jump to last post 1-26 of 26 discussions (35 posts)

Do clothes match personalities?

1. 0
    wsdismanposted 6 years ago

Do you think that the clothes you wear reflects your personality?  I definitely think that you can tell a persons lifestyle by the clothes they are wearing, but what about their personality?  I read somewhere that the types of personalities are:

Mixed Clothing

This list doesn't seem too modern though, what do you guys think?

1. starme77 profile image84
      starme77posted 6 years ago in reply to this

People tend to sterotype others by what they wear , but many times they are wrong.

2. 60
      log.to.the.woodposted 6 years ago in reply to this

In some cases I can see how it would when you looka t sterotypes such as "scene" kids...they typically are reflective of their attire, but also clothing can rely on other things like your income. And these days people tend to not have a specific style and wear all kinds of clothing. So for the most part...I would have to say no.

3. prettylaura profile image60
      prettylauraposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well most people will judge you in the way you dress or the way you look .. if you look that neat so neat and professional they will say you are a good person and look you up high. I do believe that people may view your personality in the way you look

2. 0
    Crazdwriterposted 6 years ago

Not at all. you can't tell anything from what ppl wear. they wear what they want and are considered comfortable to them, not waht they think will show off their personalities.

3. Ivorwen profile image83
    Ivorwenposted 6 years ago

I think that clothing shows some personality, but it is also dictated by $, work environment and friends; not to mention the fashion industry.

I don't consider low cut jeans to fit my personality at all, but if I dressed according to my personality, people would think I was ready for Halloween all year long.  (And I don't even like that holiday!)

4. 60
    SupernaturalSeaposted 6 years ago

I think that clothing *can* reflect your personality. It just depends on how much personal style you have. Many people dress for convenience, comfort, warmth, etc. They are really not thinking about style. If one begins to ponder style, one will definitely project their personality through their clothing.

I think my style shows my personality at times. I also think one's personality can peep through even if they are not thinking about it. For example, when one is tired, one may throw some clothes on and appear as if they just got out of bed. If one is feeling happy, one may end up wearing a bright color. Catch my drift? I don't think you can say, without doubt, that personality does NOT appear in a person's appearance. Everything we choose to buy or wear must mirror something within our souls, right?

5. networkrecruiting profile image60
    networkrecruitingposted 6 years ago

I dress according to my mood and the kind of day it is. If it's a sunny bright day and I am in a good mood then I'll wear a pretty summer dress but if it's bleaky and if I am upset then it'll be black jeans and a button down shirt. If I feel sexy and the wind is light and you get that excited feeling then it's jeans tank top and heels.

6. Gabriella D'Anton profile image60
    Gabriella D'Antonposted 6 years ago

Identifying your type (classic, romantic, flamboyant, etc) is essential before building a solid and coherent warderobe.

Most often than not, you will probably be attracted to a certain category of clothes that will reflect your dominant personality characteristics.

As an active woman, inclined mostly towards the clasic look and, being as far from the romantic type as one can get, I never had (and never will) include ruffles or any kind of lace in my choices.

it is not only an instinct to mucht clothes to one's personality, it is a question of comfort and feeling that whatever you weare is an extention of you

7. heart4theword profile image62
    heart4thewordposted 6 years ago

I agree with Ivorwen, dress can depend on environment.  I have seen in my lifetime, where the environment I was in dictated what I wore.  As well as if I was in the big city, or in a small country town.

When I had to dress nicer, because of the environment I was in, I felt allot better about myself.  Even worked harder at keeping in shape!

It is said too that the colors in a persons wardrobe, is usually the same colors they tend to decorate their home with.  Even if the colors they decorate with is darker or lighter they are the same colors schemes, in many cases:)  Heard that from a color analysis, seemed to ring true to people I knew.

Awesome question, you threw out there:)

1. NunezWillLearn profile image59
      NunezWillLearnposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Your Analysis is absolutely right. After reading your post now I realize why my grandpa always stick to paint yellow, green and also purchase yellow green

8. mistywild profile image61
    mistywildposted 6 years ago

yes and it seems the list needs to be updated.

1. 0
      wsdismanposted 6 years ago in reply to this

What would you add to the list to update it?

9. Capci profile image61
    Capciposted 6 years ago

I thik its not always true bcoz many times we faced some persons they made there dress up very highly but when we get to talk with them we feel yak...not good way of talking,expressing etc.. so i would say dat cloths are reflections of personality for the watchers but actually they are not always the reflections of the wearers...

10. 0
    ralwusposted 6 years ago

Who wears clothes? A hat mebbe.

11. I*n*v*i*c*t*u*s profile image60
    I*n*v*i*c*t*u*sposted 6 years ago

My god, CC, you pretty much took the words out of my mouth! If I were to be wearing my personality..  I'd be hangin out nekkid all the time like you! cool

1. 0
      ralwusposted 6 years ago in reply to this

We need to get together then. My wife says I'm crazy. LOL I suppose I could wear a loincloth. Or mebbe a penis gourd. LOL

2. Jane@CM profile image60
      Jane@CMposted 6 years ago

I'm rather eclectic how I dress.  For the most part, I'm more classic - blue jeans & a white shirt will always be a classic look.  But I like funky too!

3. LizzyBoo profile image61
      LizzyBooposted 6 years ago

I believe that clothes tells you a lot about person and a character of the person. It is mostly the first thing you look at when you meeting people.

4. Army Infantry Mom profile image61
      Army Infantry Momposted 6 years ago

My clothes reflect my personality for sure,....I wear a lot of Red Wings & Michigan Wolverine stuff,..LOL

5. John Kounoupis profile image60
      John Kounoupisposted 6 years ago

I would say yes, but to a very short degree... It depends on the person's financial state, and the peer pressure he is under. Take me for example. I am in a good financial state, yet I don't wear expensive clothes. I wear clothes that are comfy, and represent me.

6. 0
      lyricsingrayposted 6 years ago

not necessarily could be due to income or budget restraints.  big_smile

7. Lisa HW profile image84
      Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

Most people (I think) don't have "uni-personality traits", so clothes don't/can't always show all sides to a person's personality.  Also, besides the money factor others have mentioned, there are people who wear clothes they wouldn't otherwise wear (a kid may have a lot of clothes based on his parents' approval, overweight people sometimes won't buy clothes they'd really like to wear if they thought they'd look ok in them, someone elderly may like some clothes but think he'd look foolish in them, some people wear only clothes others have given them, etc.)

Having said that, and based on people who buy what they wear and wear what they want according to their own preferences, I think clothes can often say a lot.  The person who says he doesn't care what clothes look like and only wants to be comfortable is actually telling you something about his personality.  The person who wears fur or leather shows something about his personality.  Someone who's willing to wear the name of a designer on his clothes shows a little of his own personality.  Someone who changes his style with every outfit has a different personality thing going than the person who always prefers classic clothing.  The messages can be subtle or not-so-subtle, and you can't always judge for sure, but our clothing does tell at least some of the basics about our personalities a good part of the time.

1. John Kounoupis profile image60
        John Kounoupisposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Amazing answer... Very good.

2. maudine_05 profile image60
        maudine_05posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well said. Agree!

8. 0
      jennafawposted 6 years ago

People are different, but I must say it does apply to some people. Some people are slackers and don't really care for what they wear, so they'll wear raggedy clothes. Some people wear raggedy for that spur of the moment and later that night they'll wear an expensive outfit. So I don't think it applies to everyone, but some.

1. 0
        jennafawposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Also, it could depend on your mood..I sometimes go by my mood for my make-up and clothes. smile

9. AEvans profile image73
      AEvansposted 6 years ago

I am a classic romantic so for me it can reflect my personality but for others not necessarily. I have friends who where anything and everything that makes them comfortable and based on their personalities there clothing certainly does not always reflect who they are as a person. smile

10. 0
      sneakorocksolidposted 6 years ago

Since my wife always re-dresses me I must be a freak.

11. lewgard profile image59
      lewgardposted 6 years ago

Hmmm...Maybe.  When I worked a 9-5 job, I had to dress up every day.  Definitely did not fit my personality.

12. efeguy profile image60
      efeguyposted 6 years ago

13. Sexy jonty profile image61
      Sexy jontyposted 6 years ago

First impression is your last impression ... be nicely dressed each time.....

14. 0
      lyricsingrayposted 6 years ago

It's hardest for the ones that share multiple personalities.  Let's have a moment to reflect on that struggle.  Shall we?  yikes  yikes

15. prettylaura profile image60
      prettylauraposted 6 years ago

yes, for people will judge you in the way you look.
      so be better look good. But if your the kind of person who don't care to what he will look like, it's your choice anyway to be like that then expect on what people will say about your status.

16. yenajeon profile image81
      yenajeonposted 6 years ago

I'd say I'm both classic and romantic! I love classic pieces such as pencil skirts and Ralph Lauren. But I love anything with a bow a ruffles!