Lenovo IdeaPad U Series vs. Sony Vaio TZ Series
Today we are talking about ultra-portable laptop computers, specifically the ones that measure 11.1" and that weigh barely 2.5 lbs. Two of the most popular laptops of this description are the Sony Vaio TZ series and the Lenovo IdeaPad U Series. Both are tremendously portable, reliable, functional and don't forget - beautiful.
Laptop computers can replace a desktop and are usually called desktop replacements. On the other hand laptop computers are meant to be portable. There again, portable can mean just moving it to the other room or carrying it to school and back. Then are the ones mentioned above that can be comfortably carried anywhere and everywhere you go.
I carry Sony Vaio TX series laptop in my purse. Where I go - it goes. It is not conspicuous and I do not have to carry two separate bags to have it at my fingertips.
Both the Sony Vaio TZ and the Lenovo IdeaPad U are similar. They both come in more than one color, both have 11.1" widescreens, both have security features built in, both have integrated cameras, both weigh under 3.0 lbs., both are stylish and make most of us drool. Both models will have the usual Bluetooth and internet connections. Both have a 1 yr. limited warranty included.
Sony Vaio TZ Series
Lenovo IdeaPad U Series at CES 2008
Of course they are not identical so here are a few features that separate them from each other.
- Sony Vaio TZ weighs approximately 2.65 lbs.
- Lenovo IdeaPad weighs approximately 2.42 lbs.
- Sony Vaio TZ has a carbon Fiber case (multiple colors)
- Lenovo IdeaPad U has an aluminum alloy case (red and black)
- Sony Vaio TZ offers both Microsoft Vista and the option to downgrade to Windows XP on some models
- Lenovo IdeaPad offers Microsoft Vista
- Sony Vaio TZ Processer is an Intel Centrino Core 2 ( U7600 and U7700), 1.2 GHZ or 1.33GHZ, 533 Front Side Buss , 2MB L2 Cache
- Lenovo IdeaPad U is an Intel Core 2 Duo (L7500) 1.6 GHZ, 800MHZ Front Side Buss, 4MB L2 Cache
- Sony Vaio TZ offers 2GB DDR2 Ram (533MHZ)
- Lenovo IdeaPad U 3GB DDR2 (PC-5300)
- Sony Vaio TZ Hard drives range from 100GB to 320GB (4200 Ultra ATA) with some models offering either a hard drive or an SSD or both.
- Lenovo IdeaPad U Hard drive is 120GB (4200) with an Active Protection System
- Sony Vaio TZ has a 11.1" razor thin display with 1366 x 768 resolution with some models offering an XBright High Color display
- Lenovo IdeaPad U has a 11.1" WXGA TFT display with 1366 x 768 resolution
- Sony Vaio TZ has an integrated Motion Eye camera (some models have a 1.3 megapixel Motion Eye camera)
- Lenovo IdeaPad U has an integrated camera
- Sony Vaio TZ has estimated battery life of 4.5 - 9.0 hours with the standard battery and up to over 10 hours on the extra capacity batter
- Lenovo IdeaPad U comes with a 7 cell Li-Ion batter
- Sony Vaio TZ has biometric fingerprint security built in
- Lenovo IdeaPad face recognition security built in
- Sony Vaio TZ has 2 USB 2.0 ports, Memory stick slot and 1 SD memory card slot
- Lenovo IdeaPad U has 3 USB 2.0 ports, and a 6-in-1 memory card slot
- Sony Vaio TZ is environmentally friendly and has the Silver EPEAT rating, the RoHS Complaint rating and is Energy Star Compliant
- Lenovo IdeaPad U is also environmentally friendly by being lead free, it is also RoHS Compliant and is Energy Star Compliant
Either the Sony Vaio TZ or the Lenovo IdeaPad U would be great ultra-portable laptop computers. Price wise they are comparative but since Sony has multiple TZ models the higher end of the line is quite a bit more expensive. It would just be up to you which features are worth the most cash.
Sony Vaio Models (These are models on the Sony Site. Model numbers may be different when sold on other sites such as Amazon)
- VGN-TZ2500 Premium
- VGN-TZ390 Premium
Sony Vaio Model Colors available
- Premium Black Carbon Fiber
- Rose Pink
- Champagne Gold
- Handmade Bordeaux Red
Lenovo IdeaPad U Models
- Lenovo IdeaPad U110
Lenovo IdeaPad U available colors
I can say that I love my Sony Vaio TX and would be very picky when choosing another laptop. The Vaio model that I would love to have is the VGN-TZ398U/XC. This Model has both a 64GB SSD drive and a 320GB hard drive.
I am leery of SSD drives as the only drive in my computer. Once a file is deleted it is absolutely gone. With the 320 GB hard drive I would have plenty of storage and the security of the trash bin. On the other hand I like the SSD drive because it boots so much quicker and the ability to move the computer safely while booted up is very attractive to me. I admit though that the prices are getting out of sight and I may change my mind on that point.
Disclosure: I may earn affiliate income if you make a purchase from this Hub
More by this Author
"I am too busy to begin packing now - I will get to that later". Au contrarie, start gathering now and sort later. Otherwise you will pack too much and possibly leave behind what you really need.
You have to take notes and you can never keep up with them afterwards.You wish that your notes would magically appear on your computer where they could be edited and cleaned up a bit. There is always someone wanting a...