Cloud Computing : Properties & Overview
In traditional desktop computing we run copies of software in our own PC and data is stored in there, hence traditional computing is PC centric. Cloud computing is an emerging Paradigm in computer industry where the computing is moved to a cloud of computers. Here documents are stored on a collection of servers accessed via internet. The data is also stored in servers. Hence the cloud computing is document centric.
What is Cloud Computing?
The cloud is a large group of interconnected computers. We usually use the symbol of cloud to denote the complicated networks in circuit. That is why the name cloud computing is given for these network of computers. These computers may be personal or public. Cloud computing extends beyond a single company or enterprise. Access is via internet and it offers massive computing power and storage capability and enables wide scale group collaboration.Basically it is a coming back to the centralized computing infrastructure which was popular in 1950s and 60s.
Key Properties of Cloud Computing
The key properties of Cloud computing are
- User centric : This means once a user is connected to cloud any data there, such as images, videos, applications, becomes his property. Not only the data but the devices connected also becomes his and he can share it with other users.
- Task Centric : Cloud computing focus on what one need and how application can do it for us. Here documents are given more priority than the applications which create them.
- Powerful : Powerful in the sense that as there is large computers more computing power and mass data storage possible.
- Self Healing : Is called Self healing because hot backups are available for every document in the cloud. Hence if one document crashes there will be it's duplicate ready to run.
- Multi-tenancy & Intelligence: Multi-tenancy refers to sharing of data and costs across a large pool of users. As various data are stored in cloud data mining and analysis are necessary for accessing information in an intelligent manner.
- Programmable : Many processes in cloud computing shall be automate such as backing up crashed data with it's duplicate. Hence programming is associated with cloud computing.
- Flexible : Flexible as the users may be of different varieties and hence it has to match with their needs.
Understanding Cloud Computing
1. Understanding Cloud Architecture
Individual users connect to the cloud from their own personal computers or portable devices, over the Internet. To these individual users, the cloud is seen as a single application, device, or document. The hardware in the cloud is invisible.
Oracle Private Cloud
2. Understanding Cloud Storage
In Cloud computing data is stored on multiple third party servers rather than on the dedicated servers in traditional network data storage.
3. Understanding Cloud Services
The wide range of applications and programs include Cloud Services. Any web-based service or application offered via cloud computing is called cloud services.
Benefits From Cloud Computing
1. Reduces Run time and Response time : As there is large computing capability run time and response time get reduced.
2. Minimize Infrastructure risk : As there is service providers to provide necessary infrastructure and services infrastructure risk get reduced. We need not purchase infrastructure.
3. Lower Cost of Entry : For new organizations the infra structure and services can be rented and this reduces their cost of entry into the market.
4. Increased Pace of innovation : As the new and small firms can compete with the leaders in the industry with the help of cloud computing, this increases the pace of innovation.
5. Cost Conscious users are satisfied : Most of the users are cost conscious. They are well satisfied by the services cloud computing provides.
Cloud Computing Services
1.Amazone Web Service
Amazone web services is the set of cloud computing services offered by Amazone. Different services provided by Amazone are
a) Elastic Cloud Computing (EC2)
b) Simple Storage Service (S3)
c) Simple Queue Service (SQS)
d) Simple Database Service (SDS)
2. Google App Engine
Google App Engine allows you to run your web Applications on Google’s infrastructure.
The environment includes following features.
• dynamic web serving, with full support for common web technologies
• persistent storage with queries, sorting and transactions
• automatic scaling and load balancing
• APIs for authenticating users and sending email using Google Accounts
• a fully featured local development environment that simulates Google App Engine on your computer
Cloud Computing In Real Domain
Times machine is a New York Times project in which one can read any issue from Volume 1, Number 1 of The New York Daily Times, on September 18, 1851 through to The New York Times of December 30, 1922. It used Amazon’s EC2 platform..
• IBM Google University Academic Initiative
Google and IBM came up with an initiative to advance large-scale distributed computing by providing hardware, software, and services to universities .Their idea was to prepare students ‘to harness the potential of modern computing systems.’
SmugMug is an online photo hosting application which is fully based on cloud computing services which is based on Amazon’s S3 services.
NASDAQ which had lots of stock and fund data wanted to make extra revenue selling historic data for those stocks and funds. For this Amazon’s S3 service is used to host data.
Thus cloud computing provides a supercomputing power .This cloud of computers extends beyond a single company or enterprise.In cloud computing, there are large self-managed server pools available which reduces the overhead and eliminate management headache.The applications and data served by the cloud are available to broad group of users, cross-enterprise and cross-platform.Also it is a new emerging architecture needed to expand the Internet to become the computing platform of the future.
Have a look at these hubs
- Different Types of Network Attacks or Security Threats and their counter measures.
- Different Plants used for Generation of Electric Power
- Network Architecture : OSI and TCP/IP Models
- "How to Attend an Interview?" : Tips for Success.
- How to Make Money Online through Hubs and Blogs
- Maruti Alto K10: Differences from old Alto, Reviews, Features and Prices.
- How to Avoid Dandruff and Effective Dandruff Treatments
- How to Prepare For Exams: Exam Praparation Tips and Tricks
More by this Author
Detailed explanation about different layers of two main network reference models, OSI model and TCP/IP model.Detailed descriptions with diagrams and differences between both models are given.
Detailed descriptions of common types of network attacks and security threats. Will help to Understand the threats and also provides information about the counter measures against them. All the main seven kinds of...
- 28Various Plants used for Generation of Electric Power : Hydroelectric, Nuclear and Thermal Energy Plants Parts & Working
Different plants used for Generation of electric power. Working of power plants such as Hydro electric, nuclear and thermal power plants. Diesel power plants, gas turbine power plants etc. Explained well with diagrams...