How to Delete a Virus in your USB drive or Flashdisk
What is a Virus and how does it infects your Computer?
Simply put a Virus is a Malicious Software (MalWare) created by people who wants to destroy.. your files, your computer, your flashdisk...
(NOTE: Virus and Malware will be used in this article interchangeably)
Now, How do there Malware infects your computer?
- Downloading pornographic materials, games and applications in untrusted websites
- Downloading files through peer-to-peer programs (e.g. limewire, torrent, ares)
- inserting your flashdisk to other infected computer and inserting it back to your computer without scanning it first
These are just some of the ways in which malware infects your computer.
Common Malware infections in the flashdisk or USB drive
These are common malwares that infects your usb drive/flashdisk.
- New Folder.exe
- Trojan Virus
- .vbs scripts
Preventing Malware from infecting your computer should start from the owner itself. You can't just say to your computer "OK I already installed the best Anti-Virus on you and you already have the latest virus definitions. Your on your own now!" What I mean is, it's the responsibility of the owner to prevent infections to your computer whether it be from another usb drive or from the internet.
Ways in preventing Virus infection
As the saying "Prevention is better than cure" and it's very true when it comes to computers. Preventing a malware from infecting your computer would save you a lot and i mean A LOT of headache-free hours..
Now, How do I prevent these nasty bugs from infecting my computer you say?
- Disable the auto-play feature of your computer (for windows). Here's the link from Microsoft detailing how to disable the autorun feature of windows NOTE: please use this at your own risk because some of the steps involves editing the registry.
- Make sure that you have the latest update of your Anti-Virus definitions. Updating your Antivirus is one of the best prevention from Malwares, so do it regularly.
NOTE: If your Antivirus couldn't delete the malware you can Safe Mode you computer by following this:
- Restart your computer
- After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually; Instead of Windows loading as normal, the Advanced Options Menu should appear;
- Select Run Windows in Safe Mode, then press Enter.
- Then scan your computer using an updated Antivirus.
- SCAN FIRST! Each and everytime you insert a USB drive/flash disk on your computer don't forget to scan it first. (Given that your Antivirus is up-to-date).
- You can also install utilities that will check the flash disk that you inserted for malware infection. Search it on Major Geeks (this is not an affiliate site)
What if it wasn't prevented?
Well, that's the purpose of this section..:)
So, how to we remove these nasties from our computer systems?
There are ALOT of ways to remove them, but you should also be prepared for the worst case scenario in which the infection is severe and the only thing you can do is back-up your important files and format your computer.
I'll cite some common ways in removing these malware
AND since I dont' have all the answers to your queries, I posted these recommended sites that will help you in your fight againts the malware menace from your pc.
- TechGuy - this site is full of information about removing malwares (you might want to search first to minimize the hassle in asking for help-maybe you're not the first one to experience such tragedy)
- Major Geek support forum - this site helps people who had their pc infected by malwares (please follow their regulations)
- SpywareInfo support forum - this site is also a support forum to those with malware infection
NOTE: To further maximize efficiency,
- You should install HijackThis (product info is on their site).
- If you download the Executable version please make sure to place it in a permanent folder. HijackThis makes backups of anything fixed and the backups might be deleted accidentally if the program is run from a temporary folder.
- Run HijackThis, click "Scan and Save Log", and save the logfile produced. Please do not fix any entries with HijackThis unless a helper tells you to. Most of the entries in the log will be legitimate, or even critical to the operation of your computer.
- IMPORTANT! The log file is the one that you will post to these sites so that the malware expert can diagnose the situation..
Hope this helps! God bless!
More by this Author
Microsoft Command Prompt "attrib" is a very useful tool to check if your hard drives even your flashdisks have been infected by a virus. You will know if a Malware is inside your hard drive just by looking at...
Cha - Cha or Charter Change is the process involved in amending the 1987 Philippine Contitution. Charter Change, also recognized as "Cha-Cha" in the Philippines, refers to the political and additional...