How to Secure a wireless LAN?
Wireless LAN is a wireless local area network. By using wireless LAN, certain number of computers can be connected and communicated easily through wireless. Wireless LAN use spread-spectrum or OFDM modulation technology. As there is no physical medium all the data passed through wireless medium. So, data security or LAN security is an important thing. A wireless LAN can be secured by the following steps:
- Enabling security features: It needs to enable security features such as wired equivalent privacy (WEP) standard.
- Avoid using default or obvious passwords or keys: It is best not to use any default passwords or keys.
- MAC address registration: It is good to register the unique MAC addresses of the LAN cards that access the network.
- Using firewalls: If firewalls are used then the network becomes much secured.
- Network monitoring: It’s a best practice to monitor the network time to time basics.
- Physical security monitoring: Is there anyone sitting in the parking lot trying to listen in on the network?
- Use secure socket layer encryption: If all the applications are web based then it’s good to use it.
- Using WVPN: Using a wireless virtual private network or other tunneling protocol is very helpful for securing wireless LAN.
By following the above mentioned steps you can secure a wireless LAN.
© Written by rancidTaste
If you are enjoyed this post, please consider to give a thumbs up and leave a comment. You may Subscribe to rancidTaste's RSS feed to get new pages which will be delivered to your feed reader. You can also read more hubs by rancidTaste.
JOIN HUBPAGES & EARN MONEY
More by this Author
The serial interface of a CISCO router can be configured from the console or through a virtual terminal line. The configuration of a CISCO router is very simple and easy. At first, you have to select the interface and...
OSI stands for Open Systems Interconnection Reference Model. In short it is termed as OSI model or OSI reference model or 7-layer model or Layered Model or OSI seven layer model. This is really an important topic topic...
Solution of the Oracle installation problem on Windows 7 / Windows XP during Oracle installation start-up. Know the reasons and solution of the erro "CreateFile error 32 when trying set file time" Error During...
No comments yet.