Hard Drive Space Freeing : How to free hard drive space?
If you are using your Windows computer for long time, you will see that your hard drive space is decreasing day by day. Even you don't install any program or don't copy any thing in your installation drive, the hard drive is still decreasing. Do you know the reasons behind this? Do you know the ways to recover these free space? This page contains all the information related to free up your hard drive space.
Why the hard drive space is decreasing day by day?
There are some reasons for which the hard drive space is decreasing. Some of the most decreasing factors are:
- Enabling system restore point: System restore point is enabled to all Windows XP by default. It consumes much space. If your Windows is running for many days, you will see it captures many hard drive space.
- Storing unnecessary temporary files or history files: If you browse Internet or use many programs heavily, your temporary folder creates many files. If the Windows is running long time and if you don't clean the Temp folder, then these files hold much space.
- Recycle Bin is not cleaned properly: It may happen that you only delete some file and you may see that the file is deleted. But if you go to the Recycle Bin, you will see that those file is staying to the recycle bin. They are not deleted properly. So, they cause some space of your hard drive.
How to free up hard drive space?
You can follow two steps (manually) to clean up your hard drive space. You can remove the system restore point and delete the temporary files or history files and clean Recycle Bin properly. To do so, you have to follow the following steps:
Use Disk Cleanup utility to free your hard drive space:
Follow the following steps to clean your hard drive by using disk cleanup utility:
- Click on Start menu and then select Run.
- Type cleanmgr in the Run text box and hit Enter key.
- After finishing the above steps, Select Drive window will be popped up (Figure-1). From the "Select Drive" window, select the drive you want to clean up and then select OK button. Now, you will see the figure-2 window will be appeared. Please wait whether Disk Cleanup window will be opened.
- When Disk Cleanup window will be opened, select More Options tab (Figure-3).
- Now, select Clean up.... from System Restore part. It will ask you to clean up. Click OK and finished clean up process.
In this way, you can clean up hard drive space and can free hard drive space.
Remove temporary files to clean up your hard drive
Follow the following steps to free your hard drive space:
- Click on Start menu and then select Run.
- Type temp in the Run text box and hit Enter key.
- After following the above steps, one window will be opened. Here, you will find many files. All these files are unnecessary and Windows create them for several purpose. Select all the files and press Shift + Del and delete them all without any hesitation.
Note: Some files may not delete and can show you the message that windows is unable to delete because some one or some programs are using that file. In this case, restart your computer and follow the above steps again and I think all files can be delete now.
Empty the Recycle Bin to free up hard drive space
Follow the following steps:
- From the desktop, right-click on Recycle Bin icon and select Empty Recycle Bin.
- It will ask you to delete all the files. Click on Yes and you will see that all the files are gone.
Now, you will see that you can free up some hard drive space.
By following the above steps, you can easily fee some of the hard drive space. Use all of the techniques and increase the free space of your hard drive.
© Written by rancidTaste
More by this Author
OSI stands for Open Systems Interconnection Reference Model. In short it is termed as OSI model or OSI reference model or 7-layer model or Layered Model or OSI seven layer model. This is really an important topic topic...
- 64How to check CPU temperature:A complete guide to Check CPU temperature through BIOS or software on all operating system
While CPU is running, it produces heat. CPU is an electronic device. It is very urgent to remove heat from electronic devices as soon as possible. Otherwise the internal temperature will be increased. If the device is...
- 5How to Reset/Remove/Bypass a BIOS or CMOS Password? : A Complete Guide to Reset/Remove/Bypass BIOS or CMOS Password
User level passwords are used to restrict unauthorized access of a computer. BIOS or CMOS passwords are used to prevent access to BIOS settings or to prevent PC from booting. Thus BIOS passwords are used to add or...