10 Reasons to buy a Western Digital TV (WD TV) HD Media Player
For some time now I was
looking for looking for a HD Media Player to connect to the TV. Initially
I tough making myself a PC Media Center, but soon I gave up since the
price tag was far from what I wanted to spend. Then I googled the internet
searching for a cheaper solution, and I came across the Popcorn Hour and
Apple TV + box. I ended giving up in all of the first three options as I
finally choose the Western Digital HD TV due to it's simplicity and mainly its
This unit is far from the level of a PC Media Center, or even a Popcorn Hour and Apple TV + box since there is no official network/internet connection (see 3rd party firmware link at the bottom) but it solves my problem and I don't get bankrupted just for only watching some movies. :)
Western Digital TV (WD TV)
The main 10 reason why I did buy the WD HD TV
- Simple interface. So simple that even a 10 year old kid can work with it
- On / Off time is very low
- It is small, both the player and the remote
- There is no noise
- 1080p :)
- There is no key to eject. To dismount a disk or a pen drive is simpler than in Windows. Click on the eject on the remote, choose your device and go. As simple as it can be!
- It's fast. Choose the video and it plays almost instantly
- It is not expensive, though I think the fair price should be a little lower
- It has the hability to have 3rd party firmware
- It suits well with my LCD :)
Another reason that made me choose the WD TV HD Media Player, was that I allready have here at home an external disc (Lacie 3.5' 500Gb) that I don't use except for making movie backups.
I mainly wanted to avoid connecting my laptop to the LCD, since it takes almost 10 min: removing it out of the bag, startup, cables...
It has some bad aspects that you should bare in mind:
- Showing photos is not for this unit. I haven't tested this feature much, but the results that I've come trough are not as good as I expected. Neither in quality nor in performance
- Doesn't "play" DTS. The solution is to convert the audio track to AC3 DTS before connecting the disc/pen to the HD TV. I hope the next firmware update solves the problem
- It Doesn't come with HDMI cable
- The remote doesn't have volume controls
Keep in mind that:
- It has no internal disk, it can be good or not. In my case it was a way to give life to one that already
- Easy to take at a friend's house
- Running Linux in the future may serve to do some tricks
- Part of the source code is available
- Fits well next to my TV which is glossy black
If you don't have one allready, grab one right now from eBay!
Unboxing a WD TV HD
Do you allready have a WD TV HD?See results without voting
Comments 4 comments
- Are Video Projectors better than Flat screen Tv's?
- Western Digital WD TV HD
Official Western Digital WD TV HD site.
- wdtv.org wiki
3rd party firmware for the WD TV HD