jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (18 posts)

Would you love your child less if they were born with ...

1. 0
    Precious Williamsposted 6 years ago

a facial birthmark.  I only ask this question, because I was reading about this woman who had struggled to love her daughter because she had a large birthmark on the side of her face.  I couldn't imagine feeling the same, but I'm not condeming her.  I felt sad for her. But I did wonder when so many people aim for some kind of physical 'perfection' whether that makes it harder for parents when a child is born that doesn't fit with either their own or others view of what is perfect.  What do you think?

1. Kimberly Bunch profile image60
      Kimberly Bunchposted 6 years ago in reply to this

There's good and bad parents in the world. Obviously we know which side this parent is on!  Can you imagine what the child will go through having such a shallow minded parent?

Maybe it will strengthen the child when that kid gets older. What doesn't break you makes you stronger.

2. yenajeon profile image82
      yenajeonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

No I couldn't love them less. I would encourage them even more to feel confidant and love themselves by embracing their birthmark.

There's nothing wrong with being special!

2. myownworld profile image78
    myownworldposted 6 years ago

It's difficult to speak for others, but personally, I can only imagine loving my child all the more because of it.... hardly any less... smile

3. 0
    Precious Williamsposted 6 years ago

I agree with you - but I have never been in that position and that's why I wouldn't condem someone.

4. Flightkeeper profile image79
    Flightkeeperposted 6 years ago

Unfortunately there are parents who cannot love their child because of their own expectations.  Whether it's a birthmark, a plain-looking child, the wrong gender, there's all sorts of things that can make it hard for a mother not to bond with her own child.  It's sad. I just hope that the child has another parental figure who will lavish love on her.

5. Lisa HW profile image83
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

There are even parents who can't quite love their child as much because their child didn't turn out to be like a "clone" of them.  Sorry, but I DO judge people who are that shallow and who are too selfish and stupid to know they shouldn't have a child because they're incapable of being a normal mother.   mad

6. Ivorwen profile image85
    Ivorwenposted 6 years ago

I don't think so.  I can see it being hard to accept at first, but I love my children for who they are, not what they look like.

7. blondepoet profile image78
    blondepoetposted 6 years ago

Love has no tags...

8. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 6 years ago

My little grandson has very bad eczema - his skin is almost scaly at times instead of baby smooth.  It didn't cause me to love him less; if anything I love him more as he stays happy through the itching and torment.

1. Ohma profile image81
      Ohmaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

My eldest grandson was the same way. Lots of oatmeal baths and learning what some of his allergies are and today at 13 his skin is smooth as a baby's backside.
      And for the Record I agree with LisaHW some people should not procreate.

9. MollyMiigwan profile image60
    MollyMiigwanposted 6 years ago

I personally think I'd love them even more because they have an individual feature, and that's pretty cool. ♥

10. Diane Inside profile image87
    Diane Insideposted 6 years ago

I'd love my baby no matter what, there are just some people who are much more shallow than others. It's sad but true. I feel for the baby with the birth mark, to have to grow up with a mother who does't love her. SAD!!!

11. 0
    pinkyleeposted 6 years ago

I would not do anything to alter my child's appearance and I would not love my child any less however my best friend's daughter had the same thing and she chose to have laser surgery or something to have it somewhat corrected though I didn't totally agree with it, it was my friend's decision to do it. I think her daughter is beautiful either way.

12. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 6 years ago

If a parent bases the love for their children on the children's physical appearance then the parent shouldn't be a parent.  Can you imagine the psychological damage the child would suffer because of the parent?  So sad....

13. freecampingaussie profile image45
    freecampingaussieposted 6 years ago

That is sad , Every child is an individual and special in there own way and should be loved the same >
    I was fortunate to have 3 healthy beautiful daughters all are now in good jobs and diferent personalities.
    We made sure they were well mannered ,polite , hard working and well liked people.
    That is more important than looks as a lot of beautiful stunning looking girls can be really bitchy nasty people.

1. Lisa HW profile image83
      Lisa HWposted 6 years ago in reply to this

In all fairness, being "The B Word" and nasty is not reserved for beautiful girls and women.  Lots of ugly girls and women do a pretty good job of being nasty too, and lots of beautiful girls and women are also nice.  I don't think a birthmark is enough to make someone ugly, though (not that that's even really the point here, though  hmm )  Someone who is really ugly is that parent who can't love her own baby because of a birth mark (or any other perceived "imperfection", for that matter.)

14. waynet profile image46
    waynetposted 6 years ago

No, because I'd want to help them get through it, whilst they are a baby or a really young child, they won't notice as much, but others may take the piss about it and that's not on at all.

If the birth mark could be surgically removed then all well and good, but even if it would cause problems to operate then no ones perfect and people should realise this.

If the parents don't support their kids with slight physical problems like this then what hope do they have to live a fulfilled life!

Lifes too short for worrying about trivial things like looks, it's what we do with our lives that truly matter!