How to Set Up Internet on a Mobile Phone Using Nokia or Samsung Mobile Phone on Laptop and PC
What Do I Need to Connect My PC to the Internet Using My Mobile?
If your mobile device has an internet connection then you can use it to access the internet on your laptop or desktop for PC.
There are few things you need to get started:
- A mobile phone with broadband capacity.
- A mobile service provider that offers internet.
- A data cable or a Bluetooth for connectivity.
- A driver for Bluetooth or phone modem
- A laptop or desktop computer.
For this tutorial I will be using:
- A Nokia 3110 Classic phone
- Nokia PC Suite (which contains a driver and internet wizard)
- A Reliance GSM SIM Card which is recharged with a monthly unlimited PC internet pack
- A USB data cable and my Desktop (which I assembled myself).
I will also show you how to set up Bluetooth connection later in this tutorial.
A Note About Mobile Internet
Various operators have various internet pack plans. These are both GSM internet service (up to 128kbps, but practically around 8kbps) and CDMA internet services (up to 154kbps but practically around 12kbps) like Reliance Netconnect or Tata Photon.
In my area, Reliance GSM Internet service costs Rs. 303/- monthly for unlimited internet and Reliance CDMA Internet service costs around Rs. 1100/- monthly for the same. Similarly, Airtel provides Internet service at Rs. 449/- per month for unlimited access but its service is not as good as Reliance GSM provides. BSNL GSM Internet is the fastest option in some place, but does not work where I live.
If you live in those cities where 3G or 4G service is available (for example from Indian providers like BSNL and MTNL) then you can enjoy mobile broadband service and you can also surf internet using a PC.
How to Set Up Mobile Internet Using a Data Cable
- Install a driver onto your PC. I use Nokia PC Suite, and that is what this tutorial will use. Make sure you install the latest version. If you have Sony Ericsson or Samsung, then install their respective drivers. Don’t connect your phone while you install the driver unless you are prompted to do so.
- Restart your computer when prompted.
- Connect your phone to your computer and select Nokia Mode or PC Mode. (Don’t select Data Transfer, Data Storage or Printing Mode. They are for different purposes.) Windows will start installing the driver onto your phone. Be patient while it installs the driver as it takes some time.
- If everything goes right then it will show a message like “Nokia 3110c connected via USB.” (See image below.)
- Double-click on the phone icon in the system tray area or on the Nokia PC Suite icon on the desktop.
- Click the “Connect to Internet” option and wait for few seconds, or click the “Connect” button if you don’t want Nokia PC Suite to connect to the Internet automatically.
- If you succeeded in connecting to the Internet then you will see a screen like the one below on Nokia PC Suite. Now you can enjoy the Internet from your PC. Happy surfing!
Checklist for Connecting to the Internet Using a Mobile Phone
- Make sure your have phone has a modem (older or low-end phones may not).
- You have the software disc on your phone. For example Nokia phones have “NOKIA PC Suite." Samsung phones use “PC Studio" or "SAMSUNG KIES”, depending on the model. If your phone doesn't come with a software disc then you can download the necessary software from the manufacturer's website.
- You have recharged (paid for) the internet pack for PC.
- You have selected the proper internet settings for your internet pack. If you're not sure what they are, call your network's customer care and ask them what the settings are.
Did this help you to connect you mobile internet on PC or Laptop?See results without voting
More in this Series
A computer is a complex electronic device which we own proudly. But to remain its proud owner we need to take care of it. To extend life of computer, it must be regularly examined as we do for various machines and tools...
In this tutorial I am not going to say same thing which I already mentioned in “How to Setup Laptop Mobile Internet using Mobile Phone” tutorial. In this workshop you will need a Bluetooth dongle and...