How to Connect A Domain To A Hosting Account
So you want to get online and have purchased your first domain name, along with a hosting account from a different provider. Usually when you purchase a domain name and hosting at one place, they take care of the connection for you, not so when you use different companies.
You have to manually change the domains nameservers to that of your new hosting companys, and this can be easily done in a few quick steps. Think of it as parking your van (domain name) in a garage (hosting account) overnight. You need to take the van to the garage to leave for the rest of the night. Similarly, when you change the nameservers for your domain name, you point it towards the hosting account.
So lets get started, here are the quick steps you need to take in order to get your hosting account and domain connected and working..
- Go to where you bought your domain name, login, and find the place where it lets you "edit nameservers". Leave this page open for a minute.
- Now go find the welcome emails you got from your hosting company, and in one of those emails you should see a set of nameservers that you need to change on your domain name to get it working.
- Usually there are 2 lines of nameservers (ie. NS1.DOMAIN.COM and NS2.DOMAIN.com), but there can be 3 or more sometimes.
- Take these lines and paste them into where you went to "edit nameservers", and your done!
- Now you just have to play the waiting game, as it can take up to an hour to a day to see the change take effect.
Hopefully that wasn't too brutal and you can see how easy it is now to change the nameservers to get your domain name and hosting account connected. Once you do it the first time, it will be a cinch from then on.
More by this Author
Look professional and stand out! I love looking professional and getting respect when I wear a suit. Nothing looks more sloppy then when you see a person wearing a suit or a tie in the wrong way. In this tutorial, I...