jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

Eye Make Up - When Is It Too Old?

1. GmaGoldie profile image88
    GmaGoldieposted 6 years ago

I keep things forever - the frugality in me - but for safety sake when is eye make up too old?

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You'll see it right away - it will be chunky  and dry, hard to use, clumpy. Then it's time to throw it away.

2. Chrystynsview profile image61
      Chrystynsviewposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Some people say that makeup has an actual shelf life.  Powder eyeshadows are said to have a shelf life of about 2 years, while cream ones have a one year shelf life.  At the end of the day, i believe you have to do what you feel is best.  Avoid keeping makeup in your bathroom though, the steam from the shower causes bacteria to build in makeup and decreases the shelf life of a product.

2. relache profile image89
    relacheposted 6 years ago

I was a makeup major in college.  You look for the same sorts of signs you'd see in a food that goes bad (changes in texture, smell, etc).  The biggie is if you get any sort of eye infection, as makeup can harbor bacteria.  Then anything you used right before you got the infection, or anything you used during has to be chucked out ASAP.

3. Ellarose92 profile image61
    Ellarose92posted 6 years ago

the color starts to fade, the scent it gets really dry and hard, a good rule for eye shadow is to toss out after 4 months i buy eyeshadows you always use instead of ramdom ones and if you do want a ramdom one get a sample or a small container of it so you get to use all the product before it goes bad

4. mysisters profile image59
    mysistersposted 6 years ago

Eyeshadow will last up to 2-3 years. Extra tip: A dark eyeshadow can double as eyeliner, in fact, most makeup artists swear by eyeshadow used as eyeliner. You'll need a super-flat eyeliner brush for this (MAC, Sephora and Aveda have great brushes). Get the brush a little damp and dab in dark eyeshadow (black, brown or deep jewel-tones work great). Wiggle the brush into your lash line focusing on the space between your lashes, then sweep the color just above your lash line. Works great!

5. Lippylisious profile image61
    Lippylisiousposted 6 years ago

Mascara 3 - 6months
    Powder makeup can lat up to a year, you'll notise colours dont go on to vibrant after a while to

If your eyes start to itch, it's definetly time to chuck away.

6. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 6 years ago

...too bad Tammy didn't read this...ouch!...this looks like it hurts!

http://www.bradfordshellhammer.com/assets_c/2010/12/tammy_faye_bakker1-thumb-400x495-426.jpg

1. camlo profile image85
      camloposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Looks like she was drunk when she plied that on.
      Who is it, anyway?

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 6 years ago in reply to this

...yes - for some reason with all the cash she made, no one brought the makeup thing to her attention! She's Tammy Faye Baker - was part of a christian type (ministerial) television show in the USA (with her hubby)....

1. camlo profile image85
          camloposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Just googled her, and found this:

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/4839639_f248.jpg

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
            SomewayOuttaHereposted 6 years ago in reply to this

...ha ha ha....that's funny!

7. profile image61
    tbm112posted 6 years ago

You're to throw out all make-up after 6 months

working