How To Be Safe When Using Browser At The Public Internet Cafe
The Danger of Getting Hacked
Oblivious of the technical terms in computers, an ordinary internet cafe user will use his/her time that can be paid first or later at given time of one hour or more.
At the public net shop, there will be the main computer, being controlled and managed by an attendant, monitoring the allocated time for each slave computer.
Now, if the user is finished already, the vacated computer desktop will be used again by another user. He/She may be an online gamer, social media enthusiast or just an individual who's just passing the time, tinkering popular websites, like YouTube for free movies and the like.
Can you complete this scenario of getting hacked and your account being compromised because some unreasonable or disrespectful user will get into the History section of available browser and scan the pages that you've opened?
My YouTube account have been compromised and I was forced to change the password again.
Now dig this:
- An unknown user purposely uploaded a Rated-R video that I immediately erased or deleted.
- Another set of videos from YouTube we're shared going directly at my Facebook account. One of my friends asked if it was really me who liked those entries. I answered him that I didn't and my account was already hacked!
Can I blame it on the browser of the pubic internet cafe operator? The attendant said that the safety of my account lies on my personal accounting with what I do online.
Personally, my getting online these days, mainly focuses on HubPages, Facebook, YouTube and Yahoo Mail.
Since, I am earning passively from the first three sites, respectively because of Google AdSense, I am now more careful when using a public computer.
Learning from that YouTube episode (I hope it stops soon.), I am deemed to report it at the YouTube management and spy on someone at the cafe who's using YouTube. Maybe, I can nail down the perpetrator in due time.
(With writings and personal opinion from travel_man1971 aka Ireno A. Alcala)
What to do with the 'History' of your activities online
From what I've done for the past years, when using public computer, I've been too trusting just to leave the browser closed right after my time lapsed.
Little did I knew that once another user opens it, the history of online activities that I've done on that computer will be recovered.
Here's how to be safe when using public computer.
- One internet shop has its safety net by using a program erasing all the data by the users. It is called Deep Freeze. It is appropriate when you are renting a public desktop computer. The attendant explains that it will delete all the pages and data that's been opened by users. So, there will no option for hackers to exploit your personal account.
- Be conscious of what you open at the net shop. In my part, I am now very careful when opening my Yahoo, HubPages, YouTube and Facebook accounts. I am making sure that all the pages were closed by reviewing it at the History section of the browser.
- Ask the assistance of the internet shop personnel if you still have doubts about my first two options.
There's no safe browser, only safe users.
Whether you are using Firefox or Internet Explorer, Maxthon or Opera, there is no "safe" browser. This statement comes from Symantec as part of its twice-yearly Internet Security Threat Report, which showed attackers were no longer primarily focusing on Internet Explorer. (From betanews)
So there, if you really want to be safe and your accounts will never be compromised, always be cautious when using a public computer.
It's better to own a netbook, laptop, desktop or an iPad for documentation. If you can afford it this time, you better have one.
Right now, my laptop computer was damaged already, so, I am using a public computer until it is repaired in due time.
More about browsers
- What Is The Best & Fastest Browser? Reviews
With so many browsers on the market, it's hard to decide which is the best. After reading this article you will find all the answers and all browsers available to download for PC, Mac / Apple and mobile and smartphone devices
- How to enable Auto Form Fill feature on your Opera W...
Auto Form Fill-up, feature of Opera web browser is one of unique and distinguished features of the browser, which may help the netizens to save plenty of their precious time and to perform more tasks in less...
- All Computer Browser Download Links
A complete list of all the computer browsers, including browsers for smart phones, ipad browsers. Discover the many opportunities with having more than one browser available on your PC. Check out the full list here to download now.
- Android Alternative Web Browsers Review Comparison: ...
Android web browser... Browser, Dolphin HD, Opera 5 Mini, xScope, or Skyfire? How about Firefox/Fennec and other browsers? Find out which is the best choice on Android device.
- How to delete a Browser Cookie
Ah, remember the good old days when cookies where just a treat that you got after school with a cold glass of milk? Those of us that use computers on a regular basis haven't thought about cookies in just that...
Different Kinds of Browser
More by this Author
Ever heard of sweet rice cake? Perhaps not, when you're still not living here in the Philippines. Let me teach you on how to make this Filipino delicacy. Get ready with your sweet tooth.
Some of early users of this coffee-saving tip gained an ample reduction in their electrical consumption. This is good news to the skyrocketing prices of electricity in the Philippines.
Aside from raising your own children, or just starting a family, why not indulge yourself into another interesting hobby: raising herds of ducks in your own home at your backyard? This will be suitable for you while...