Word Tattoos: How to Customize Lettering or Asian Symbols
Word Tattoos - Lettering, Asian Symbols
In the past few years, word tattoos have swept the globe like a tornado. There are many varieties and styles. In all, they fall into two main categories: lettering, Asian symbol. People are excited to express their personality through writing. Lettering or letters designs are based on alphabet. They can be English, German, Latin, Greek, French, Italian, etc. On the other hand, some people prefer tattoos with Asian symbol, e.g. Chinese, Tibetan, Thai, Cambodian, Kanji, Hindi, etc. Let me offer some great tips on how to customize your words tattoo.
Word Tattoos - Lettering, Letters, Asian Symbols
1) Lettering or Word Tattoo - Color
Lettering tattoo or Asian symbols are done almost exclusively in black ink. Did you notice that? In fact, I think this is a convention that we are accustomed to. Black ink is used for writing, right? Well, I think it is time to change that belief. Whether you are getting a lettering tattoo or Asian symbols, try something unusual or different. It is worth it. Ordinary is boring. Instead of black, the traditional color, you can try:
- Dark color - navy blue, brown, burgundy, grey, etc. Your word tattoos would look classic and elegant
- Bold color - pink, yellow, candy blue, bright purple, grass green, etc. Your Asian symbol or lettering tattoos would have a spunky and unconventional look.
2) Lettering or Words Tattoo - Length
For your lettering tattoo or Asian symbols, the length is very important. You ought to consider the number of words for your ink designs. Say your ink reads “Death is not to be feared by those who have lived wisely”. You need to think carefully where and how to place it. It is often hard to fit long tattoo words. The only suitable spots may be the chest or back. This is because they have plenty of space. For short tattoo words, say your lettering or Asian symbols tattoo reads, “Fear not death”. There is a lot of flexibility on placement, e.g. the arm, neck, leg, rib cage, and more. It is flexible and easy to place, not to mention its attractiveness too.
Lettering Tattoo: Short and Long
3) Lettering or Word Tattoos - Size
Think about how big your lettering or Asian symbols tattoo should be. Put it differently, consider the size of your writing.
- Large words look bold and confident. They show audacity and personality. Also, people will think you have a big heart too! Large symbols can be your emphasis. They convey a sense of importance.
- Small words look cute and charming. It gives the impression of someone who is tender, charming, and thoughtful. The only drawback with small word tattoos is the lack of detail. They don’t allow for much detail.
- Variable size looks extraordinary. For example, with a word tattoo like “Forever stamina”, you can apply a larger font size for “forever” and a smaller one for “stamina”. The variation adds life and sexiness to your ink, definitely extraordinary! Even more, if it is a lettering tattoo you can use variable size for each alphabet. For an Asian symbols tattoo, you can do the same. Start the first Chinese symbol big, and alternate with a smaller size for the remaining symbols. In all, the choice rests with you. Do you want to be bold, tender or dynamic? Pay attention to the size of your words.
Lettering or Words Tattoo - Big / Small Size
4) Lettering or Words Tattoo - Alignment
Did you know that lettering tattoo or Asian symbols is writing? Because of that, you should think about the alignment, namely, how the text should flow. I have three suggestions for you.
4a) Lettering Tattoos - Horizontal Alignment
Horizontal alignment means that tattoo words flow sideway, from left to right. This is the standard for lettering or any letters designs. This classic style is adored and worn by many ink lovers. Look around and you will see that. For example, Megan Fox has a word tattoo with a horizontal alignment. It reads, “We will all laugh at gilded butterflies”. Her ink has charmed the public with lettering tattoos.
Lettering Tattoos - Horizontal Alignment
4b) Asian Word Tattoo - Vertical Alignment
Vertical Alignment is common among Asian symbol tattoos. Typically, words tattoos using Asian languages show a vertical alignment. They flow from the top to bottom, from left to right or right to left, which ever you like. This is indeed the best way to achieve a decidedly Oriental look. It gives a classic Asian feel that captivates every eye. For example, David Beckham has an Asian word tattoo with a vertical alignment. It has eight Chinese characters flowing magically from top down on his rib cage. His ink has sparked a worldwide fascination with Asian symbols tattoo.
Asian Symbol Tattoos - Vertical Alignment
- Chinese art, painting, calligraphy, stamp, Ngan Siu-Mui Art School, art class
The Art of Ngan Siu-Mui
Asian Symbols Tattoos - Calligraphy Style
Best Asian Symbol Tattoo Designs by Renowned Artist
- Chinese Calligraphy Art, Writing Tattoo, Quotes, Saying Tattoos
Chinese Calligraphy Tattoo, Tattoo Quotes, Sensuous Writing Designs by Montreal Artist Ngan Siu-Mui, Canada
4c) Lettering or Word Tattoo - Fancy Alignment
Fancy Alignment gives your word tattoo a funky and unusual look. For example, try a circular alignment, wave, zigzag or other stylish designs you can think of. Word tattoos are your personal expressions. They reflect your individuality and your inner soul. Be creative, you can come up with any fanciful designs to enhance the look of your lettering or Asian symbol.
Word Tattoo - Fancy Alignment
Writing Tattoo, Wise Quotes, Tattoo Phrases Video
More by this Author
Detailed guide on where & how to find sayings tattoo. Great ideas on wise sayings and phrases from Greek, Indian, Chinese philosophy, Bible, & Buddhism.
Circle tattoo is gaining attention these days. This includes wheel, round or any circular designs. Although circle tattoo is not a major ink trend, people are searching for ideas on style solutions. Do you know the...
Chinese blossom tattoo is one of the hottest ink designs nowadays. Many people, especially classic women and cute girls are fond of feminine styles. Asian flower tattoos like Japanese cherry blossoms, Chinese lotus,...