Cinemin Swivel Pico Projector review -- Portable multimedia pico projector
Cinemin Swivel review
The Cinemin Swivel, by WowWee, is a pocket-size portable multimedia pico projector that makes it simple to show and share your movies, videos, photos, games, and slides with friends. The Swivel is a versatile pico that uses Texas Instrument's DLP technology, and whose most noticeable feature is its adjustable 90° hinge which, among other things, enables one to project on the ceiling. The Cinemin Swivel is generally very simple to use, and it will project from a variety of popular media players (including iPhones & iPods). It has a small speaker and a 3.5mm headphone jack. The Cinemin Swivel has an autonomy of over two hours (a 3.7V 1900mAh Li-Ion battery, with approximately 140 minutes of battery life). Of course, you can simply plug it in a AC outlet.
The Swivel comes packed with two main connector cables that will connect it to a majority of devices.
1) A 30-pin connector & 3.5mm-to-3.5mm AV cable that easily connects the Swivel to the following Apple products:
- iPod Classic (5G and 6G models)
- iPod Nano (3G and 4G models)
- iPod Touch (1G and 2G models)
- iPhone (1G, 3G, and 3GS models)
2) A composite(RCA)-to-3.5mm cable that works well with a wide range of devices that have a standard composite (aka RCA) AV output, such as:
- Camcorders (most models)
- DV-cams (most models)
- Digital cameras (most models)
- DVD (and portable DVD) players
- Blu-ray (and portable Blu-ray) players
- Flip Video (most models)
- Vado Pocket Video Cam
You can connect the Swivel to your computer. Connecting a laptop or netbook to Swivel requires additional cables or converters, depending on your particular computer model. In general (keeping in mind that all computers are different), most PCs will require a VGA-to-AV converter such as the Cinemin Swap or the GEZ-1000 from GrandTec. And most common Macs will require a DVI-to-Video adapter from Apple.
Connect the Cinemin Swivel with...
How to connect to a computer
For laptops/netbooks with S-Video
- Use an S-Video & Stereo Audio to RCA Converter (SVHS to 3 RCA)
For laptops/netbooks with VGA
- The Cinemin Swap accessory (sold separately) is a compact powered box which converts VGA to an analog AV signal
- An alternative recommended by WowWee is Grandtec's Gez-1000 (available on this page, at your right -->)
For laptops/netbooks with DVI or mini-DVI
- The signal will first need to be converted to VGA, S-Video, or Composite (a variety of cables are generally available), and then to the above connectors.
Cinemin Swap - Please take note
At the time of this writing, the cinemin swap VGA-to-AV converter is not available yet. It is due out early this year. In the meanwhile, if you want to connect to your computer immediately, there is an alternative converter by GrandTec (recommended by WowWee) that is compatible with Cinemin:
Connection to other devices
Some devices have video-out functionality but require their own proprietary connector cable (sold separately) in order to work. Examples include:
PlayStation 2 and 3
Xbox and Xbox 360
Zune (all models)
There are a limited number of mobile phones (mainly smartphones) that have video-out functionality. The following models will connect to the Swivel (however, sometimes requiring a proprietary connector):
HTC Touch Pro
HTC Touch Pro 2
Nokia N97, N86, and N85 models
Sony-Ericsson C903 and C905 models
Note that the Cinemin Swivel does not have internal memory. Swivel's USB port is for charging only.
There is a reverse setting, meaning that the projection can be horizontally flipped. This is useful for rear-projections (eg. from behind a thin white sheet).
Resolution: 480 x 320 pixels
Contrast ratio: 1000:1
Viewable range: 5 to 81 inches (12.7 to 206 cm)
Diagonal image size: 6 to 60 inches (15.2 to 152 cm)
Aspect ratio: 3:2
Dimensions: 4.7 x 2.1 x 0.9 inches (120 x 52 x 22 mm)
Get the Cinemin Swivel
You liked this hub? Please rate it!
More by this Author
friv.com: Friv Games - www.friv.com is a site where you can play free online games. I asked my two sons, Jacob (9 years old) and David (12 years old) to share their thoughts about Friv.
Gmail vs Skype - Gmail rates vs Skype rates : A Comparison - Extensive list of international calling rates both for Skype and the Gmail / Google Voice VoIP services.