How to Fix a Motorola STB that shows "dU1", "dUl" or "dVI", or a Scientific Atlanta STB gives the HDCP error
- Troubleshooting your Cable TV
If your problem is not resolved by this pages solution.
- How to Plug in you're Cable Box
A beginners step by step guide to plugging in your cable box.
- Tips For Solving Issues You May Have With Your Television Provider
Having issues with your Pay TV provider? Read this article to find out how to resolve any issues you may have!
Motorola cable box showing "dU1", "dUl" or "dVI"
These three codes are really meant to be "DVI", the others are just different ways I've seen come up on the cable box's front display, particularly since it doesn't look much like "DVI".
This error indicates the cable box wasn't able to set up a connection over the HDMI cable. Part of the HDMI interface is the requirement that the two devices using an HDMI cable "handshake" to verify that High Definition Copy Protection (HDCP) is active. If the "handshake" fails, the cable box will show this error and be unable to output to the TV over the HDMI cable.
Scientific Aatlanta cable box showing HDCP error
The error message is "DVI Alert - Your TV does not support HDCP. Please disconnect the HDMI connector and use the YPbPr connection to continue watching TV."
This error indicates the cable box wasn't able to set up a connection over the HDMI cable. Part of the HDMI interface is the requirement that the two devices using an HDMI cable "handshake" to verify that High Definition Copy Protection (HDCP) is active. If the "handshake" fails, the STB will show this error and be unable to output to the TV over the HDMI cable.
Primary Troubleshooting Steps
- Make sure that the only cable connected from the cable box to the TV is the HDMI cable, remove others
- Confirm that you have your TV set to its HDMI input or source.
- Reseat the HDMI cable (either end, both if needed)
- *Attn* - Powercycle the cable box. Be careful with this one, as Powercycles tend to cause the cable box to show picture for a few minutes then fall right back to the same error.
- Change which HDMI port the HDMI cable is connected to on the TV. Most TVs with an HDMI input have more than one HDMI port...eg, HDMI-1, HDMI-2
- Powercycle the TV
Alternative Troubleshooting Steps
- Use Component cables or a DVI-to-HDMI cable instead of the HDMI cable
- Replace the cable box.
More by this Author
How to plug in your cable tv set top box. This works with Time Warner, AT&T, Grande, COX, Comcast, and many other cable providers. using these methods you will grow from novice to expert in no time!
Troubleshooting common problems on your Echostar/Dish TV System: no picture on any channel, missing channels, poor picture quality, remote not working, "remote wars."
A list of the most common cable problems that can be fixed without having to call your cable provider.
No comments yet.