumb as a bag of hammers.

i don't think size 0 really exists. when i was 12, i weighed 85 pounds and was THIN for a 12-year-old, and i wore a size 5 then. and that's a CHILD. i think women (and men) can be too fat and they can also be too skinny. there's this one emo kid in my neighborhood who walks past my window every morning on his way to school and he wears a ball cap and the same black hoody and black jeans and these huge shoes it always makes me chuckle because he is so skinny he looks like a Pez dispenser walking by.

the problem is we are valued for our looks instead of appreciated for all of our qualities and accomplishments - something men freely enjoy even in this day and age.

i think models on the catwalk have to be super tall and super skinny for the sake of the runway. they're like thorobreds or something. i never wanted to be them though, i was always happy being me.

in addition to the media, women have to share some of the blame for starving themselves to look that way.

31. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

Heck no. They should be all sizes, average size 10. And that is that!

32. RKHenry profile image64
    RKHenryposted 14 years ago

I love my girl!  She's smart and she is plump!!  What's not to love about that?  Yum.

I love you, Ashontai

33. Sanarya profile image61
    Sanaryaposted 14 years ago

even fried eggs are not as flat as some of today model!
    if you look back at some picture of models from the 50's, 60's , 70's they all have womanly curves.
    my question is how did we went from those beautifull women to our todays walking stick?

34. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

This whole thread and reading it is testimony to obsession with womens' weight and looks.  It's really kinda weird.

I'm not in the scrawny is in camp (most of the clothing design models are that thin because the designers prefer them that way--'clothes hangers' make the clothes look better), but neither am I in the 'normal' size is just fine camp.  Most of our quote, quote 'normal size' people anymore are over weight, and that's unhealthy--just a fact.

All that being said, there are a natural range of sizes for people out there.  Healthy is good. There isn't much people can do about how they are built, though, either.  And the 'ideal' of any one age changes.

35. Rayalternately profile image61
    Rayalternatelyposted 14 years ago

Current catwalk models will one day appear on "Ripley's Believe it or not" when the vagaries of the media adopt their next trend. It's all about conditioning and selling stuff. If you're unhappy with yourself, you're much more likely to buy tons of stuff you don't need in the vain effort to conform to this unrealistic, and frankly unhealthy goal.

We are all what we are. As Public Enemy so eloquently put it, Don't believe the hype! smile

36. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

Um, that could be a hub.

37. Jonathan Janco profile image59
    Jonathan Jancoposted 14 years ago

Models should be all shapes and sizes, just like we were created. As for my personal preferences, I don't like to look at women who look like skinny young boys.

38. esstat17 profile image61
    esstat17posted 14 years ago

I wonder to all models, they have tin heaps..why is that so

39. esstat17 profile image61
    esstat17posted 14 years ago

good threads..

40. Amandasofyork profile image60
    Amandasofyorkposted 14 years ago

I prefer curves, not 0 size. Stereotypical model types is fantasy of most.

1. beautyrose profile image61
      beautyroseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh im hurt coz im skinny but skinny with nice but lols.

2. beautyrose profile image61
      beautyroseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am also skinny lols

41. beautyrose profile image61
    beautyroseposted 14 years ago

ohh I'm hurt coz im skinny. Yes skinny with a figure lols. But why there are guys who still likes slim women? *wink*

42. Gabriella D'Anton profile image60
    Gabriella D'Antonposted 14 years ago

Nicole,

By the way you write I believe you should be a model.

Lose a few more pounds and make sure NOT to improve on your writing abilities and you will be JUST PERFECT as the next super-model

43. juliawinston profile image59
    juliawinstonposted 14 years ago

I think the idea of beauty and size is changing in western society. Just look at celebrities such as Beyonce, Tyra, J.Lo, etc. They all have curves! I don't think men like stick-thin women. A real woman has curves.

44. profile image0
    jennafawposted 14 years ago

Well I used to be a personal trainer and I've been exposed to many sizes. Believe it or not numbers dont mean anything cause there are some beautiful bods that are a size 7-11 and you would never think they would be that size.

45. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

Models should not be "stick skinny" but a healthy weight for their heights (proper BMI).  I have been a size 0 (even a 00), and I was no stick.  I had curves and was perfectly healthy.  My understanding from my model friends is that there are regulations regarding weight and BMI for runway models.  There have been several cases where the models have been denied because they were deemed underweight.  One was only one pound and she was not allowed onto the runway that evening.  This type of regulation brings some hope into believing that models will eventually emulate the reality of all body types and weights.

46. Bredavies profile image60
    Bredaviesposted 14 years ago

I just quit modeling because of this size stuff! Its dumb and unrealistic

Bre,

YOU can still do head shots.

47. tapple profile image61
    tappleposted 14 years ago

Models should be all shapes and sizes it shouldn't just be one size or one prefered over the other, thats what I think hmm

48. PromoTom profile image61
    PromoTomposted 14 years ago

its a ridiculous media creation that I wish would change ASAP... variety is the spice of life wink

49. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

No, all models should NOT be a size zero. They should all be size 10 or over!

50. Bredavies profile image60
    Bredaviesposted 14 years ago

I wrote a hub about what happens to girls who aren't that size and model http://hubpages.com/hub/Theeasywaytolive

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)