jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (31 posts)

Are piercings still sexy?

1. Cristale profile image87
    Cristaleposted 4 years ago

I have 11 piercings and want to know if that is some thing that is still attractive these days? Most of them are in my ears, but some of them are naval, labret, and tongue, ect. Should I let them close up and heal?

1. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Personally, I've never found them attractive at all, but then, that's me... smile I think it depends on taste. Some people love them, and I think it's a love/hate thing.

Cristaleposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Okay, thanks for answering!

2. WriteAngled profile image92
    WriteAngledposted 4 years ago

Apart from pierced ears, I find piercings revolting. With ears, one piercing in the lobe is sufficient. Any more is unattractive.

If I was still in a position of employing people, I would never employ someone with a visible piercing apart from one in each ear lobe.

In my private life, I would not want to relate to anyone with piercings anywhere on their body except for one in each ear lobe, because seeing other piercings makes me feel physically sick.

What ever happend to if you can't say any thing nice, than don't say any thing at all! Older people do not like piercings, I know that. I meant for people in my age group.

1. Shanna11 profile image90
        Shanna11posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm a little younger than your age group, and I personally don't like piercings. I don't think they're really in style anymore (besides maybe a belly button piercing-- but those things make me cringe. I'd be terrified of it getting ripped out!)-- tattoos are in style (which I'm not a fan of either). I don't judge anyone I see with multiple piercings or treat them differently-- they just aren't to my taste.

WriteAngledposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You asked the question, I gave my answer.

Piercings are revolting and make me want to throw up.

If your generation is happy with them, that is fine. Unfortunately, for much of the time your employment depends on my generation. If you do not wish to take our tastes into account, then you will often find you are passed over in preference to people who have a decent appearance.

Unfortunately, this means many of you will remain unemployed benefit scroungers, which to my great regret means you will be subsidised to do nothing from my taxes.

This is why I haven't worn them, for career purposes and the fact that I am getting older.

2. Jessica Slade profile image59
          Jessica Sladeposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Write Angled...I think your attitude is disgusting. I feel sorry for anyone who was employed by you! I think you have a cheek considering the look of your hair!

3. Uninvited Writer profile image82
        Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Well, she answered your question. You didn't say it was restricted to some people.

3. Victoria Anne profile image94
    Victoria Anneposted 4 years ago

There is no correct answer to this question. It's all personal preference. If you like them then keep them! I think that people are becoming more acceptable of piercings and tattoos and they aren't a career killer like they  used to be. When I got hired at my current job I had stretched lobes, an eyebrow ring, and a nose ring and they  had no problem with. It's not like I work at some retail store either, I work at a University architecture office and interact with a lot of professionals. Since then I've taken out my plugs and eyebrow ring but it was because I wanted to, not because I felt like I should to please other people.

4. MelissaBarrett profile image60
    MelissaBarrettposted 4 years ago

I have a nose piercing and sometimes wear a small diamond stud in it.  I think it's cute as hell but it drives my three year old crazy.

As I'd prefer to NOT have a torn nostril I only wear it out.  Ex-husband hated it... current husband is indifferent... but I dated a wonderful Indian guy who found it extremely attractive.  I think it's completely personal preference.

I can relate to the man preference thing...And I understand about having a child to tear it out lol

5. Haunty profile image85
    Hauntyposted 4 years ago

I can only speak for myself, but I hate navel piercings.

6. Cristale profile image87
    Cristaleposted 4 years ago

Why are tattoos more socially acceptable than piercings?

1. Shanna11 profile image90
      Shanna11posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I don't think tattoos are necessarily any more 'acceptable', but they can be hidden and oftentimes people get a tattoo for a specific, very personal reason, and people don't generally pierce something for the same sorts of reasons.

I did. All of mine meant and represented some thing. More people are more conservative than I thought I guess, which isn't bad. I just know that I need to be a little more conservative, out of respect for others around me.

I do not think they are.

Again, as a representative of my generation, I would not dream of employing someone with a visible tattoo, because so many people find them offensive

If someone wants to commit to a life-long personal symbol on their body, they can locate this in a covered spot where it does not offend others.

Just curious...do you have any tattoos?  Maybe from in your college days?

1. WriteAngled profile image92

I would not ever dream of polluting my body with a tattoo.

The most extreme thing I did in my college days was to eat some biscuits into which a housemate had baked some pot. That was a one-off occasion.

2. Victoria Anne profile image94
        Victoria Anneposted 4 years ago in reply to this

My first two tattoos were on my back so they would be always be covered. When I got my third tattoo I decided to get it on my wrist because it is MY body and that is where I wanted it. It's extremely tasteful and a beautiful piece. Personally I find your prejudice to be offensive.

Fine by me. Just don't expect me and others like me to waste our money on employing you, because we will not.

1. Victoria Anne profile image94

I have worked at a school and I currently work in an architecture office. Clearly people are willing to employ me. Your argument is invalid.

Good for you.

I would not employ you.

Some people find it important to be as employable as possible, others do not. It's totally your own choice.

1. Victoria Anne profile image94

I would never want to be employed by someone as closed minded as you, so we have reached an understanding. Enjoy your night.

Fine by me. I would not wish to employ someone who is ignorant of general sensitivities.

Wishing you all success

2. MelissaBarrett profile image60
                MelissaBarrettposted 4 years ago in reply to this

And I personally would hire someone with blue hair and tattoos before I would hire someone in a suit.  But I value creativity and originality...

Different jobs for different people.  Employable is in the eye of the employer and not everyone has the same standards as you.

I have not worn a suit in the last 12 years lol

1. MelissaBarrett profile image60
                    MelissaBarrettposted 4 years ago in reply to this

LOL...

I do when someone dies or I have to go to court with my ex.  The last time my daughter saw me in a dress with the full hair and makeup she cried because I didn't look like me anymore.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image82
      Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Personally, I don't like either. However, it is up to the individual. I do not find peoples arms and legs covered in tattos to be attractive at all.

working