How to protect your Internet connection using a free VPN software?
Setup and Use Hotspot Shield
How to protect your Internet connection using a free VPN software on your PC?
When traveling, we connect our computers in locations that put our personal data at risk : hotels, cyber cafés, restaurants with a wifi connection, schools... Any of those places increases the chances of your data being intercepted by hackers or any other ill intentioned individuals. Identity theft, credit card fraud, data theft, damages to your accounts... these are examples of the risks that people take. Little do we actually know that we can secure our connections by simply installing a little piece of free software!
Follow these easy steps to protect your Windows system:
1. Go to http://www.hotspotshield.com
2. Download the installation file
- Click the Download button:
- A download Window will appear:
- Save the file and open it once the transfer is finished.
3. Install the software
- Launch the install software by clicking the Hospot Shield Installation Icon:
- Install the software like any normal Windows software:
- I suggest that you un-check the option below as the installation of the Hotspot bar is not required:
- Again I suggest you un-check the options on the window below so that you do not burden your system with unnecessary settings:
4. Open Hotspot Shield
- A red Icon will appear on the bottom-right of your screen. If the icon does not display, launch Hotspot Shield from Start>Program Files>Hotspot Shield>Hotspot Shield Launch
5. Activate the VPN Protection:
- Now every time you want to protect your connection, just click on this red icon and click “Connect/ON”
- A browser will open displaying the a control panel.
- Wait for a few seconds for the software to establish a secured connection. This will be signaled by a green icon:
Note: In rare occasions this process may sometimes take longer. If this is the case, be patient and let the software run, so be patient and wait until the green icon displays at the top-right corner of your screen.
6. Once you are connected, you will see a page like this one:
- You may now start to use the Internet.
Note: Please note that Hotspot Shield is sponsored by advertisings. So when you are using your browser, you will see some banner at the top at the page. Just click on the cross at the top-right of the banner to hide it. Also Hotspot Shield will re-route you to their search engine if you use Google, Yahoo or other mainstream search engines. If you still want to access Google, you can hit the “Esc” key just when the Google/Yahoo page is loaded. This will halt been re-routed to the Hotspot Shield search engine.
More by this Author
The Book Alice in Wonderland is one of the most famous children’s books ever written. It became a success from the moment it was published, in 1865. Since then, it has been translated in 80 languages,...
No comments yet.