10 Ways A Young Person Can Help The Environment Today
Global warming and its consequences are rather alarming. One talks about the need of saving the environment - here is a list of simple things you can do to actually contribute to save the environment instead of just discussing it or suffering the consequences of it.
1) Plant trees or save trees: Think green. Saving trees will also help save wildlife.
The destruction of trees is the primary cause that global warming is taking place today. So if you can just plant as many trees as you can and ENSURE that they survive; you are doing your two bit worth. If you cannot plant trees, just make sure you can save trees from being cut down, or drying up and dying due to lack of water. Make it a point to water at least one tree or plant in a day, in your yard, garden or neighborhood.
2) Save paper: avoid taking unnecessary printouts. Use recycled paper. On a lighter note: Teachers, give your students less written work. Instead of getting each student to buy their own text books, the school can provide text books on a borrow-able basis as in a library. This will save the students of carrying horrendous loads of books to school and back- especially true for countries like India where student’s daily school bag weighs a ton with the amount of things some schools insist they carry!
3) Limit the use of air-conditioners- build up your tolerance levels and get used to living in natural whether and climatic conditions.
4) Stop using deodorant and aerosol sprays. Air conditioners, refrigerators and aerosol sprays use CFC or cholo-fluro-carbons. When CFC leaks into the atmosphere, it does deplete the ozone in the air. The Ozone layer is what protects us for harmful radiations of the sun.
5) Builders and architects should use less glass on outer walls of buildings in their designs. For example- a tall building with a glass façade from top to bottom will heat up in the summer. The amount of heat generated is just added to the already hot atmosphere on the outside of the building, especially in warm /hot countries. On the inside of the building- the temperature will go up a considerable amount, increasing the need for fans/ air coolers / air conditioners.
6) Conserve electricity. Switch off the lights, fans, air-conditioners/heaters when leaving a room if you are the last one to leave. Switch off any appliances when you are not using them or taking a break in the middle of an activity. Set your heaters and coolers to the optimum temperature. The sun gives off its energy for free, make full use of it; use solar energy where possible. Watch less TV.
7) Save water where possible- for example, turn off the faucet while you brush your teeth, turn on the tap only when you are ready to rinse or gargle. In the shower, turn off the shower while you soap / shampoo yourself , turn it on only when you are ready to stand under the water spray. Using a bucket and mug to take a bath instead of the shower will also reduce the amount of water you need. When washing your car, first dust off the dry dust. Wash your cars using a bucket and mop. You need less water that way.
8) Drive less, walk more - whether to school, office or on a date. Go for romantic walks instead of drives with your date. Walking is good for the heart, in more ways than one. Use a bicycle. All of this will not only help save the environment, but will also help you stay fit and in shape. It will also help reduce your weight if you are looking to.
9) Carpool if you have to drive.
10) Use less plastic. Use bio-degradable stuff.
Take your own shopping basket /bag along when you go shopping. There was an era when plastic carry-bags did not exist. The earth was a much healthier place then. These days plastic carry bags are used freely and they mess up the environment as most of them are not bio-degradable.
More by this Author
In the begining there was the word... Apparently the begining of creation was sound. The Universe is made up of energy. Different types of energy have different frequencies. There was a time when I assumed that it...
Ghee has many medicinal properties and health benefits. It helps to keep the internal organs soft and in good health. Ghee improves the health of the digestive system. It helps to soften hard stools so bowel movements...
Stand on one leg while your eyes are closed. That is all. Just try it right now, stop reading and stand up, close your eyes and try standing on one foot. If you are not able to stand for less than 10 seconds, it means...