How to Tell if a Web Link Is Safe Without Clicking on It
We all come across those random emails that have links to different parts of the web. But, do you take the time to consider the source of the link that you are clicking? Do you know who the link is from? Are you sure the link is safe? Many do not ask these questions and continue to click on anything that comes in.
This is certainly not the best practice. But, there are things that you can do to help protect yourself from getting invalid links sent to you or to ensure they are safe.
1. if. You do not know or trust the person sending email with the link in it DO NOT CLICK IT delete the email and be done with it.
2. Many links will forward you to a phishing site. For example, if you are going to www.yourbank.com, and the link may take you to www. Sucker.yourbank.com and look exactly the same. But when you pu your user name and password in the box the phishes just got yours. So always check the URL as something that you recognize.
3. Many photos and buttons in emails can hide links. So, the best way to tell where they go is to simply hover over the link. When you do this, a little window will show above the link showing you the destination of the link. This can help you determine if it is something you recognize or want to go.
4. Today there are websites that allow you to assign an alias to your link. These are common because some URLS can be extremely, very long. The idea behind it shortens the links up to a more manageable level. So when a link has tinyurl associated with it make sure you use a program link a link scanner to help you unravel the location that it will take you.
5. Another option is to use to verify a link is there are many websites that are designed to check them for you. You will simply copy and paste the link into their approve search function whether it is a long or short link they can check on phishing, viruses, malware and other harmful things that can possibility infect your computer.
Just remember that common sense plays a role in protecting your computer. If, you’re not sure of something make sure you check it out first. Let’s reduce viruses and malware one computer at a time to keep your system running at peak performance.
More by this Author
Everything you ever needed to know about Syria
Taiwan is one of the most unique countries in the world. It provides visitors and tourist many wonderful things to experiance like culture, history, and raditions of tawians people. Here, are 20 of the most interesting...
Poverty in Brazil is one of the highest in the world lets explore why..