How to Give Custom Domain Name to Blogger Blog?
I am running three blogs over Blogger platform. Blogger is a free and simple to use service with so many great features. Where so many other hosting services charge you to give a custom domain name to your blog or website, Blogger offers this for free. If you have a domain name, then you can give it to your Blogger blog for free. But first, you should have your own domain name. Domain name is the address of your blog, that one could type in the address bar of his web browser. You can buy domain name on a nominal costs, like $10 per year. There are so many websites from where you can buy domain names. Some of those important websites are GoDaddy.com, Name.com, Sedo.com. After purchasing a domain name, you are ready to give a custom domain name to your Blogger blog.
Custom Domain Name to Blogger Blog
- Go to blogger.com. There will the list of your blog. Enter into the "Settings" of blog to which you want to give a domain name.
- In Basic Settings, there is "Publishing" section. As shown in the image, here is the option, "+ Add a custom domain". Click it! Thus, you may point your own registered domain to your blog.
- As shown in image below, if you don't have a domain name, you can buy one with Google partners. The cost of a domain name will be $10. As a part of domain name registration, you will also get the Google Apps account.
- Type the domain name in the given specified space and then check it's availability. If it's available, you can give it to your blog after purchase.
- If you already have a registered domain name, you may switch to advanced settings.
- The advanced settings section is as shown in the image below.
- Now, you have to do some modifications in your domain name settings. Find the control panel on your domain registrar’s website. You have to modify CNAME and A-records. If you don't have an access to these settings, contact your registrar.
Modifying CNAME and A-records
- While modifying CNAME records, type "www" in front of Name and type "ghs.google.com" in front of Host Name. Type only the words within quotations ( " ). You should not type quotations.
- Now, to link your naked domain (example.com) to your actual site (www.example.com), you have to modify your A-records. Create four A-records with example.com (Here is your registered domain name without "www"), which will point to the following four IP addresses.
Back to Blogger Advanced Custom Domain Name Settings
- In advanced custom domain name settings of Blogger, there is the empty space in front of "http://". Type the name of your domain in that empty space. Type the domain name as www.example.com. You should type domain name with "www", or else you will get error.
- Save the settings, and now your blog is ready to display from your own custom domain name address.
Some Important Things
- Wait for 2 to 3 days, if your custom domain name is not taking you to your Blogger blog. From my experience, if you have newly purchased domain name, it will start working in 10 minutes. If your domain name is used to point somewhere else before, 1 or 2 days may be required for it to start taking you to your Blogger blog.
- Your original Blogspot blog address (example.blogspot.com) will continue to take visitors to your blog. All the links and bookmarks will work normal.
- Your posted images will continue to display on your blog. Only the images above 400px will not display on your page. But, Thumbnails will still point to the full sized images.
This is about giving a custom domain name to your Blogger blog. I hope you found this information helpful. Share this information with your friends using sharing options at the end of this hub.
Domain Name Related Hubs
- Blogspot Blog Domain Name
1. So now you have a domain name. Click over settings tab of your blog. 2. Click on "Switch to: Custom Domain". Now click on "Switch to advanced settings". 3. Now open the control panel of the website from where you have purchased your domain name. G
- Email Domain Name
The steps of setting up your own email addresses with your own domain and with Google Apps (Gmail) and Windows Live (Hotmail). You can create several email addresses with Google Apps and Windows Live free email service.
More by this Author
You have saved a bookmark in UC web browser. Now, so may saved a number of bookmarks in this way. If anytime you need to manage these bookmarks, do the simple steps given below.