Comparison of Ebook Readers
Compare ebook readers
Tech-junkie or not, most of us have heard of ebook readers. As of a few years ago, ebook readers have become a desirable product on the market. This gadget (also known as an ebook device, digital book reader, or e-reader) is perfect for anyone who likes to read books, newspapers or magazines on-the-go. It's a device capable of holding large amounts of printed material, all of which can be bought online or downloaded. Many ebook readers are designed with a unique technology that makes the print equally readable to a book, whether outside under bright sunlight or indoors. Ebook readers are also similar to books in that of weight and feel. Today, the market is so saturated with different brands of ebook readers, it's hard to choose one. A comparison of ebook readers will help narrow down the choices, and make buying the right ereader easier.
Amazon Kindle Reader
- Screen - New screen design and 50% improved contrast lets you read crisp and clear with no glare, no matter where you are.
- Design - Both lighter and thinner than previous designs at only 8.7 ounces and 1/3 of an inch thin.
- Battery - Just one charge from your computer and you can read for over a month, but only about 10 days if using the Wi-Fi.
- Storage - Capable of carrying over 3,500 books. You can also store personal documents, PDFs, magazines and newspapers.
- The Low Down - Whether you decide on the cheaper model with built in Wi-Fi or the more expensive 3G model, both are a good buy. You can browse book selections online at Amazon, read the first chapters for free, and if you choose, purchase and download straight to your device in less than 60 seconds.
Sony Digital Reader
- Screen - The Sony reader's crisp 5" screen displays text just as a book would.
- Design - Elegant, thin, lightweight, and available in multiple colors...like an attractive woman.
- Battery - Rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery that lasts up to two weeks with one charge.
- Storage - A total of 512MB of onboard memory, capable of storing around 350 books.
- The Low Down - Shopping for books is different than with the Amazon Kindle. The best option for book shopping (which is still great) is at Sony's eBookstore where books are cheap and readily available. You are also able to check out books from public libraries.
Nook Ebook Reader
- Screen - The Nook uses the same EInk technology as others, meaning no glare or backlight no matter where you are. It's simple color touch screen sets it apart from other ereaders.
- Design - At almost 2 pounds, the Nook is a bit heavier than some competitors. Although it's lack of any buttons makes for a very slick looking ereader.
- Battery - Charges through your computer's USB similar to the Amazon Kindle. Depending on your Wi-Fi usage, the charge will last 7-10 days...a bit less than the Kindle.
- Storage - Hold up to 1,500 books...in my opinion, that's plenty.
- The Low Down - Not as small as the Sony Reader, but that could be a good thing. The color screen, adjustable font sizes and clock display are an added plus.
Apple iPad Tablet
- Screen - Larger than most with a 9.7-inch, LED-backlit, color touch screen. Unfortunately, without the EInk technology, the iPad is not as easy to read if under the sun... if you're into that sort of thing.
- Design - Obviously not pocket-sized and weighing almost 4 pounds. Nonetheless the iPad is, like all Apple products, incredibly sexy looking.
- Battery - Plugs into your computer the same way your iPod would.
- Storage - Access Borders, Barnes and Noble, other ebook bookstores and more through iTunes and load up your iPad with 64GB worth of books. Does 64,000 books in your backpack suffice?
- The Low Down - It's a truly remarkable gadget from the future. Although, if you are simply in the market for an ereader, this may not be your top choice due to it's high price tag.
Bookeen Ebook Reader
- Screen - Smaller than most in size and quality at only 5" and 600 x 800 pixels, yet capable of 12 different fonts, making your reading time with the Bookeen customizable. Black and white projection and daylight readable.
- Design - Complete with easy to navigate buttons like that of an iPod and only 5.3 oz. Also available are skins to protect and jazz up your Bookeen Ebook Reader.
- Battery - Equipped with a built-in Li-Polymer battery, capable of 8,000 page turns. Includes a USB cable for charging through your home computer or laptop.
- Storage - Over 1,000 titles can be stored on it's 1GB of internal memory.
- The Low Down - Some users have reported the Bookeen to freeze up after months of use. At the same time, users of other popular ereaders like the Kindle or iPad have reported the same thing. An additionally unique feature is the microSD slot allowing users to add even more information.
Ectaco Jetbook Ereader
- Screen - The 5" Ectaco LCD screen isn't quite as readable as those with EInk technology, but out of the sunlight, it reads perfectly.
- Design - Unlike the iPad, the Ectaco is a gadget of true pocket size. It's simple black design is perfect for any jet-setting reader.
- Battery - In my opinion, this is it's downfall. This little guy takes 4 AA batteries which will last up to 20 hours, making it less convenient than other plug-in models.
- Storage - Browse Barnes & Noble ebookstore and load up with 1000's of ebook, even plug in your SD memory card for expanded space. You won't miss out on anything as the Ectaco is capable of storing ePub, Mobi, PRC, RTF, txt, pdf, fb2, jpg, gif, png, and bmp file formats.
- The Low Down - There's no real reason not buy this ereader, and seeing that it's significantly cheaper than all competitors, why not? It's multi-lingual, includes a dictionary, CIA World Factbook, adjustable font type and size...and the list goes on.
Aluratek Ebook Reader
- Screen - By utilizing the latest technologies, the Aluratek gives a crisp black and white display on a 5" screen. So clear that you might forget you're not reading an actual book.
- Design - 1.6 pounds and small enough to toss in the glove box.
- Battery - The Aluratek Ebook Reader doesn't have the greatest battery life, but it will still last you 24 hours on a single charge.
- Storage - Equipped with a 2GB SD memory card and 100 free ebooks off the shelf...you like free stuff right? Connect to a computer with internet to download ebooks.
- The Low Down - Simply put, it's readable, light, includes sufficient storage space (and 100 free books) and cheap. Aside from that, the Aluratek is even capable of holding photos and MP3's so you listen to your favorite music while you read.
More ebook reader reviews
- What to Consider before Buying an Ebook Reader
Any smart shopper is bound to have many questions before buying an ebook reader. Questions about price, compatibility, battery life and size are just some things to consider. These are things to consider before buying an ebook reader.
- Best Ebook Reader 2010
In best ebook reader 2010 we are going to look at the benefits of owning an ebook reader and then we'll review our top ebook reader pick. Benefits of owning an ebook reader It's cheaper in the long run. ...
- The Best Portable Ebook Readers 2010
I'm very demanding when it comes to picking the right portable Ebook reader. While I love the idea of mobile categorized literary compendium, it needs to meet several benchmarks in order to feel as natural...
- eBook Readers - A Comparison of eBook Software
I mentioned eBooks awhile back and was pleasantly surprised to see how many of you already read them. Most of you read them on your computer, using software like Adobe Acrobat and Microsoft Reader to view...
- Electronic Book Reader Comparisons What's The Be...
If you're a book lover, then one of your ultimate fantasies just might be to carry around all of your favorite books in one convenient device. That dream used to be impossible, but now it has become a...
More by this Author
As a waiter or waitress, fulfilling customer expectations is often easier said than done. Follow this 10-step guide and you will end your next shift with less stress and full pockets.
Facebook has quickly become the world's largest online social networking site. While many of us, including creator Mark Zuckerberg, love this social networking site for its ability to keep people connected, many hate...
How could you ever be bored in Orange County, California? Use the links with this list of 100 things to do in Orange County, California and you are guaranteed to find something to entertain you.