jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)

work wear

1. BRIAN SLATER profile image85
    BRIAN SLATERposted 6 years ago

Is formal work wear on the way out, my wife's company is having more and more dress down days.

1. FindMyTeenFashion profile image61
      FindMyTeenFashionposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Absolutely!  Work wear has become gar more stylish, and a lot less traditional.

1. daniel0365 profile image59
        daniel0365posted 6 years ago in reply to this

agreed!! smile

2. Journey * profile image86
    Journey *posted 6 years ago

I would agree that it seems to be, especially in the summer time.

1. BRIAN SLATER profile image85
      BRIAN SLATERposted 6 years ago in reply to this

the thing is it's not voluntary which i could understand it's compulsory so everyone fits in.

3. timorous profile image91
    timorousposted 6 years ago

Why don't they give everyone uniforms if they want them to 'fit in'? lol

1. Chaotic Chica profile image85
      Chaotic Chicaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Agreed!

4. Sunny_S profile image60
    Sunny_Sposted 6 years ago

Informal wear helps employees to feel relaxed and allows employees to think their employer is a nice person (not) smile

5. I am DB Cooper profile image70
    I am DB Cooperposted 6 years ago

Except in places like law firms you don't see the suit and tie at work too much these days. Everyone is trying to be casual to keep employers happy, even as they extend work days and give less vacation time. With commutes getting longer than ever, people who have to leave their house at 7:30 to get in by 9:00 so they can work a 9-hour day aren't as willing to spend an extra 20 minutes getting ready in the morning because they have to be dressed formally.

6. Chaotic Chica profile image85
    Chaotic Chicaposted 6 years ago

Informal work wear is, in my opinion, a direct result from the degredation of honor and respect in today's instant gratification society.  Nobody wants to work hard or break a sweat trying to attain their lofty goals, they just want it handed to them.  Likewise, the theory seems to be that there is no point to dressing the part either, especially if they aren't going to play the part.  After all, what difference does a proffesional image really make, right? Chain of command? What is that? Of course I can talk to my boss like an equal, it's a free country, I can do what ever I want.  They hired me so they must want me ergo I can get away with disrespectful behaviour.  You want me to wear pantyhose under my skirt? Tsk. And the top can't be low cut?  How else am I supposed to look cute?  UGH!!!!!  Have I mentioned lately that I cannot stand how lazy the working world has become?  Nobody is grateful for their jobs anymore, which is doubly suprising given our economic condition right now.  Tradition has gone right out the window along with humility.

7. BRIAN SLATER profile image85
    BRIAN SLATERposted 6 years ago

I don't really know the answer to this but do you get more work out of employees on a dress down day? -otherwise what's the point. My wife works in an executive roll where it's normally smart dress, so why every other Friday is now semi-casual. eg no jeans

1. Chaotic Chica profile image85
      Chaotic Chicaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I actually feel the productivity level would decrease as a less formal attire would logically bring to mind less formal activities causing them to daydream more in anticipation of the weekend.  That of course would increase their speed, trying to get the work day over faster but it does not guarantee that the quality of work would not be compromised but rather it would imply the opposite. That is just my theory, though.

working