jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Are lipsticks, lip gloss, lip balms, safe to use?

1. seriousnuts profile image77
    seriousnutsposted 5 years ago

When you apply those lip products, it gets mixed with the food or drinks you consume. Are the ingredients of these products safe?

2. Diane Inside profile image87
    Diane Insideposted 5 years ago

supposedly here in the US anyway cosmetics have to be approved by the food and drug administration. So I'd say that it will be alright at least in the US, don't know about other countries

3. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

Some are, some aren't.  Despite the inevitable ingestion (about 40 pounds over the lifetime of a weekday wearer) they are not test for safety as foods.

4. Ladybird33 profile image71
    Ladybird33posted 5 years ago

Gosh, I hope not because I use them daily several applications to my lips a day.  Now I have to research it....

5. seriousnuts profile image77
    seriousnutsposted 5 years ago

I've been making some research lately as well. According to webmd.com, 90% of cosmetic products aren't tested for safety. I guess it's up to us consumers to keep our eyes open for products with hazardous chemicals.

6. Rafini profile image80
    Rafiniposted 5 years ago

Never could stand the taste of lipstick...therefore, I never use it. yikes yikes

7. Sneha Sunny profile image87
    Sneha Sunnyposted 5 years ago

Lip gloss and lip balms are fine I guess but longer use of lipsticks leads to blackening of lips.

8. 59
    imfloatingupposted 5 years ago

I would go for just a lip gloss and limit usage of lipstick. Even high-end brands may have ingredients that are unhealthy to ingest. For soft lips I'd suggest using a gentle sugar scrub, and applying a simple beeswax lip balm to keep them moisturized. Always read the ingredients of your cosmetics items!!