How to assign IP Address to the client & server computer?
In this tutorial we will learn how to assign IP address to a computer. Before that I should make it clear that every PC will have its own unique IP address. Assigning same IP to other PC will give you “duplicate IP address” error. IP is like our mobile no. it has to be different from others. The IP address, we are going to assign, will be static & assigned manually. For this, follow the following procedure attentively.
1. First open My Network Places properties.
My Network Places properties.
2. In the properties window, under LAN or High-Speed Internet heading select your Local Area Connection.
3. Now a new window should popup, titled "Local Area Connection Properties". Here you have to select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) option then click on properties button. This will again bring a new popup "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties".
LAN card properties
4. In this window you have to select "Use the following IP Address" radio button and give the given value as shown in the picture. Exactly like this.
NOTE : To understand this tutorial easily, I would recommend you to assign this address to that computer which would be your server (in case if you want to share internet). Otherwise you can assign this address to any of your computers.
Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) Properties
5. You will be happy to hear that you have successfully assigned IP address of your first PC, now it’s time for the second PC. The process will be the same; the only we have to change or assign IP address to the second PC. So, we will begin from Step 4. On second PC we have to change IP address to “192.168.0.2” and subnet mask will be the same. You can see that in below image. If you have more PC to connect to network, so your next PC IP address will be “192.168.0.3” and so on.
IP Address assignment on Client PC
Now you need to check the connectivity between these PCs, we will confirm this connectivity with ping command. Go to Run or press Windows Key+ R and type “ping 192.168.0.1” from client PC, you should get following replies.
Ping result (Click to enlarge)
If you don’t get reply similar to this then you need to check this from beginning. You can post comment here and I will try to solve your problem as quickly as possible.
- How to setup LAN between XP and Vista PCs
Vista is Microsofts new operating system and it provides different network and security method than Windows XP, to its user. So in order to create network between Vista and XP, we have to enable few...
- How to share an internet connection on LAN?
If you have a fully functional LAN then net sharing is few click away, yes few clicks. I assumed that you have already a broadband connection and account configured on your PC. Just go to My Network...
- How to share folder in windows XP
In this tutorial we will learn how to share a folder or file so that other user on network can share file with your PC. This is very easy process which will allow you to a file or folder or drive of your...
More by this Author
Set up your mobile phone's Internet on a computer.
Crossover cabling is essential if you want to share files between your laptop and desktop (basically two computers). Its very cheap to prepare a crossover able. You just need two RJ45 jacks, CAT5e cable (length depends...
C allows array of two or more dimensions. More dimensions in an array means more data can be held.