jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

I Need Help Picking Out a Dress

1. melbel profile image92
    melbelposted 5 years ago

I have a formal event to attend coming up in a few months and I'm already freaking out about a dress. This is like gala type thing. Usually I'm an uber nerd. My idea of dressing up is wearing something other than jeans.

I want to look spectacular in maybe a tea-length dress, but am really unsure about the color and style and was hoping maybe others could help.

I know color is kind of skin tone, hair color thing. I have naturally VERY dark hair but my hair is currently blond. I am not sure if it'll be blonder or I'll go natural for the thing.

Normally I wouldn't care, but for this particular event, I HAVE to look amazing.

I am 5'4, thin, and NOT gifted in the chest region. I have pale skin and very dark eyes. Hmmm, I think that's all.

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww26 … photo2.jpg
    (you can see my skin is kind of pink)
    http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww26 … photo1.jpg

Any ideas on colors? Or at least things to avoid?

1. CASE1WORKER profile image85
      CASE1WORKERposted 5 years ago in reply to this

In th photo you look lovely in pink , but of course you had dark hair.
      Why dont you try a few gowns on, dont be fooled by an assistant, they may be helpful or they might just want to offload an overstock.
      Try some on and take some photos and then see how you feel

2. ursabear profile image60
      ursabearposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hi Melbel!
      I worked in a dress shop in Brooklyn, NY for a few years and we had a dress called the Butter dress. It was our top seller and miraculously looked amazing on every single body type. I never saw it not work for someone. The designer was a dancer so understood the woman's figure. You can go to the designer's website, it is butterbynadia.com For you I would suggest the Signature Jersey. There are so many colors you will find something great. It is an investment piece but so worth it! Good luck!

3. couturepopcafe profile image61
      couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Stay away from muddy colors like the ones you're wearing in your pictures.  I agree with the jewel tones - clear colors but not bright colors - think cranberry red, forest green, rich mushroom gray, espresso brown.  I went to the shopbutterbynadia.com site.  Some cute stuff and they are a bit pricey.

Stick with something from a boutique.  You look very kitschy, not really worldly, so stick to your genre.  Don't try to be something you wouldn't be comfortable being.  But remember, this is a formal event.  The genre of the event should dictate what you wear.  MOMA's 200th anniversary?  Understated elegance.  Music Awards Dinner?  More fun and creative.  Whatever you wear, make sure you are comfortable first and that it suits your personal style. 

For you, I would go plunging neckline (Goldie Hawn loved this style) OR plunging backline, long sleeved and slim fitting.  I tend to disagree with the padded, underwired trying to make something there idea.  Go with the waiflike figure you have and flaunt it.  The bust isn't everything.  Get your makeup done softly accentuating those big eyes and sweep/twist the hair softly away from the face.  No updos.  Choose ONE big accessory - bracelet, earrings, or neckpiece but don't overdo jewelry either.  It doesn't work unless you're either a gypsy, an aging eccentric matriarch, or posing in a jewelry ad.

If you would disclose what the event actually is, it would be helpful.  If the invitation says 'black tie', do not under any circumstances go with a short dress, leggings, booties or slacks.  You may think you are being 'different' but you will feel like a fool when you get there.

4. ediggity profile image60
      ediggityposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Get this dress, and you can quit worrying.

http://www.edressme.com/black-cocktail- … d3218.html

and here are your shoes
      http://couture.zappos.com/n/p/p/7832551 … 1B2163195C

Problem solved

2. 0
    Emile Rposted 5 years ago

I agree, try on plenty. I thought your shirt was purple in that photo and it did complement your hair color very nicely. I don't know how it would go  as a blond, but I can tell you from experience; sometimes what colors you think are no nos surprise you. Try a lot on, then take someone you trust along to thin  the choices down.

3. JIN1128 profile image80
    JIN1128posted 5 years ago

Hi girlfriend.  Since your bust is small, do wear padded, wired, pushup bra under the dress.  Since your skin is pale, lots of colors will work.  From what I can see, you should choose "cold" colors.  Royal blue, pinks or purple.  In general, cold colors are colors that have more blues in it.  I would suggest that you look at either www.urbanoutfitters.com or www.freepeople.com to choose your dress.  I love these two shops but I am not associated with them (I am not trying to advertise these two stores in anyway).  In my opinion, their dresses are just edgy, modern and very cute!

Here is what I suggest for you:
    urbanoutfitters' BB Dakota Jacquard Sleeveless Dress
    wear it with black tights / leggings and some studded bootie.

http://www.freepeople.com/clothes-dress … eve-dress/
    Maharani bubble sleeve dress - wear it with either black tights / studded booties or some very nice flats (like Tory Burch Reva Ballet flats)

http://www.freepeople.com/clothes-dress … ube-dress/
    this dress will make your bust look bigger than it actually is.  Pair it with some nice high heel sandals.  This is a little less formal.  I don't know if you can wear it or not at the event.  But it would be a great piece otherwise.

urbanoutfitters Cooperative Library Knit Dress
    This dress is very cute and good for fall.  Very appropriate for the office and professional environment.

Oh, make sure you put some makeup on.  Since your skin is pinkish, you should use a foundation to make the skin look flawless.  Curl your hair for some added sex appeal.  Ok, that's kind of long already.  I hope that will give you some ideas.

4. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago

melbel, I say, go for some chic elegance in a fun way. Since you say you're a bit of a nerd, (nerd rocks, you know!) make yourself dazzle with something unexpected!

I love the ModCloth site - it has some fantastic looks and styles to choose from.
    Here are the party dresses: http://www.modcloth.com/shop/party-dresses

How about dark?? I think this one is fabulous. It's a bit artsy and old world style.

http://www.modcloth.com/Modcloth/Womens … Arts-Dress
    Be sure to zoom in and look at the details.

I agree with adding some make-up. Maybe a friend can help you get that special look.

I would keep looking for you, but I have to go flat iron my hair before bed!
    Have fun looking and keep us posted! big_smile

5. prektjr.dc profile image89
    prektjr.dcposted 5 years ago

First of all, your natural coloring in hair will always give you the best look!  Don't be afraid to rock the look God gave ya!  With dark hair and eyes, you will look great and the jewel tone colors. Red, Purple and Royal Blue as well as that ever perfect Little Black Dress will look great on you!  Better yet, wear the little black dress with a shrug in one of those jewel tones and match it with a clutch and shoes in the same tone.  People will notice the pop of color and you will shine.  You can also glam it up with a pop of shine such as silver or gold if you are color shy.  Try on lots of styles and find the one you love and feel great in!  Attitude is everything!  Tell the sales clerk that you will buy the dress that you shine in, but not until you can ROCK it!!  She will bend over backwards to find THE one for you!  Don't be afraid to ask for the Manager's help if the clerk is just pushing a sale.  It is always better to have a happy customer who will return than to make one quick sale.  My guess is you will look great in a sheath.  Only the thin gals can pull it off, so don't be afraid to flaunt your thin! There are some great little black dresses at http://fashion.about.com/od/holiday/tp/lbd.htm to check out! 

NEVER wear leggings or booties to a formal affair, however tempting they may be, unless you are used to the edgy look and have the confidence to carry it off! Some of us fashionistas might, but as you state you are used to jeans, it would not be a natural look for you!

Call a Mary Kay or Avon lady or stop by the cosmetic counter at a department store and set an appointment for them to do your makeup the day of the event.  Tell them you want a natural glamour look and they will fix you up.  The curls are a great idea, but pull it up and back to accentuate your neck and shoulders! Shiny earrings will bring the attention to your eyes which will look great in the dark, bright colors!

Always wear a heel to a formal affair, but only one you can walk in well.  Adjust it to your confidence level, but definitely wear the highest heels you can!

Good luck and don't forget the smile!  You will look great if you have it on!  Have fun and be sure to let us know how it went!

6. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

I think a dark jewel tone would like great on you.  Like burgundy or sapphire blue.  there are some very nice dinner dresses out right now in shot silk if your budget can stretch to it.