Consumer Review of the Dell Mini 10 Netbook - System Specs & Product Details - Inspiron Mini 10 Pictures
I love this little mini laptop!
Last weekend, I purchased the Dell Mini 10 netbook. My 15.4" laptop finally 'conked' out and I was in need of an affordable replacement. I currently use this netbook to surf the web, read e-mail, word processing, watching streaming video, playing iTunes and playing flash based web games (like pogo.com). So far, I am really enjoying this little netbook.
If you're thinking about possibly purchasing a netbook, click here for my article on whether or not a netbook is right for you.
If you'd like to find out more about the Dell Mini 10 netbook, read on!
Basic Information & Overview of the Dell Mini 10 Netbook
This netbook cost me $399. There are less expensive netbooks, however, I chose to pay about $100 more for the exceptional quality and great features that are included with this netbook.
The battery life is 2.5 hours and I can watch a movie and do some web surfing before the battery dies. Oh yeah, netbooks don't have a dvd or cd drive...you'll have to download everything or transfer it via a memory card or usb stick.
You won't be able to play heavy graphic games like the Sims 3, but you can play simple games like Diner Dash or internet flash games.
It plays music fine (no skipping), but the speakers aren't fantastic. Since you'll probably be using headphones, it's no big deal. Make sure to use speakers if you want to play music at a party.
- 3-cell battery, 2.5 hours run time - My netbook is my first laptop that has a battery life that is identical to the product specifications. With normal use, I get almost exactly 2.5 hours. I keep the screen dimmed, but can watch an entire movie online and surf around the internet. Dell is supposedly offering a 6 cell battery soon and I will definitely upgrade to that. Right now, 2.5 hours is plenty of time for me.
- 1GB installed memory
- 160GB hard drive - Since there is no DVD drive, this hard drive is coming in handy for transferring my DVDs to my hard drive and for my massive music collection. It'll be hard to use the entire 160 gigs, though!
- 10.1" Widescreen LCD (1024x576) display - I love this widescreen display. Even though the screen is small by typical standards, the widescreen feature really enhances web browsing and document editing.
- Intel® Atom™ Processor Z520 - I don't know much about this processor other than the commercial I've seen on TV. Apparently, the processor itself is the size of a pea. That's incredible. Watching HD video when running other applications (web browser, outlook) is not going to be possible to do in full screen. In order to watch HD video, I have to make sure nothing else is running. Sort of a pain, but I'm not going to be using other programs while watching a full screen video, anyway. Streaming video online is generally ok when viewed as a full-screen.
- Built-in 1.3MP webcam - I'm not really going to use this feature although it is pretty funny to play around with. The quality isn't grand and has a slow response rate on the screen. If you want to use it to take still pictures, it's ok. Just make sure you have ample lighting. The picture effects are really fun and there are more that you can download online. One funny effect enlarges your eyes and makes you look like an alien.
- Wireless 802.11g (1397) Mini Card - The wireless is super fast, making this a fantastic netbook to surf the web with.
- Media Card Reader - I love having a built in media card reader in my laptops, so this feature was very important to me. Very convenient.
- Microsoft Windows XP Home - I refuse to start trying Vista. I'm waiting for Windows 7. Windows XP is fine with me! I know how to use it well and it works great on this netbook.
- Dimensions 1.12"H x 10.28"W x 7.19"D (2.86lbs) - The keyboard on this netbook is almost full sized (I believe 92% of a regular keyboard). I have little hands and it'd even be fine for me if it was smaller. I can actually type faster on this netbook because of the size.
- 1 year warranty - I never purchase service agreements so while a 1 year warranty is pretty standard, I do appreciate it. My last laptop (a Toshiba) had the screen backlight go out in the first year and it's warranty saved me a lot of money.
- HDMI Outlet - This allows me to hook up my mini netbook to my big screen tv. I haven't tried it yet but am really excited to do so! I'm hoping that the resolution will be ok. I'll update once I purchase the cable and try it out.
- Other - In addition to everything else, the Dell Mini 10 has 3 USB ports (2 would be plenty!) & 1 microphone and 1 audio jack. The touchpad is superb, in my opinion and the hardware is extremely customizable for sensitivity. The left/right buttons are built in, so there are no extra crevices to allow dust and crumbs to accumulate.
Check At Amazon for the Lowest Prices! As of 5/28 - Only $349 for the Black Model!
Should You Buy A Dell Mini 10?
If you are looking for a small, convenient netbook that travels well and has a good battery life, then I'd definitely recommend it. It's perfect for everything that I do on a computer so for the time being, it's a perfect replacement for me. If you have larger hands, poor eyesight or are into resource heavy gaming, you definitely can't replace your current PC or laptop. However, many individuals purchase netbooks to keep in the kitchen or for use when traveling because of the portability factor. That being said, netbooks are definitely starting to become affordable and helpful for everyday use. It's a great little accessory that can fit right in your purse or briefcase.
Essential, Cheap Dell Mini 10 Accessories
More by this Author
If you're a huge fan of tycoon business simulation and strategy games, why not give these two web-browser based (no download necessary) online music industry simulation games a try? Try your hand as a manager in Project...
I recently wrote an article on Low Fat Breakfast Ideas and lo and behold, it has gotten lots of positive responses. Awesome! So, I thought readers would enjoy another article for Low Fat Lunch Ideas. This article will...
Find out the basics of weight loss.