Using IRC to Find/Join Popular New Torrent Sites
This new torrent guide focus on how to use an IRC chat client to gain invites to private torrent trackers. It details how to install IRC on your computer, configure the chat client for a private torrent site's IRC server, and ask for an invite to some of the most popular torrent sites on the internet.
Private Torrent Trackers are ideal for the best performance and computer safety.
If you don't know why it is vital to use the safest most reliable tracker (internet host for the .torrent file archive) possible, consider reading my previous guide to torrent trackers: Selecting the best torrent tracker for you. That guide is quite extensive and will help you understand how torrent file transfers work. The bottom line is Private torrent trackers offer fast downloads and better quality content; but most importantly the help keep your computer safe. No matter how strong your computer security is, or how cautious you are, if you use public torrent sites often enough bad things will happen eventually.
I don't like when the internet does bad things to my computer, how can I make good things happen?
Avoid all these headaches and simply join a private torrent tracker. IRC (internet relay chat) makes doing so fast and easy, and being a member of one of these private sites will significantly lower your risk of general computer badness. Don't get discouraged by how ridiculously hard it is to get invited to some of the "best" torrent sites listed in many of the top 10 lists floating around the internet. There are plenty of private sites whos registration and invite system is almost always open. My advice is to simply...
Spend 10 minutes to download and set up the IRC client for chat
There are just a few fast steps to configure your IRC client with the basic chat settings.
- Download the most popular chat client mIRC -
- Once installed, open the mIRC program
- you should see a screen with connections tab open and asking you to input your name, email, and nickname - if not go to tools, then options to open this screen.
- Don't use your real name and email, it isn't required. "Nickname" will be your displayed chat name, secondary nickname will be used if your primary name is online.
For the next steps you need to check the forum of the specific private torrent site you are going to apply to. You can still follow this guide but you need to know the internet address of the IRC server host you are connecting through for chat.
I listed my personal favorite and suggested private torrent trackers in a previous guide.
I will use Torrent-Damage in this example, if you are going to use Torrent-Damage enter this same information.
- Once you enter your nickname (hit alt+O to bring options back up if you closed it) select the plus sight to the left of "+Connect" then select the "Servers" sub tab.
- With the server tab selected, click on the "add" button to the right. You should now see an "Edit Server" screen. Refer to the attached picture at the bottom of this guide if you are unsure or confused by my directions.
- Only the "IRC Server" and "Ports" tabs are important. You can put any name you will remember as the description and group name. The port will be the same regardless of which sites chat service you are going to use, so go ahead and put "+6697" in the port field.
- The IRC Server internet address will be different for each site. In the case of Torrent-Damage copy from my image or enter irc.torrent-damage.net as your IRC Server ONLY if you are going to connect to TD chat and join that tracker.
Now that you have put in the chat server information, you just need to register your nickname and wait patiently for a couple minutes in an invite channel.
- Once you set up the server internet addres and port details, hit ok and then connect.
- Now type "/msg nickserv register putpasswordhere emailhere"
- Finally tell the server you've arrived with "/msg nickserv identify yourpassword
IRC server information of my other suggested torrent trackers.
IRC Server address for BitMeTV: irc.LostIRC.org
IRC Server address for SceneHD: irc.scenehd.org
IRC Server address for Bit-Hdtv: irc.p2p-network.net
IPTorrents actually has a handy java based IRC server, and you can connect to this directly (as a guest) without setting up an IRC server. http://www.iptorrents.com/chat/chat.php
Please visit my Torrent World Blog to view complete torrent guide archive. The guide archive is conveniently located at top right of my blog, so you can quickly scan the subjects and learn how to get the most out of your torrent experience.
More by this Author
Kevin W. These are the best PC games of all times, but these games must also fulfill another requirement; to make this "best of" category the PC RPG games must be open ended stories, where the player is...
Kevin W. Hearts of Iron 3 has taken a much different, and in my opinion far superior approach to the makeup of land units, and how those units are built. In Hearts of Iron 2, you researched a generic infantry...
Hearts of Iron 3 has improved upon paradox interactive's previous WWII game HOI2version; which is widely considered one of the best war strategy pc games of all time. This Hearts of Iron 3 guide will detail the...