Desktop Support Engineer Interview Questions and Answers
When you apply for a desktop level job, besides asking general questions about yourself, the interviewer will also ask you questions that test your technical proficiency.
Desktop Support Engineers are required to have deep understanding of basic as well as intermediate level concepts. The interviewer can ask you to explain the concept of OSI model or TCP/IP model or can also ask you fact-based questions to test your memory power. They can ask you questions on Desktop or Server level issues.
List of Probable Questions
- What are the types of operating system?
- Give examples of NOS (Network Operating System) and SOS (Server Operating System).
- What is the difference between FAT and NTFS?
- What are enhancements in Windows 2003 from Windows 2000?
- What are enhancements in Windows 2003 from Windows NT?
- What is Active Directory?
- List types of firewall.
- What is the difference between hardware and software firewall?
- Name the seven layers of OSI model.
- How to enable Firewall in Windows XP?
- How to disable Firewall in Windows XP?
- What are the minimum system requirements of Windows XP, Vista, 2003, and 2008?
- Explain ping command.
- Explain cookies.
- How do you boot the computer in Safe mode?
- What are the types of printer?
- Explain last known good configuration.
- What is disk clean up, disk defragmentation, device manager, and system restore?
- Explain the differences between USB port and Firewire port?
- How do you install a printer in Windows XP?
- What is a browser and name any 5 browsers?
- What is the difference between a serial port and a parallel port?
- What is a port number?
- Where is the HOSTS file located?
- Explain different RAID levels.
- Explain APIPA, IP address, and Subnet mask.
- Explain the difference between IP v4 and IP v6.
- How do you remove a virus from a computer?
- How do you make a computer run faster?
- What is attrib command?
- What is edit command?
- How do you copy a file or folder using copy command?
- How do you format the hard disk using command line utilities?
- Explain mkdir, rmdir, and chdir commands.
- Explain the types of hard disk.
- What is the difference between primary and secondary partition?
- What are the types of backups in Window OS?
- Explain the differences among differential backup, incremental backup, and copy backup.
- What is remote desktop?
- What is the difference between recovery console and automated system recovery?
- What is NTLDR file?
- How do you tackle "missing NTLDR file" error?
- How many bytes are there in MAC address?
- Name the range of Class A IP address.
- Name the range of Class B IP address.
- Name the range of Class C IP address.
- What is the default subnet mask of Class A, Class B, and Class C IP address?
- What is BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) and how do you overcome it?
- What is the difference between preferred DNS and alternate DNS server?
- What is the transmission speed of T1 carrier?
I could go on and on forever writing questions and you could also go on and on searching for "Desktop Support Engineer Interview Question," but the fact is that if you are going for L1 (level 1) positions, you only need to do your basics well.
You have had the training, practicals, and stuff like that, now answer the questions in your words. Simply mugging up the answers will a be a recipe for disaster.
A quick Google search of the question will reveal all the answers. Surf for the answers and in the process you'll learn, and once you learn you won't forget at the time of the interview.
Besides fact-based questions you will also be tested on your practical skills. They could ask you to do the easy task of installing the operating system in front of them or even ask you to solve a problem faced by a user right there.
Get properly dressed and don't excessively stare the receptionist (lol).
Do You Still Want Answers?See results without voting
Download the Questions as a PDF file
Some Objective Type Questions From the Above List
How to appear for an Interview
More by this Author
Find tips and suggestion to create resume for desktop support engineer jobs. Also find resume sample formats.
Desktop support engineer jobs are increasing, and if you are looking to make your career in the IT industry, read this to learn more about the work, salary, and ways can grow in your career.
A list of the top 30 best Hindi comedy movies of all time, from Padosan to latest best hindi comedy movies.