Powertel 500 Cordless Phone Power for Grannies
Amplicon Powertel 500 Cordless Phone
The new Powertel 500 Cordless Phone is the phone I'd been looking for for my Daddy. Yes, I was a granny with a Daddy (and he was a proud great-grandfather of four adorable little tykes). When my Mom passed in March 2007, it's been quite a struggle for him to "keep going" at times-- especially since parts of him-- like his hearing and eyesight-- were going. My dear younger brother did opt to buy him a phone like this one, and he called us all regularly.
This is the cordless phone that you want to get for your elderly parent-- read positive reviews by clicking on the phone above.
Why is the Powertel 500 Cordless such a great idea for my Daddy and other frail elderly or vision/hearing-challenged folks?
- first off (and this might sound whack to all hi-geeks out there) the Powertel 500 is a PHONE-- it's about as hi-tech as my 80-something Dad ever managed. He liked to keep in touch with all his "kidlets" (yes, sweet-- I was over 60 and was still called "kidlet") and a phone is his best friend. Even the IPad with its large onscreen keyboard requires a sort of co-ordination that he no longer had.
- This phone has HUGE dark colored numbers on a white background on its keyboard. Extremely important for my Dad who had shaky hands and poor vision (although he did have his cataracts removed at 85, he still had shaky hands)
- Powertel 500 Cordless has standard features like caller-ID on a brightly lit screen. My Dad was still a little thrilled that he knew who is calling before he heard a voice. He actually had a couple of rip-off artists call to try to get him to meet them over at his bank teller, and after that he didn't answer those unknown-caller calls. He really only wanted to see numbers belonging to his "kidlets", old cronies, and assorted relatives.
- Powertel 500 Cordless can be amped up to 50 dB which provides good hearing, and for those with hearing-aids (not my Dad...), they can leave their apparatus on/in because the phone is TIA 1083 compliant.
- Wow-- 11 hours of talk time and 100 hours of standby, both important features to a somewhat absent-minded guy like my Dad (not new to his age-- he'd always been preoccupied with deep thoughts). It freaked us out when he forgot to put his previous phone back into the recharger overnight and we couldn't get him the next day because the batteries had run down.
- When this phone rang, the LED lights blazed brightly with enough lumen power to alert even the bleary-vision of someone with thick cataracts
- And just in case my Dad wanted to pretend that he has a cell phone like some of his more tech-savvy friends or grandkids, the Powertel 500 Cordless has 9 different ring tones available
- The Powertel 500 Cordless is made by Amplicon, a German subsidary company, that has manufactured devices for those with sensory impairments for several years
- The cost is reasonable and is well worth the pleasure, clarity, and meaningful connection older folks enjoy with this phone
Amplicon's Powertel 500 Cordless
Some Related Hubs on Gadgets for Grans
- Daily Granny Gram: Boil Buoy for Boomer Cooks
Ever gotten so involved in a social network on the internet that you forgot about the pot of water you put on to make some pasta? Worried about your aging mom doing that and maybe burning herself when she go...
- Daily Granny Gram:Warm Heart, Battery-Heated Outerwear
* image of "Winter" courtesy of Jan Zabroda at StockXching The concept of battery-heated outerwear took a long time to hit the store racks and regular people's backs in this Canada, this Land of Overwhelming...
- Daily Granny Gram:ALTAZ Internet Clock-Radio With Photo Display & MP3
ALTAZ, a respected Silicon Valley personal consumer electronics manufacturer has teamed up with America's top electronics distribution firm, D&H Distributing, to launch the Altaz Internet Clock Radio Weather...
- Daily Granny Gram: New Security with Electronic PeepHole Viewer
I'm a grandmother myself and experience some mild frustration and embarrassment when I have occasional gaps in memory or feelings of vulnerability. It is a total thrill for me to find that someone (elves?)...
More by this Author
If you have a sore, injured knee, here are 7 natural ways to make it feel better. A sore knee is pretty common these days. Reflexology, Rebounding are only some of the ways that you can use to make your sore knee feel...
This Daily Granny Gram reviews the Electronic PeepHole Viewer as a means for increased security for older persons. The PeepHole Viewer does not require special skills to mount or use.
How can I get rid of the moles in my garden? This article looks at some "traditional" and historic ways of dealing with mole "pests" and some more natural current ways of managing this problem.