Top 10 ways to relieve dry skin dermatologist approved
Like a lot of people when the weather gets cold my skin gets dry. Things like cracking, redness and sometimes inflamed skin happen too. So here are the top 10 ways to relieve dry skin in the cold months to come.
- Use lots of moisturizer. Use non-irritating, hypoallergenic moisturizer, use creams with barrier repair formula in it this will help keep moisture in.
- STOP taking hot showers and baths. I know it's so cold in the winter and a hot bath sounds so good, but the heat in the water breaks down the lipid barriers of the skin which can lead to moisture loss.
- Avoid soaps full of fancy fragrances. Fragrance free is always best, some perfumes in soaps can further irritate your skin.
- Get more moisture into your home. Use a humidifier or if you use a wood stove like I do keep a big pot of water on it at all times while fire is burning.
- Wear gentle fabrics, often we don't realize the clothes we wear can be the main source for irritated skin. Try to use fabric that are natural and breathe, like cotton or silk.
- Use fragrance free laundry detergents, and try skipping the fabric softener. Use scented soaps that are all natural if you can find them, I know everyone likes their clothes to smell good so go natural and save your skin while still smelling great.
- Hydrate your skin, drink plenty of water.
- Avoid as much as possible exposing your skin to the harsh conditions when winter comes. Layer up and protect you skin.
- Protect your hands, chapped and irritated hands are very common even for those who aren't prone to dry skin. Use rubber gloves to protect against hot water and detergents. If allergy prone to latex wear cotton gloves underneath. And keep hands moisturized.
- If you skin is beyond home repair please see a physician of sorts. Find out what's happening and perhaps a prescription will be required.
Dry skin is a real pain, so keep your body moisturized you will look and feel better. Be happy and live healthy...
More by this Author
try some easy dip anytime of the year
My home is never without baking soda, the uses for this product are endless so it would seem. Check out the 100 ways to use baking soda that I have compiled for you..
I love this country it’s so beautiful and full of incredible natural wondersas well as man made havens. I compiled a list of 10 places that I think everyone should try to visit.