Google Tries Again - From Panda to Penguin
Well I hope I'm not the only one saying "Thank that Goddess! It's about damn time!"
Not that I'm all that happy for more experimental algorithms, though I'm definitely happy to see that Google has noticed how many unfinished problems they never took care of when they changed to Panda, which they thought was going to be their golden algorithm. As we online content writers know very well, Panda was no golden chalice and as it led us around by our noses, it really cut the wheat from the chaff in terms of who would be able to keep their torches lit through all the "progressive" changes and who would drop their mighty pens and go back to square one.
Ready Yourself for the Battlefield!
The Google Geeks have already rolled out their new Penguin battle arena on April 24th 2012, and if you haven't already seen a dip in your earnings, you're one of the lucky few. That's right, I said it, Google is yet again responsible for your recent drop in earnings and it appears it's only going to get worse for those of us who don't ready ourselves for the Googlefield. Just as with the first few months of Panda, it looks like Google is just throwing random curve balls at online writers, marketers and content providers, then fixing things along the way (sometimes). So prepare yourself, or be ready to be pushed aside.
I've checked with just about everyone, and the consensus is that good ole Matt Cutt's (the guy who fabricates Googles algorithms), is that Penguin was put in place to emphasis the original intentions of Panda - to prevent the monopolization of the page ranks. That's right! The penguin is here to Penalize and Punish the sites that are trying to game the SEO system. Though doling out the punishment isn't the only intention of the powerful penguin, it's also to reward those high-quality sites that may not have reached any decent page rank before, due to the blackhat techniques of spam marketers and link builders.
The idea is that the cute and anything but "little" penguin is targeting Over-Optimization that have been employed by most big time marketers, in an attempt to gain the most traffic from searchers. What this has done, is made it so that real information is hidden underneath miles of advertisements, propaganda, non-sense and spam. Google users and high quality content creators have been crying out for a fix to this problem for years, and with the extra hype about all the Panda problems, Penguin is what Google has given as an answer.
What does this mean for me?
- You'll be Penalized by the Penguin if you: Over Stuff Keywords, Leave Spam Comments or do any Link Scheming.
- Blackhat tricks are getting the Powerful Penguin Punch, and will not be tolerated.
- If you use relevant keywords and keep your keyword density to a moderate level, you'll get the Penguin Prize and find your rank improves.
- If you've been wearing a "Grey Hat", then your tricks will probably be overlooked by Al the Penguin.
- Sites that have been dominating Google pages, regardless of how, will be dropped in rank to give other sites that chance to revolve through the Google lime light (No more monopolies!).
What you can do
- Check out what Google defines as High Quality Content
- Read Google's Quality Content Guidelines
- Don't do This or That
- Get yourself a Decent SERP Tracker
- Don't produce articles that look anything Like This One
- Get to know your current Google Algorithm Designer
- Stick to the Whitehat High Quality Content and SEO
- Or get better at your Blackhat tricks!
It looks like things are all bad, even if the silver lining is rather thin right now. Some of the benefits to Googles new algorithm:
- Little sites are getting ranked higher
- Ron Paul is getting extra traffic (go figure?)
- No more Viagra advertisements at the top of every search page.
- The sites that have dominated search rankings have been benched for a TBD period.
More by this Author
A man born under the sun sign of Cancer is a very complex machine indeed. He has an intense love for the fine culinary arts, a hatred of instability and complete inability to be decisive make him a wonder to behold for...
That's the sound most people make when they find themselves with a spontaneously locked keyboard, that only allows them to use the keys for command controls. You press "F" and the "find" tool comes...
How to lance a dental abscess by yourself, as a form of pain relief, before seeing a dentist to cure the basic problem.