homemade handmade lotions and creams
Making Lotions (thin lotion) & Cremes (thick lotion) Seriously...I'm cheap and proud of it...I've also been saddled with Irish skin which equates with sensative skin..making most lotions and soaps a bad idea...Bath & Body works lotions can run about $10-$20...which is insane (in my opinion)...here's a cheap (about $2.00) way to make it (and it's SUPER EASY!!)
3/4 cup your choice of oil
2 tsp steric acid
1 tsp bees wax (not essential but I use it)
1/2 cup Water
1/2 tsp Borax Options: Color, fragrance, vitamin e oil, etc
1. heat the oil with the steric acid (for firmness of the product) and the beeswax until everyting is melted.
2. In a separate pot, heat the water and the Borax until boiling
3. While everything is still hot (Use a glass measuring cup to prevent melting the cup..lol) slowly add the oil mixture to the water, mixing with a hand mixture the entire time.
4. Keep mixing until mixture is cool.
5. Add the vitamin e oil and whatever else you would like to add.
6. Once mixed well, funnel into bottles.
A creme is basically 1/2 cup of oil per 1/4 cup of pure melted beeswax. So you heat the beeswax in a glass measureing cup until melted. Remove from heat and add the oil. Add any of the optionals as well, then heat again for 30 seconds. I usually hand whip after the last heating until cool.
No comments yet.