Download and Run the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Cleanup Utility (mbam-clean.exe)
When To Use the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Cleanup Utility
Malwarebytes provides a cleanup utility that will completely remove their Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware software, including all registry entries. You may run this utility for any one of a number of reasons:
- You find that you cannot uninstall the software from the Add/Remove Programs (XP) or Programs and Features (Vista/Windows 7) sections of the Control Panel;
- You have tried uninstalling and reinstalling to solve a problem, but the problem persists;
- Your software installation has been corrupted by malware, and needs to be completely cleaned up before reinstallation;
Whatever your reason (please let me know of any others in the comments section below), you need the power of a deep-cleanup to help you completely remove the software for good, or to set the stage for a truly fresh reinstall.
How to Use Mbam-Cleanup.exe
Follow these steps to ensure the best results when using the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Cleanup Utility:
- Uninstall the Anti-Malware software normally from the Control Panel (if you can);
- Restart your computer;
- Download the utility from here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-clean.exe
- Run the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Cleanup Utility
- Restart your computer
- Download the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- Reinstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Alternative Anti-Malware Software
A Note About Cleanup Utilities
Keep in mind that there are quite a few cleanup utilities available for download, for a variety of programs. In general, if you are having trouble with a software installation, and find that uninstalling, restarting your computer, and reinstalling does not help, you should start looking for a cleanup utility for that software. They may also call the cleanup utility an uninstaller, remover, uninstall tool, removal tool, or uninstall utility (please let me know in the comments section of any other phrases you learn of).
I have compiled a list of some Antivirus Cleanup Utilities for your convenience.
More Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Help
- [Solved] Fix Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Error Code 2
You may see one of the following messages when running (or, more accurately, attempting to run) Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware: A dialog box titled 4rm MalwareBytes, with the following message: [Open Event]...
- [SOLVED] Fix Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Error 730 (0, 0)
The official error text is: Error 730: Unable to load the database. Please reinstall the application. This suggests that there is something wrong with the database, or that the program itself is unable to...
More by this Author
I you are getting the following error in Microsoft Outlook, your outgoing email server is telling you that Outlook has not given the proper credentials to the server; your current account settings are not properly...
Learn how to fix Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware error code 2.
Learn how to fix error 109 in Adobe Acrobat.