Cricket Wireless ZTE Score Is The Least Expensive No Contract Android Phone At $69
Its True - An Android For Only $69
I could hardly believe it myself when I heard the news that Cricket Wireless was going nationwide (they were formerly only a regional provider) and that they would be offering a $129 Android phone featuring their new Muve Music service.
Best Buy was Cricket's exclusive launch partner, and on launch day, Best Buy priced the ZTE Score at $89. Walmart was the next partner to start carrying the ZTE Score, and they priced the ZTE Score at a shocking $69.
Until recently, an Android phone at $129 would have been the least expensive no contract Android phone in the marketplace on its own. Since Cricket Wireless' launch of their ZTE Score phone, the prices of some Virgin Mobile Android phones have dropped to meet the competition of this lower price and to make way for the two new phones Virgin Mobile just released (the HTC Wildfire S and the LG Optimus Slider).
No one in the prepaid phone market can match Walmart's $69 price tag for an Android phone, especially one running Gingerbread Android 2.3 and has a 3.5 inch screen.
Needless to say, I was extremely skeptical about the ZTE Score initially because the wise saying " You get what you pay for" really holds true most of the time. In the ZTE Score's case, I must say that it is really pretty decent.
What I like most:
- It is super fast
- Great battery life (compared to similar phones)
- Latest Android OS 2.3 for phones
- Runs games like Angry Birds and Need for Speed VERY well
- The screen size is slightly larger than most prepaid Android phones, and the fingers can tell.
- The form factor is VERY Iphone 4 - just slightly larger - slightly.
What I like least:
- It has a very plastic feel to it and the insides are more plastic based than say the LG Optimus V from Virgin Mobile.
- The internal space for the user to install apps is right around 100MB after all the on board applications update themselves the first time. This is REALLY low.
- If you buy the phone with no intention of activating it on Cricket Wireless and just want to use it as a wireless only mini-tablet or Ipod touch alternative, you have to keep the mobile data box checked to "On" or the phone will randomly shut off.
Advanced Topics - Rooting
At first, rooting the ZTE Score was a bit of a challenge because the regular one click wonders were not working.
This has been cracked, and I'll leave it to you to get the info on how to Root the ZTE Score and on how to Unroot the ZTE Score from:
Rock That Mobile - Overview Review
Bought One? Talk to Us!
Was it worth it?See results without voting
Walmart's Feature List
- Built-in Wifi
- Android OS
- 3.2 megapixel camera
- Video capable
- Downloadable games
- Music player
- Access to Android Market
- Technical Profile:
- Batery: Li-Ion
- 3.5″ HVGA touchscreen
- SMS and MMS
- Instant messaging
- Included:GB SanDisk memory card
More by this Author
Virgin Mobile will begin limiting data usage speeds on its Android phones starting in March 2012 (formerly in October, 2011). Learn how to monitor your data usage now.
Magic the Gathering on your Android mobile phone or on your Android tablet. MTG expands in Android Market. Get your Magic the Gathering game on with these apps designed to up your game.
Google Play is not the only Android app store out there! Get in on the fun and freedom of the Amazon Appstore, F-Droid, GetJar, Opera Appstore, Soc.io Mall, 1Mobile Market, and many more. Best Apps!