Best Digital Camera Under 150
In my opinion the Canon PowerShot SD1300IS is currently the best digital camera under 150 dollars. In this article we will take an in-depth look into the camera's features to determine: just what makes it the best camera in it's price range.
- Weight (with battery and memory card) - 4.9 ounces
- File format - pictures jpg and video avi
- Battery - Lithium ion rechargeable, takes 260 shots on one charge
- Maximum resolution - pictures 3648x2736 pixels; video 640x480 at 30fps
- Size - 3.5 inches wide, 2.2 inches high, 0.9 inch deep
- Maximum zoom - x3
The SD1300 doesn't have much zoom power, for a serious photographer (x3 only), but is plenty for an amateur. It does feature a large 2.5 inch 16:9 widescreen LCD monitor, it's perfect for viewing shots and showing them off.
The Canon SD1300 has a feature called Smart Auto. What it does is to automatically choose the camera shot's settings, based on 18 predefined shooting situations. With this feature the amateur photographer can get a good shot, without having to change settings every time. It takes a couple of seconds for the camera to auto adjust, but it is worth it.
The SD1300 has something called PureColor LCD II coating, on the screen. This reduces the chance of scratches and smudges, on the LCD monitor. It cleans easily and the screen has clear, good color for looking at your pictures. You can zoom in on photos on the screen by using the zoom toggle,. It works as well as zooming in on areas, using your computer.
The SD1300 has an optical zoom of 3x and a digital zoom of 4x this gives it a a combined 12x zoom. The SD1300 can get anywhere from wide angle to short telephoto lens coverage with ease.
The zoom is quick and quiet, and the lens does not make the unit difficult to manage, even when it's moving. I like that the lens retracts into the body, when I am reviewing photos. This keeps you from accidentally touching the lens, when handling the camera.
Canon has been making quality cameras for decades. So it's not really a surprise that our: best digital camera under $150, is made by them.
In short, the Canon PowerShot SD1300 IS is an affordable, lightweight and responsive camera that is easy for an amateur to use. It however does have enough features, for the more knowledgeable photographer to get a very precise shot.
Photography tips for beginners
- Keep your camera with you at all times - You never know when the perfect scene will present itself. This is where having a small, easily carried camera, like the SD1300 pays off.
- Make a list of subjects you would like to photograph - Use a notebook and when you think or come across a place that you would like to photograph, write it down. Then go there when the conditions are perfect and take that great picture.
- Take photos regularly - Practice makes perfect and taking at least one picture a day will help you improve dramatically, over time.
- Experiment with your camera's settings - Even with a easy to use camera, like the SD1300, there are a number of setting which can change the pictures you take. Experiment with the camera's settings and in different lighting situations.
- Use free online resources - There are many sites like Flickr and photography forums where you can get great information and tips for free.
- Enjoy it - With a digital camera there is no limit on how many pictures you can take. Go out and have fun, experiment. It is a great way to learn new tricks and improve your abilities.
- Find beauty in the mundane - It is possible to take a great picture of something mundane like a single flower in your garden or maybe an item in your room. Doing so teaches you a certain discipline and opens your mind to finding beauty in unexpected places.
- Don't use your flash, if it's more than 30 feet away - Doing this will just drain the battery without improving the picture.
- Keep only the best - Keep a digital photo album of your best pictures. Throw out the poor ones. Then challenges yourself to improve on your best work.
- Keep your camera level - If the horizon is off it spoils a good picture. You might even think about getting a tripod.
- It's not the camera it's the photographer - To make great pictures you need skill and experience. The camera is only a tool and even the best tool is nothing without the master.
I hope you agree with us that the Canon SD1300 is the best digital camera for under 150 dollars.
No comments yet.
More by this Author
Join me as I compare the top 10 content management systems. Find out which CMS is right for your site.
In newest garming GPS models 2016 I will shortly look at 5 of Garmin's best new GPS units. Most Garmin owners use their GPSs in their cars and Garmin has the nüvi line for them.The nüvi navigators are divided...
Ask any girl: What do you look for in a guy? The first answer is usually: a good sense of humor. With guys it is an important dating factor, but not quite as vital as with girls. If you think about it, being funny...