jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

How to get curly hair straight without chemical relaxers

1. Cheeky Chick profile image61
    Cheeky Chickposted 6 years ago

My friend, Kari, has the curliest hair!  She is naturally a dirty blonde, but she colors her hair so that it's a lighter blonde.  The coloring is why she needs to relax her hair without the chemicals.  She says she HAS to keep coloring her hair.

Any ideas out there?

1. AEvans profile image73
      AEvansposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Use a diffuser on the blow dryer and a round brush it is great to color your hair but over processing will damage it. smile

2. 0
      cosetteposted 6 years ago in reply to this

how about an ionic or tourmaline straightener? i have straight hair but when i want it SUPER STRAIGHT and smooth as glass, i use one of those. they work great!

2. 0
    sneakorocksolidposted 6 years ago

I just want hair.

1. magichands profile image62
      magichandsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

If you cant grow it sew it!!!!!!!!! If you cant do it glue it!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!! it always worked for me! Holla at me on my page magichands!

3. Cheeky Chick profile image61
    Cheeky Chickposted 6 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions, ladies.  I'll pass them on to Kari.  I've got an ionic straightener and it works great for me...exept when it's really humid outside.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your expertise.  I appreciate it!

4. Mocha Momma profile image60
    Mocha Mommaposted 6 years ago

Hi Cheeky,

Not sure where your friend is located, but we have in the states whats called "Dominican blowout"... If your friend goes to a Dominican stylist, they will straighten her hair without chemicals and without a flat iron.  Hope this helps.

5. wavegirl22 profile image48
    wavegirl22posted 6 years ago

for me. . and my natural curls that like to turn into frizz (unless of course there is 0 humidity) it starts with the blower and the round brush. . .and from there to get whatever frizz just cant contain itself out comes the straightener. . yes its a process that I wish I could do without but hey pretty takes time:)
    Before the straightener was around it was the tin on top of the head and then I "wrapped" my hair around the tin one way and a few minutes later I undid it and went the other way!

I have a few friends that go for Japanese straightening and some new Brazilian process but I am so used to my way that I would rather stay away from more chemicals. . and though the end result looks good .. Im not so sure the toll that these processes are going to have long term. .time will tell .. .

6. Webmatron profile image60
    Webmatronposted 6 years ago

I have to agree a little with Magichands, but I'd go further and say that if you're going to do a weave all over, you may as well wear a wig.  You can have as many of them as you can afford, they're easier to care for, and at the end of the day you can take it off.

If you have a nice head of hair, but just want a change of look, a wig is a good choice.

7. yenajeon profile image82
    yenajeonposted 6 years ago

The choices I see are
    1. Straighten with a ceramic flat iron (less damaging)
    2. Use a round or boar brush and a blowdryer on low heat (less damaging)
    3. There's an Asian process called 'magic straight' its similar to chemical relaxers, but not as damaging and it doesn't hurt/sting at all.