How to Remove Skype (Uninstall Guide)
Skype is an incredibly useful program that allows you to make calls over the Internet. A big problem with Skype is that it's full of bugs. If your version of Skype is having issues, uninstalling and reinstalling it can help (this is especially true if you have an older version.)
If Skype isn't for you (maybe you don't need this type of software anymore or you've decided to try out other voice chat software), you probably want to get it off your computer.
Regardless of the reasons you want to get rid of Skype, you may have already noticed the uninstall process can be a pain in the neck, to say the least! This guide will show you how to remove Skype from your computer.
Note: If a particular step doesn't work for you (for example, if Skype doesn't appear in Add or Remove Programs), just skip ahead to the next step.
Getting Started: Exit Skype
If Skype is open you'll need to exit it before getting started. You can do this by locating the Skype icon in the system tray (the lower right hand side of your computer.)
Right click on the icon and click "quit."
The first thing you'll want to do is head on over to "Add or Remove Programs" and uninstall Skype:
- Click "Start", then "Control Panel", and then finally, "Add or Remove Programs."
- Find Skype in the list of programs and click "Remove."
The next thing you'll have to do is remove the Skype application folder:
- Click on the Start button
- Click Run
- Type in "%appdata%" (without the quotes) and click OK.
- In the window that pops up, locate a folder called "Skype." Right click in and select "delete."
Now, you'll have to delete Skype's program folder:
- Click Run
- Type in "C:\Program Files" (without the quotes.)
- Locate the Skype folder. Right click the folder and select "delete."
Why are you uninstalling Skype?See results without voting
Removing Skype Registry Keys
This last step is only required if you want absolutely no trace of Skype on your computer. In fact, DO NOT make any changes in your registry if you're not comfortable doing so.
To delete Skype registry keys:
- Click "Run."
- Type in "regedit" (without the quotes) and click OK.
- Once in your Registry, hold the CTRL key on your keyboard and press "F."
- In the box that pops up, type "Skype" (without the quotes) and click the "Find next" button.
- In the middle pane, search results will pop up. Right click them and select "delete."
- Press F3 on your keyboard to search for more Skype results. Delete any search results. Continue this step until there are no more search results.
- Exit the registry.
Yay! If you've followed the above steps, Skype should be completely removed from your computer. At this point, you have a few options:
- You can reinstall Skype (and get a fresh clean install!) Remember to get the latest stable release/version.
- Install something else. Might I suggest Mumble? Google Talk is also fabulous... and you don't even have to install anything!
- Nothing. Hey, if Internet calls aren't your thing, then you're home free now!
More by this Author
Need to get rid of some games on Steam? This guide will show you how to uninstall games as well as how to reinstall them later if you change your mind.
Easy, step-by-step instruction on installing Ubuntu on VirtualBox. VirtualBox is an easy way to try out (or use) a new operating system on a virtual machine.
Easy-to-use home remedies for dealing with just about any clog. The do-it-yourself guide to fixing a clogged drain with household products.