jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Do you buy "black owned hair products"?

1. Brinafr3sh profile image89
    Brinafr3shposted 5 years ago

The products that doesn't contain petroleum.

2. Ebony Eden profile image79
    Ebony Edenposted 5 years ago

I don't believe in buying traditional natural hair care products unless they are natural and contain no substances that I cannot pronounce.

For example, I will purchase something like African's Best Carrot and Tea Tree Oil, but something like Soft and Gro Hair Creme...that is a no no to me!

I have all natural black hair and I find my hair responds best to all natural things.  My regular regimen is- wash once a week with simple black soap, deep condition with an olive, jojoba,and coconut mix, and a little tea tree and carrot oil applied to the scalp if needed.

I let my hair catch a daily steam everyday in the shower to help replenish moisture and that is it.  I have found over the years that less is more and my hair responds to this hands off approach.

1. KySmith profile image84
      KySmithposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I totally agree with you. I love all natural products.

3. 2besure profile image81
    2besureposted 5 years ago

I prefer all natural products for my hair.  I have sisterlocks and not use much product except for my edges.

4. 61
    fuziimranposted 5 years ago

Very Nice Post

5. Shadesbreath profile image88
    Shadesbreathposted 5 years ago

I can't comment based on personal experience because, well, time saw fit to remove most of my hair... however, it seems to me the logical approach would be to find out what the alternative products are made of--both how they are better for the environment, and how whatever they have in them is better for me than petroleum products longterm (and proven).

The "green" industry and the "health" industry are both horrendously guilty of promoting "alternatives" to things that are less green and less healthy than what they are purported to be the "solution" for.

Caveat emptor.