jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (16 posts)

What is the difference between white gold and sterling silver ???

1. profile image0
    ryankettposted 6 years ago

Reported as spam

1. recommend1 profile image71
      recommend1posted 6 years ago in reply to this

linked white spam or linked sterling spam ?

1. oceansnsunsets profile image90
        oceansnsunsetsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

lolll

2. Tammy Favata profile image83
        Tammy Favataposted 6 years ago in reply to this

ha ha

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
      mistyhorizon2003posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I now so want a ring made of 'spam', imagine that, I had no idea that white gold and sterling silver were both spam, I thought you just ate it in sandwiches (if desperate) big_smile big_smile big_smile

2. melpor profile image90
    melporposted 6 years ago

White gold is a mixture of some silver, nickel or zinc combined with a little copper to give the alloy a yellowish color  and this alloy is added to gold to make white gold. Sterling silver is practically all silver.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The zinc is usually added to harden the metal, so a small amount of zinc would be added to the alloy.

3. Ellarose92 profile image60
    Ellarose92posted 6 years ago

Ive always wondered this same question haha. i link just plain gold or sterling silver

4. Cagsil profile image61
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

One is gold and one is silver. I thought this would be self explanatory. lol

5. melpor profile image90
    melporposted 6 years ago

Cagsil, gold is not 100% gold unless it is 24 KT gold. Anything less will be gold mixed with other metals such as copper, silver, zinc, and nickel.  Sterling silver is about 93%  silver and the other 3% is usually copper.

1. Cagsil profile image61
      Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Melpor, I don't really care. lol But, thank you for the lesson. wink

6. Tammy Favata profile image83
    Tammy Favataposted 6 years ago

My wedding ring is white gold. They told me that it was actually yellow gold mixed with nickel. Then they dipped into something to "Rotiam Plate ii"??? ..... That's what the jeweler told me.

1. Ken Thibado profile image59
      Ken Thibadoposted 6 years ago in reply to this

White gold alloy used to be mostly a mix of gold and nickel, however some people are allergic to the mix (the reaction is called "nickel itch" actually).

So typically, if you bought your ring within the last decade it has less nickel in it to cut down on nickel itch and a certain amount of brittleness that a nickel heavy alloy is susceptible to.  The newer alloys have caused complaints that they are too yellowy.  As a result white gold is constantly being tinkered with to find a brighter whiter white (like light-bulbs!)

Rhodium is actually in the platinum family, which is where it gets its white color from.  But rhodium as a metal is too brittle to work with, however it works very well with electroplating, which is what your jeweler did to make it top white.

7. Powerpoe1 profile image61
    Powerpoe1posted 6 years ago

Gold is very mallable, it has to be mixed with a metal to add strength. However, gold is yellow but mixed with other alloys (metals) it turns white, but not a bright white. Rhodium plating is a process that only takes a few minutes. It's a liquid solution and many refer to it as a dip. But, it works like electrolysis and it makes the ring shiny.
    Available in the USA
    platinum- hypo allgernic

8. Loving Liberty profile image61
    Loving Libertyposted 6 years ago

A combination of differnt alloys to get the properties desired.

9. profile image60
    georgetilyouposted 5 years ago

gold comes out of the ground never pure but 3 colors.  yellow the most common. white  and green.

working