How to use Amazon's Kindle - A simple guide in using this ebook reader
The Amazon's kindle is a handheld device exclusive to Amazon. It is not easily the first thing that will catch your eye when purchasing a device. It has too many buttons and looks clumsy. But for a frequent traveler who loves to read on the go, this may well be the best device made for you.
It can store up to 200 titles -digital books,magazines, you have access and can subscribe to international newspaper. If you have an SD memory card you can store even more. You have it all in this device and can carry it anywhere at your convenience.
It has an amazing battery duration of about a week despite all you get to do on it. That means you can read as much as you want on your journey without having to bother about charging the device.
Getting started with Amazon Kindle
With so many buttons on the Amazon's Kindle, it can look a bit confusing getting to use it. But on the contrary, it is easy to navigate with its Menu and Home buttons.
As with other devices, you have to charge the battery till the indicator shows it is full before you start using it.
The Amazon's kindle has a select wheel, a cursor, next page button, back page button, previous page button and the keyboard.
When you roll the select wheel button it allows you to move the cursor in the cursor bar. Use the cursor bar to select a particular item you want, when you line it up to the item just press the select wheel button down.
The next page button is on both sides and allows you to navigate to through your reading material to the next page.
The back page button and previous page button have almost the same function andallows you to return to a previous page just like the back arrow on your web page.
The Keyboard like the one on your computer allows you to put in search terms and type in web addresses.
Amazon Kindle has a built in spoken word feature, if you press and hold down the ALT key, then press SYM key, it turns on the feature, follow same step to turn it off.
You can download more books if you have finished reading the one you have, by going to the store, just press ALT button and the HOME button together to go to the store and select from the variety of books available.
When you need technical assistant or information, go to the device homepage, select Menu and go to settings, then type in 411, a screen page will open showing you the device settings and information.
How do I add more memory to my Amazon Kindle
If 200 titles are not enough for you, you can add more memory to your kindle using an SD memory card.
Slide open the back cover of your Amazon Kindle, making sure to place it on a soft or smooth surface so as not to scratch the screen. Find the memory card slot which is located by the side of the device, just opposite the battery (as shown in diagram). Gently insert the memory card into the slot until it locks in place(you will hear the click sound).
How do I save ebooks on Amazon Kindle
You can save ebooks on your Amazon Kindle. There are 3 memory compartment on your device. Your amazon account, kindle on-board memory and SD memory card(If you have inserted one). You can move your ebooks between these compartment depending on where you want space created.
When transferring take note of the location it is currently in (It can be in your amazon account, the device on-board memory or the SD memory).
To transfer and save
- Go to the main menu and select content manager
- Click on the ebook you want to transfer, scroll back down to the main menu and select which compartment you want it saved.(Best to save on your SD memory card as it has the larger space and can be used on other kindle device)
- You will see an arrow to show that a transfer is being made from the current location to where you have selected to have it stored.
- You can do this for multiple ebook transfer.
How do I transfer pictures to my Kindle
Amazon Kindle has very limited ability to display pictures, the maximum image size is 450 pixels high x 550 pixels wide.
If you are transferring the pictures from your computer, you will need a USB cable (it comes in the package)
- Connect the USB cable from your device to your computer
- Go to the start button on your computer, select ''my computer'', you will see the Amazon Kindle or the SD memory stick(if you have inserted one already). There will be several folders displayed for audio books, ebooks and other contents you have on your device.
- Create a new folder, right click your mouse and select 'new folder'. Label the new folder such that you can identify that it is your picture folder (e.g Pix, Pictures e.t.c). take note that this title will appear on the home screen of your device.
- Go back to ''my computer'' select the pictures you want to transfer, copy and paste into the folder you created on the Amazon Kindle device (Pix).
- Right click on the empty space and safely eject the device when you are done. Wait until the indicator on your device stops blinking before pulling out the USB cable.
- Go to your device home screen and scroll to the end of your media list to see your 'pix' displayed.
How do I send e-mails with my Amazon Kindle
Amazon Kindle has been upgraded to allow sending of e-mail. Imagine reading your e-book and you remember you have to send an e-mail, you can now do it from the convenience of the Kindle. This feature works perfectly with Google mail, happy for those who have a gmail account.
Now go back to Menu, go to URL and type in gmail web address (www.gmail.com), your Kindle may prompt you to download the e-mail application to access the account, just ignore and go ahead(this is because that application cannot be installed on Kindle 2).
Once past that stage, the sign in page opens up and your e-mail is ready to be sent.
All in all Amazon's Kindle is a fantastic device to have, it has many benefits, but you will only know this if you own one. Go ahead order one now!!
More by this Author
Valentine's Day 2012 is here. It is time to start brainstorming valentines day ideas for boyfriend. You know, that one you have been planning since the last valentines day. Apart from the many valentines day ideas you...
Black dresses are a must for every woman's wardrobe. It is considered a color of authority and power. It is popularly known for making a woman appear thinner. Introduced in the 1920's, black dresses are sexy,...
A flush valve, also known as the fill valve, is the most likely to become problematic in your toilet tank setup. If you hear your toilet running constantly, then you may be losing water through a leaking flush valve ...