Starting Your first site
What you will need:
- a word processing program (such as word or notepad). If you have a webpage building software program, then you probably do not need to look at this tutorial, as this just covers the basics. Most word processing software allows you to save your text in HTML format. You will need to check to see if your software allows you to export HTML text. A simple way to do this is to check your file save as features.
- basic English skills
Every webpage consists of an opening HTML code, head, title, body and closing parts of the same. These commands are contained within the <> brackets. Here is an example
You will notice that the <html> is not closed till the very end. This is because you want all of your information contained within that html page.Consider the html like the cover of the book. At the front you have the cover so you open it. You read all of the contents of the story from front to back and everything is presented. Once you are done, you close the book (hence the back cover) and are done. The same applies with the HTML tag. So, let us break down the in between parts for you.
- Head-Just like a person you need a head. This is how you identify your page. There are several ways in which you can do this, but the most common is by using the <title> code or a <meta> tag. I would say that newbies stay away from trying to enter metadata at this point, but it is worth mentioning in case you want to explore on your own.
- Title-have you ever wondered where those catchy little phrases on the top of some of your browsers come from? In most browsers now days you will find the title in the top left corner.
- Body- Again this is like a human body as well because this is where you put the 'fat' of you website. All you content goes into the body. The more content the larger you page will be content wise. The less information that is in there, the thinner it will be. Note: If you are making a page that you want others to find it is important to use key search engine words or phrases often so that a search engine will pick it up. ex. if you have an art site you would want to mention the word art a lot.
Let's make a page:
Ok now that you know what everything means lets make a page.
- Open up your word processing software. You will want to start a blank new document
- Type <html> hit return
- Type <head> and then return
- Type <title> and then type in: My first site ! </title> hit return
- Type </head> and return
- Type <body> and return
- Type your content: I can not believe how simple this is. Wow I really did it. Hit return
- Type </body>
- Type </html>
- Goto save as and click on the down arrow to choose a different extension then .wrd
- Find .html and select it. If you do not have that option type the name of your file then .html
- Name your file
- Click Save
- Go to the file that has your HTML and open it
- You have created your first page.
I hope you enjoyed this brief tutorial. In my next tutorial I will explain how to set up some of the bells and whistles for you guys new to HTML. Please feel free to visit my site www.siclari-studios.com and also to leave any comments and suggestions for future tutorials. Thanks.
No comments yet.