Should there be a minimum age for having a tattoo

Jump to Last Post 1-37 of 37 discussions (63 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Precious Williamsposted 13 years ago

I didn't get my first tattoo until well into my forties and I'm really pleased because I knew what I wanted.  So many people seem to regret theirs - so do you think there should be a minimum age.  Probably not workable but it's a thought.

1. CASE1WORKER profile image60
      CASE1WORKERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

in the uk it is 18

2. leeberttea profile image56
      leebertteaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No. We all make mistakes and we have to live with the consequences no matter our age. Personally I think tattoos are for the most part silly. Many people get them and they have no meaning or significance or they can't be seen, and even if they have a significance for the current time in a person's life, when they get older that significance is no longer relevant. It seems to me, if you're going to get a tattoo, you should give it great consideration. It should have meaning and significance and should always maintain that significance. It should be located where it can be seen and it should be artfully done. I hate cartoon characters, tribal tattoos,(unless they have a meaning and that meaning can be transmitted,) butterflies etc. Also as you age tattoos fade and wear and need to be touched up or recolored. Sometimes what looked good on your 20 year old body doesn't look so hot when you're 50.

1. profile image50
        DixieLillyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wait until you're about 70 for a tattoo.... Give you something to look forward to and it should look good until the day you die!  But, I do like butterflies....shows how free one is.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In most countries there is an age limit, or at least you need parental consent.

4. aguasilver profile image71
      aguasilverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, 80 years old with both parents approval! smile

5. dras profile image62
      drasposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think people should just be forced to wear a fake one for a minimum of 3 months. Afterwards, they can be allowed to get the real version. This should be plenty of time for them to find out if the tattoo deserves to be permanent.

1. livinfree147 profile image57
        livinfree147posted 13 years agoin reply to this

i think thats a great idea very smart do u have a tattoo

6. EJ32 profile image61
      EJ32posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes there should be a minimum age to get a tattoo.Because what you feel and think, and want as young person, you may not feel the same way as you become older. Or what you think is cute when your younger you may not find so cute later on in life. And that is why you have to be 18 or older to get a tattoo.

I hope this was helpful.

EJ32

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

In some States there are already Laws against children getting a tattoo. I would have to check, because I am not sure, but in Massachusetts, USA. you have to be 17 with parental consent or 18 years old.

I am unsure about other places or places outside of the U.S. wink

1. EJ32 profile image61
      EJ32posted 13 years agoin reply to this

No in the USA  you have to be 18 and older.

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 13 years ago

What do you mean it's not workable? 

Over the last few years, nearly every state in the US has made it illegal to tattoo anyone under the age of 18, and many of those have also stipulated that even with parental permission it's a no-go for minors.

4. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

I noticed she's from the UK, but I found this about Tattooing in the UK:

Tattoo Club of Great Britain

Tattooing of Minors Act 1969 Chapter 24

It shall be an offence to tattoo a person under the age of eighteen except when the tattoo is performed for medical reasons by a duly qualified medical practitioner or by a person working under his/her direction. You cannot obtain a tattoo under the age of 18 - not even with your parents permission!

5. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

Wonder what those "medical reasons" might be?

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's very common these days for people who are undergoing radiation therapy for cancer to be tattooed with targeting marks so that only the precise areas to be treated get irradiated.  This shortens the time for each treatment as the marks do not have to be done manually each time and has reduced side effects that come from having areas not to be treated being accidentally irradiated. 

There are also some cosmetic reconstruction procedures in plastic surgery where tattooing is utilized.

1. profile image0
        Justine76posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, good info. I suppose I should have read that first. oops wink

2. KCC Big Country profile image85
        KCC Big Countryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Relache.  Makes sense.

3. George Blumberg profile image56
        George Blumbergposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Interesting. Did not know that.

As about medical reasons, I read that during World War 2 German soldiers had their blood type tatooed in their underarms.

2. profile image0

drug allergies, diabetes, that sort of thing. I think. some people get that tattoed on, less chance of loosing it than a bracelet.

There's been talk of having tattoos for such things, but they are not yet standard medical procedure and first responders (paramedics, hospital staff, police, etc) are not going to look for them even if an individual has decided to use a tattoo to convey that info.

1. profile image0

I only read a brief article once about the possablity of it. I can imagine it would be hard for EMT's to have to look for tatoos when its not standard procedure. I do think it coudl be a good idea though.

1. EmmaliAmazing profile image57
            EmmaliAmazingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

One of my closest friends has a huge tattoo on her forearm of a cupcake and syringes and it says in big letters "DIABETIC"

I didn't understand why for the longest time, until I straight up asked her and she said it was for EMTs

6. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Well, I guess that now settles that question. smile  lol lol  Good job KCC! smile tongue

7. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

To answer a title question - no. It is none of the government business. smile

8. profile image0
    Precious Williamsposted 13 years ago

Thanks for all your posts.  I had no idea there was a law against minors being tatooed- but I should have done.  As someone who pierced their own ears in my early teens because my mother wouldn't let me get them done, I probably agree with Misha.  It's no one's business.  However, I'm still glad I waited.

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL Just to get the record straight - I actively despise tattoos. Call me old, call me retarded - I still do. But I still think it is none of the government business to enforce my likes and dislikes. smile

2. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It has more to do with the medical end of tatooeing than anything else.  It needs to be regulated because kids would be doing all kinds of things without parental consent otherwise.

9. JulieMcDaniel profile image61
    JulieMcDanielposted 13 years ago

I was 25 when I got my first tat I am now 29 and I have 6 with 5 more planned out to get in the next few months. I do believe that there should be an age limit and 18 is a good age for that.

10. tattoodesigns.net profile image60
    tattoodesigns.netposted 13 years ago

The only reason I would support the idea of a minimum age for tattoos is that teens, particularly those found between the ages of 12-18, are inclined to rush into certain things without a reasonable amount of forethought, therefore opening the door to regret down the road if they were to get a tattoo for instance.

But if you are really sure of what you want, and are prepared to take in the subsequent consequences of your decision, I say go for it smile

11. bladesofgrass profile image60
    bladesofgrassposted 13 years ago

I agree with tattoodesigns.net. I got my first tat last year, right before I turned 40. smile I am absolutely in love with it. The guy that did mine thought I was crazy, considering it was my first and it takes up half my back. I am now tossing ideas around to what I what to finish it. My son's friends are all running out getting their first tats and I'm afraid that some of them might regret what they chose, later on down the road. They are all 18 and my son is still comtemplating whether or not he wants one. smile

12. profile image54
    probafixposted 13 years ago

I don't think so

13. Snapa profile image62
    Snapaposted 13 years ago

I personally believe that you should be over 18, however I live and work in Belize. Here there are many underage kids who tattoo themselves at home with homemade guns and or pricking themselves. So my policy is, minors have to have permission from a parent or guardien. We live on a small island and I know most of the youths. I'd rather they come to me for a clean safe tattoo than have them mess around with sewing needles and cigarette ashes.
    So I treat everyone as they come. Yes I have denied a few, especially if it looks like they are spending too much money on tatts instead of helping  mom with rent.

1. profile image48
      J13Smileyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Legally it should be 18.  I was a young gangster and I had gotten my first one before I was even old enough to drive legally at 15 years old from a reputable tattoo shop around here in southern California.  He did plenty of work on some older friends of mine over the years so my friends and I were told to go there if we wanted some good tattoos.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60

Legal age is 18.  Maybe you got yours long ago, but if he did it now, it's against the law.  It falls under medical type laws where a person has to be of age to get a tatoo without parental consent.

14. studiob13 profile image60
    studiob13posted 13 years ago

IMO, yes. Keep the age minimum at 18 and have the option for your parents to sign off if you want it younger.

If we have no age requirement, you will have legitimate shops doing tattoos on (more than likely, immature) pre-teens that simply have the money. Or perhaps you'll start seeing parents that think it would be wise to tattoo their toddler. And yes, the latter is possible, I think that was in my local news once; 4 year old kid was tattooed by parents.

15. Alya rose profile image60
    Alya roseposted 13 years ago

I'm seventeen and recently got a tattoo on my wrist,haven't regretted it so far.But I didn't get my mom's approval(she wasn't mad she just wasn't there)I earned the money myself and I've wanted a tattoo since I was 7.What I'm trying to say is,if you've really thought it through and through and are old enough to think for yourself I don't really see a problem.

To bad the person who tatooed you didn't know it's illegal for you to get a tatoo without the consenting adult.

16. liljen23 profile image75
    liljen23posted 13 years ago

I would have to say yes and the required age should be 18 because I believe at that age most of the time, adults will make the right decision and know what they want. If they are under 18, they will regret it and wish they would have thought it through. When they are that age, most of them make bad choices..

17. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image88
    AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 13 years ago

My hubby has run his own tattoo studio for over 18 years, and here in the UK everyone getting a tattoo has to be aged 18 or over by law.

He often talks people out of getting silly designs on, knowing they'll come to regret their choice as time goes on.

18. chloebaby profile image39
    chloebabyposted 13 years ago

Yes there should definately be a minimum age limit for tattoos..  18 is common and I think 18 is the right age.. so I don't think it should be changed.  At 18 I think we are mature enough to know what we like and what we don't...The ones that regret their tattoos later are usually because they got their tattoo on a spontaneous whim.. You can't put an age on that thats part of ones character...

1. YU_First 1 profile image60
      YU_First 1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are right about not being able to put an age on a tattoo... whatever you say it lingers in people's minds and their opinions of you. ?!

I suppose it would help if  Tattoo Artists exercised a "Hippocratic Oath or Code" of sorts where by they set up associations, which associations would have codes of conduct and among these codes, they would have a specific one requiring them to be "guidance and counselling" practioners for their clients.

19. profile image50
    thetattoistposted 13 years ago

well in my part, putting some tattoos is independent for any ages. As long as your body can take the pain, then, it is fine. But I have another question. Should you go for a tattooist to do the tattoo for you or you would customize your own tattoo design? Which one should you prefer?

<no self-promoting links, link snipped>

1. sagirl profile image60
      sagirlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hi there everyone...i think tatoos can be sexy if its limited.I think 2 tatoos for a women is enough,more than that is so overated!by the way im new to hub...would be really nice if you guys check out my page.

20. profile image50
    gypsyccwposted 13 years ago

Hi, I live in NC and my b/f is a tattooist.  The law here is you must be 18 w/o parental consent.  Piercings...there is, technically, no age requirement but they must have parental consent if they are under 18 years of age.  I got my first tattoo at age 50.  I now have three and each one of them means something to me.  I didn't just pick a pretty picture out of a book.

21. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

Yes - 100 years old.

22. profile image49
    k2c19posted 13 years ago

yes because i dont want my daughter to be a young girl or teens and beable to go get a tattoo. i think she be made to wait until she's 18 or older to make a decsion to permenantly put something on her body.

That's what the law says, too.

23. AbbiiDeath profile image60
    AbbiiDeathposted 13 years ago

Yes, obviously you need to wait until the body has stopped growing as the tattoo will stretch otherwise and will look deformed.
    And you also need to wait until people are mentally stable enought to choose a nice tattoo, not one that will look silly in a few years (i.e a band log, sweet 16 etc).
    Although i'm 18 and have a few tattoos, i think that most people should have to wait till theyre at least 21 to get one unless they can prove that they are mature enough to make a good decision aboit having a tattoo.

24. ASmith22 profile image61
    ASmith22posted 13 years ago

I think so because when your young you get stupid stuff you might not want when your older. I am 18 and have two but they both mean something to me. They always will. also, they are easily hid which i think is important for jobs. If your gonna get one make sure it wont be something thats gonna get old. i know alot of ppl who got tattoos that say "say i wont" thats pretty stupid and it will get old!

25. princess g profile image60
    princess gposted 13 years ago

yes. I regret mine, and i got it in my late 20's

26. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

you have to try the ones which are removable first say one year ..and think 50 times b4 it will become permanent

27. Hotplate profile image60
    Hotplateposted 13 years ago

I say that you just need to be old enough to earn the money to get it done.

28. imatellmuva profile image77
    imatellmuvaposted 13 years ago

There should be a minimum age for tattoos. Even as an adult you may not make the best tattoo decision, but as a child you are more apt to get a tattoo that's based on your maturity level.

I am not against tatto's. I got my first one at 44 years of age. I waited, because I wanted something I knew I would want (obviously) for the rest of my life. My son wanted a tattoo at 14, but I wouldn't let him, and told him he would have to be 18 before he could get one.

Once I was at a restaurant and a girl, who worked there, and looked to be 16, had a tattoo of Mickey Mouse on the back of her hand. At 16, her life isn't decided yet, and now she has a tattoo, that may likely limit her employment possibilities. The tattoo itself and where it's placed is a daily reminder of a good idea gone bad.

29. Jaggedfrost profile image61
    Jaggedfrostposted 13 years ago

I think there is a physical maturity that needs to be maintained in order to have it keep it's shape.   I think parents should educate their children on the dangers involved.   I have had enough of governmental restrictions on things, even if such restrictions agree with my sense of morality.  Leave such questions to the churches and homes.

30. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

I don't know about where you live, but in my state you have to be at least 18 to get a tattoo.  Of course that doesn't stop kids from doing their own, which is not only stupid but dangerous... and often just awful looking.

31. kazemaru2 profile image60
    kazemaru2posted 13 years ago

There shouldn't be because there are  few risks with tattoos.

You must be one of those people who doesn't actually have any tattoos, since you don't seem to aware of what they can entail.

There are a lot of potential risks with tattoos, the most prevalent of which is hepatitis (which comes to a variety of variations, all of which are nasty and some of which are incurable).  Staph infections (some of which are flesh-eating) are also possible, so is HIV.  And then of course there's sepsis (bacterial infections). 

And don't forget scarring or poor art from a total lack of technique.

32. Jaggedfrost profile image61

unless you get a dirty needle or an artist that is less artist then one who practices.  Then who will protect you if not someone will enough legal baring to make the pretender pay?

33. brimancandy profile image78
    brimancandyposted 13 years ago

I have no desire to ever get a tattoo, however, I do know several people that have them, and one old friend who has them all over his body, including a Mermaid sitting on a rock by a lighthouse that covers his entire back. He also has a snake that starts on his forehead and wraps around his neck. My dad used to call him the illustrated man. He had all that when he was 19.

I think if you are going to get a tattoo, please avoid putting it on your face. I have seen some men with tattoos on their faces at 60 and they look like a warped jigsaw puzzle. Really sad, and very scary to look at, as those men usually have lots of pierced body parts as well, eyebrows, nose, ears, and probably elsewhere.

I think there should be an age requirement of at least 18, and it should be the Tattoo artists requirement to let the person who decides to get the tattoo of letting them know what they might be getting themselves into, as a tattoo won't go away without surgery. Expensive surgery.

Certainly don't have someones name as a tattoo, unless it is mom or a really good rock band. Always fun to have a tattoo that says I love Diane when your wife's name is Sarrah.

Just use common sense.

34. Jaggedfrost profile image61

Relache, I thought that is what I said, more or less. lol

35. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

There should be minimum age for everything, even eating a cheese cake.

36. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

Yes there should be a minimum age, I believe it is 18 in the United Kingdom but some youngers get friends to do them etc
    I waited until I was 23 and a friend got me interested in having one..I was going through heartbreak at the time and I had the word 'someday' tattooed on the top of my arm. It helped me get through the tough patch.
    I then started getting others on the tops of my arms, a lions face which I wanted since I was a kid, and some other mythical creatures because I was a bit addicted.. they are only on the tops of my arms and now I think I will leave having tattoos. Some are more favourites than others but they are a part of me now and I believe they are unique to my character smile

37. mieketownsend profile image60
    mieketownsendposted 13 years ago

This topic is a tough one. I know of kids that have been emancipated at the age of 16 years old and live their life more responsibly than a lot of adults. This kind of throws a wrench in the works about how responsible someone under 18 years old can be. I do believe that there should be some stipulations for getting a tattoo under the age of 18 years old. My nieces each got their first tattoo at the age of 16. The tattoo parlor required parental permission, parental attendance, and verification of being the parent through state id and a birth certificate. Both nieces love their tattoos (one is 20 now and the other will be 18 this summer). Know you kid. If your son or daughter comes to you wanting a tattoo, it is your decision on whether or not you believe they are capable of making a rational choice or if they are following the crowd or trying to make a statement that they may regret later. In the end, if they want the tattoo bad enough they will find a way of making it happen. If you build a relationship of trust with your teen (I know. Sounds impossible to some) then you will be able to have a mature discussion with them about it, and the teen in turn will be more likely to think the decision to the end and make an educated decision. Good luck parents!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)