jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (14 posts)

Does the media really put pressure on women?

1. TheBlondie profile image61
    TheBlondieposted 5 years ago

To be skinny, pretty, athletic....

2. Cagsil profile image84
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

1. rebekahELLE profile image92
      rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago in reply to this

of course they do! It's up to the woman how she responds.

1. Cagsil profile image84
        Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Of course they do not. Media is only good for pointing out the differences between people. It doesn't apply any pressure.

The only reason one would think it was a tactic is because they have no sense of self.

3. Joy56 profile image60
    Joy56posted 5 years ago

I believe men like girls with a bit of weight on them if the truth be known

4. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago

Cags, I know you have your theories about how life works, but #1, you're not a woman. The media bombards women with an 'image', everywhere she turns. [funny you should say no with your sexy women hubs hmm]

The question of the thread, is does the media put pressure on women?  simple. yes.
    Does the woman have to succumb to the pressure, no.

A woman can have a very healthy self image, and part of it comes from conforming or adopting/transforming an image because of media influence.

Your last line is your opinion and certainly not a fact.

5. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 5 years ago

not only on women but to the young girls as well who adore Kim K and sisters etc.!

Studies about youth perception of themselves behavior, attitude and  knowledge are affected by the media. Peer is the number one influence in the life of the youth.

6. cat on a soapbox profile image83
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

I suppose- if you allow it to do so.

7. BobbiRant profile image79
    BobbiRantposted 5 years ago

There is an African village that had no TV and no technology for eons.  As soon as TV came there, now their young girls are suffering from anorexia.  We get indoctrinated, not pressured and we do not realize it in any way, we just react.

8. recommend1 profile image70
    recommend1posted 5 years ago

There is intense pressure on women with regard to looks, body shape and the things they wear - this is a well known and well researched fact and part of considerable academic research and comment.

Why else are models too tall, too thin, too everything in fact except to  make their shape and clothes impossible to achieve - it is the base of all manufactured desire, to hold the impossible carrot in front.

9. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago

...of course it does...the pressure is on women - they are constantly bombarded with images...and to be young forevvvva and evva....

10. Stevennix2001 profile image82
    Stevennix2001posted 5 years ago

After reading everyone's post, I would have to agree with all the hubbers who claim that there IS a lot of pressure on women to keep a certain image by the media.  It's really ridiculous.  A perfect example is the comparison between Megan Fox and Gabourey Sidibe.  Don't get me wrong, after reading a hub on here a while back, I know there's a lot more to Megan Fox than her looks.  However, that still doesn't diminish the fact that she's a lousy actress.  Yet, she keeps getting a lot of roles mainly for her appearance.  Meanwhile, Gabourey is a Oscar nominated actress who not only can act, but she's a helluva a lot more talented than Fox is.  However, does Hollywood offer her any parts after "Precious?"  No.  Why?  Because she's overweight and doesn't fit into the typical hourglass figure that Hollywood demands.  Personally, I think it's sad, as I would love to see her and Monique in another film, as they proved in "Precious" they're great performers.  Yet, it seems rather sad that Hollywood would rather give Megan Fox and Lindsay Lohan parts over them.

11. celebritie profile image75
    celebritieposted 5 years ago

There has been cases where movie and television producers have demanded an actress lose weight or they would lose their jobs.

Tyra Banks, Jennifer Hudson, Raven Symone, Nicole Ritchie, Tori Spelling, Kelly Osbourne and Kirstie Alley are just a few who have admitted to the pressure to slim down for movie or tv role.

1. Stevennix2001 profile image82
      Stevennix2001posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Not to mention gain weight sometimes to increase their breasts size like Megan Fox did for the "Transformers" films, and Eva Mendes did to make her boobs naturally bigger for the "Ghost Rider" movie.