Google Chrome - Apps and Extensions.
Screenshot of My Chrome Homepage
Google Chrome Browser
I downloaded Google Chrome onto my desktop computer which has Vista operating system. So far I have had no problems with running Chrome browser on my machine. The one thing I have to say is its look is completely different than IE. In many ways I like the simplicity of this browser. My laptop computer is running the browser Opera, and though I like it, my preference so far is Chrome. It is fun to get away from what everyone else is using, such as Internet Explorer.
Google Chrome has some fun extensions that you can use that are great tools, like the translator. Some of my favorites that I have downloaded are:
- SEO: Key word research, back-links check, highlights no follow and more.
- Screenshots: capture a whole page and can also annotate. As I have done with the picture on this Hub.
- Chrome Editor: edit HTML.
- Favorite Doodle: replace Google logo with your own doodle.
- Feedly: organizes your favorites. Many use this as their homepage.
- And of course Google Translate.
This is just a small sample of what is available in ways of extensions. To check out more about Google Chrome extensions, click here.
One fun application that is available is a translator. This topic has been covered to some great extent but still wanted to do my own piece on Google Translate. Many have covered the Toolbar, browser and download issues to name a few areas that have been covered. For those that write for a living or share in on-line discussions, chat rooms, social networking, groups and other areas of any kind of print media, a translator could be a powerful tool. If you like to travel the Google Translate can help you there too. This application is more than just a bottom on your toolbar. It is a doorway to opening up dialogue with others and opens up avenues we have never ventured down. This has nothing to do with politics so let’s not go that route. It’s about being interested in the rest of the world. One way is to get too know others whose lives may be vastly different than yours are by dialogue whether spoken or printed. I have stood and marveled at Machu Picchu, admired a stain glass window in Norte Dame and cruised down the Rhine but getting to know the people enriches the experience. Language can be a barrier when trying to convey a point or ask for simple directions. Where this can lead you are only limited by your imagination.
Information on Google Translate
- It is free
- It can translate a document, a section of text or a webpage into another language
- If you have a Gmail account it can translate your emails and chats.
- One button away on your Toolbar.
- It was released in various stages with the 21st Stage launched in September 2010.
- Some of the languages that can be translated: Welsh, Hindi, Portuguese, Arabic, Swahili and Afrikaans with a total of 57
- It seeks language patterns using, statistical machine translation.
- Not completely accurate
- You can contribute in getting rid of translation errors
- Mac OSX – Firefox 3, Safari 3 and 4
- Windows XP/NT – Google Chrome, IE 6 and 7.
- Windows Vista – Google Chrome, IE 7 and Firefox 3
- Windows 8 and 10 - Google Chrome, IE and Firefox.
Google Translate Help
If you are having issues using Google Translate there are many sites out there that will help. There are some issues if you are using IE 8 but were an easy fix. As with any download if your computer crashes or pretty much stops running enter into “safe mode” and uninstall. So rule of thumb is do not do a massive download of a couple of applications because it is harder to find the culprit.
This seems to be a fun tool that many can enjoy. One can even download this application to their Android for those that maybe traveling.
Help with Google Translate is just a click away.
There are nine categories of apps in the Google Web Store:
- Business Tools
- News & Weather
- Social & Communication
There are twelve categories of Extensions in the Google Web Store:
- By Google
- Developer Tools
- News & Weather
- Search Tools
- Social & Communications
Favorite Web Browser
What is your favorite Web BrowserSee results without voting
More by this Author
Mary Stuart was born at Linlithge Palace on Dec 8th, 1542; 6 days later she became the infant Queen of Scotland. For security reasons her French mother sent her to France in 1548, at the age of 6. Henry VIII wished to...
Lodi, California is home to the oldest Zinfandel vines and home to some fabulous wineries.
Looking to buy a motorcycle to ride off road? Tips on what to look for based on what you want to use it for.