jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Little Girls and Beauty Pageants

1. Perrymandias profile image61
    Perrymandiasposted 4 years ago

Little Girls and beauty pageants (Should/Should not be allowed to participate.

1. SmartAndFun profile image90
      SmartAndFunposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That would be a great topic for a hub!

2. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 4 years ago

Showcasing their talents is good like "Little Miss Talent". Imitating the other major beauty pageants - wearing make up, I think is not good.

3. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 4 years ago

I've never been a fan. Why start them so young competing for beauty or the cutest or most talented? Make-up on a preschooler is ridiculous.

4. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 4 years ago

I was never in favor of them and always thought they were exploitative.  But I’ve since changed my mind.  My daughter has several friends who have participated and have younger siblings who also participate in pageants and it seems to be, overall, a positive experience for them.  The kids seem to enjoy it and it boosts their self-confidence.  The pageants I’ve been to have been no worse than some of the dance/music recitals, gymnastics competitions, or horse shows my own girls have participated in.  Seems to me the positive or negative experience has everything to do with the type of pageant (there are different types some of which allow no makeup at all) and the parents involved.