How to Share an Internet Connection on LAN?
If you have a fully functional LAN then net sharing is just a few clicks away.
- First, make sure that you already have a broadband connection and account configured on your PC.
- Go to “My Network Places” and then "Properties," and then select your broadband connection.
- Right click on your connection and select "Properties."
- A broadband properties dialog box should appear. Select the “Advanced” tab.
See the image below:
- Check “Allow other network users to connect through this computer" under Internet Connection Sharing
- Uncheck both "Establish a dial-up connection whenever a computer on my network attempts to access the Internet" and "Allow other netowrk users to control or disable the shared Internet connection."
- Press “OK.”
- You should see a message stating that the IP address of your PC will be set to “192.168.0.1”. Click "OK." (If you assigned this address to any other computer then change it to something else otherwise it will create an IP address conflict error.)
- A hand-like icon should appear below the broadband connection, indicating that it has been shared.
- On the other PC you want to join the network, select “My Network Places” properties.
- Right-click on your LAN connection and select properties. A LAN Properties dialog box should be appear.
- Select “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)” as you did when you assigned the IP address.
- Click properties button. An "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) properties” dialog box should appear.
- Enter the “Default Gateway” and “DNS Server” IP as shown in the image below. Repeat this step on other PCs too.
- Connect to the Internet on the server PC, the one actually attached to the Internet, then try to access the Internet on the other PC(s). Congratulations, you're done!
Troubleshooting, In Case That Didn't Work...
- Check your LAN connection. If you can access Shared Folders then follow next step, otherwise you need to check Internet sharing from beginning.
- You need to check your internet connection again. Press window key + R, now type this without quotes “ping www.google.com -t”. If you get reply as in the image below then net-sharing is OK. Your Internet browser is corrupted or its settings have been changed to use a proxy address. Please turn off all proxy addresses. Now you should able to browse.
Related Articles about LANs and Sharing
More by this Author
In this tutorial we will learn how to assign IP address to a computer. Every PC should have its own unique IP address. Assigning same IP to other PC will give you “duplicate IP address” error. IP is like our...
Set up your mobile phone's Internet on a computer.
C allows array of two or more dimensions. More dimensions in an array means more data can be held.