FTP – How File Transfer Protocol Transmit files
How files are transferred to the internet using File Transfer Protocol
FTP allows you to transfer or share files over the network with only remote system that supports the file. It includes a client and server portion. The server ftp listen to a session initiation request from client ftp, file may be transfer in either direction as discussed below
File transfer protocol employees two separate TCP connection to accomplish a file transfer on the internet. A control connection is used to pass control information in the form of commands and replies back and forth between the ftp processes running in each system. A data transfer connection is used for the actual transmission of data file and acknowledgement
The ftp process in the system that is making the file transfer request is called the ftp client. The ftp process in the system receiving the request is the ftp server. File transfer process involves in executing a file request is as follows
- User – a user invokes the ftp server and passes the ftp client, the name of the server to receive the request. The ftp client opens a TCP connection with the ftp server on the designated system using the standard destination port number associated with ftp. ftp connection is referred to as the control connection
- The ftp client sends commands to the ftp server with the account name and password of the users. The ftp server allows the receiving system to perform any necessary authentication of the users access right and send replies back to the ftp client indicating whether authentication was successful
- The ftp client sends commands indicating the file name, data type, file type and transmission mode to be used for the transfer and whether the ftp client will send a file to the ftp server or receive a copy of a file from the ftp server. the ftp server sends replies indicating whether or not the file transfer option are acceptable
- The ftp server opens another TCP connection with the ftp client to use for data transfer using a destination port number previously send to it by the ftp client
- The sending ftp process packages data as agreed upon in the options and sends it to the receiving ftp process using data transfer connection. Standard TCP flow control, error checking and transmission procedure are used to ensure that the files is transferred correctly and completely
- When the entire file has been transferred the sending ftp process closes the data transfer connection. The control connection can then be used to begin another data transfer operation or it also can be closed
Relsted Hubs to read
- What is NETBIOS – Network Basic Input Output System?
It is an interface between transport and session layer of the OSI model. The name NETBIOS refers to network extension of the facilities that have historically been provided by the Input/output system (BIOS)...
More by this Author
Topology is a characteristic of a Local Area Network. It is both the physical configuration of the cabling used to connect computers in the network, and the logical way in which the system views the structure of the...
A repeater is the simplest facility used for network interconnection, whose major function is to receive a network signal from one LAN terminal cable segment and to regenerate and retransmit the signal as it is in its...
Writing minutes these days is not left to the secretary alone. With the availability of portable computers you may attend a meeting without your secretary and you are required to produce minutes. Many people do not know...