jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Pear Shapes and Dress Dilemmas

1. L a d y f a c e profile image85
    L a d y f a c eposted 5 years ago

I'm making a new dress and have a wiggle dress in mind. I know how to make it, so I'm good in that dept.

My problem is I'm worried I'll get it finished and it won't look good. I see Christina Hendricks wear them and rock them, but she's more of an hourglass, and I'm more of a pear.

I'm 35-28-38. Can anyone tell me if pear shapes look good in wiggle dresses? I haven't been able to find an answer through google, and I do so love these dresses!!!!

1. profile image59
      Sandra Wahlposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Amazing things can happen with the right foundation wear.  Make the dress.  If you don't like the resulting look, take a trip to the lingerie department and find a good shaper - but be prepared to spend some cash on a good one.  The "wiggle dress" (which is a modern term for the classic pencil or sheath dress) actually comes from an era when no decent woman would go without proper undergarments.  I think that's a concept that has unfortunately been lost on today's generation.

2. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I believe a "Pearshape" would look fantastic. If you got it flaunt it.

2. L a d y f a c e profile image85
    L a d y f a c eposted 5 years ago

Heh, I think you're right. I do have these things called spanx (sp?). I don't find they make an incredible difference, but a little. Thanks for the advice smile

3. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

Call me "clueless", but I don't know what a "wiggle dress" is.  hmm

1. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Sounds to me like a sheath dress, that you have to wiggle to get in and out of and can barely wiggle in to walk.

2. gracenotes profile image92
      gracenotesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Lisa,
      I think I've got a "wiggle dress."  It's very fitted through the bodice and very difficult to zip up.  The skirt part tapers at the hips, necessitating the use of shapewear.  Also, it's difficult to sit down in it, but I manage.

It's the kind of dress I wear to be dressed up, and never any other time.

Oh, by the way, Ladyface, I'm sort of a pear shape. smile

1. Lisa HW profile image84
        Lisa HWposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Dave Mathews and gracenotes.  Good to know.  I'd never heard anyone say that.  I was thinking it was a dress people put on with the idea of wiggling AFTER they had it on - not before.   lol

4. profile image59
    Doriene Gracieposted 5 years ago

Two things would help, I think--Extend the shoulder slightly in order to balance  the top with the  hip ,and in the skirt area taper  downwards so the circumference is less at the bottom than at the hip by quite a bit (baste first). then leave 3 or 4" slits in the side seams so you can walk and sit with comfort. I've been making a lot of my own clothes since the forties.  I've also designed successfuly professionally. You can do this, good luck!

working