How to Use Microsoft Word
Lessons on How to Use Microsoft Word
This article contains a step by step guide to help those of you who are new to the features of a Microsoft Word Document on your laptop computer.
You will learn how to use Microsoft Word basic features such as copy, paste and undo buttons as you write your document.
You will also be given tips on the best way to use the print feature , there are many options available to you.
Other features you will learn how to use are word count, spell check, undo, redo and the recycle bin.
Microsoft Word Document - Tips and Advice
How to Cut, Copy and Paste on Microsoft Word
You have written your document but decide you want to move some of the text around. Or you want to move one paragraph above another.
How do you achieve this. By using the cut,copy and paste options on your computer.
Cut option. This CUTS the text out of the document
1. Shade the area you want to cut
2. Using the mouse.... Go to the CUT icon on the Toolbar. (picture of scissors)
3. Press the icon. The text disappears, but is not lost. It is stored on the computer memory.
2a. Holding down the CTRL button and pressing the letter x also achieves the above
4. Move the cursor to the place you want to put the text. Press the cursor on the left to lock position.
5. Press Paste, on the toolbar, (picture of clipboard). Your text will reappear.
5a. Holding down the CTRL button and pressing the letter v also achieves the above
How to Cut, Copy and Paste on Microsoft Word
Paste option. There are other useful things to use the PASTE icon for.
Whether you use the Cut or Copy feature you can paste the item multiple times without having to go back through the whole process.
The LAST action you did stays on the memory until you close down the computer. This is great for pasting Clip art, Text boxes and Word Art.
If you are doing a poster for a jumble sale or raffle for instance. You get a picture from Clip Art and paste on your page.
You want to have five of these pictures.
Just press the PASTE icon five times. No need to shade and Copy five times.
How to use Spell Checker on Microsoft Word
Spellcheck on Microsoft Word
- If a red line appears under a word it is usually spelt wrong.
- Move the cursor over the word and click the left button on the mouse.
- Then click on the right button.
- This brings up your options.
- Scroll down to the one you want.
- Click the left button… It is done.
Your Options on the box ABOVE are
1. A list of probable words.. If the correct spelling of the word is there, click on that word. (left button on mouse.)
2. Ignore All. For this particular document ignore this spelling, read as correct. Click on Ignore. (left button on mouse.)
3.Add. You know this is the CORRECT spelling of the word, usually names, places or organisations that the computer doesn't recognise.
To ensure your computer will not mark as a spelling mistake again, Click on Add. (left button on mouse.)
How to Count the Words in a Document Automatically
How to use Word Count on Microsoft Word
Shows you how many words, characters, paragraphs and lines you have on your document.
Very useful when writing a document which specifies how many words are allowed.
- Press Ctrl +A to select All ( if you want to count whole document)
- Or shade the selected area of text you wish to count.
- Go to TOOLS on your toolbar.
- Press left.
- Scroll down to Word Count
- Press left.
- You will now see all the information you require.
How Many Words, Characters and Paragraphs are in your Article
This box above gives you a breakdown of the statistics
- Pages How many pages are in the document
- Words How many words are in the document
- Characters, (no spaces) How many characters without the spaces
- Characters, (with spaces) How many characters with the spaces
- Paragraphs How many Paragraphs are in the document
- Lines How many are in the document
Other useful features on Microsoft Word
Undo and Redo
A picture of a tick, on the Toolbar, (next to paint brush). This is very handy if you've pressed the wrong button and something terrible happens to your work, especially if you’re not sure what button you pressed and your work disappeared.
1. Press the Undo Button and the last thing you did will be ‘undone’.
Useful if writing reports or letters. You can change the style, size or font and if you don’t like it you can press ‘undo’ rather than going back and fixing your report back to the original design.
How to use the Recycle Bin
When you delete a document it has NOT been deleted from your computer. It has only been put in the Recycle Bin.
This still takes up memory on your computer and anyone who has access to your computer also has access to your deleted document in the Bin.
If you want to delete a document from your computer completely you need to empty the Recycle Bin regularly.
1. Open Recycle Bin. If you are the only person with access to your computer it is easier to make a shortcut on your Desktop, to your Recycle Bin.
Right click the icon and click on Empty Recycle Bin. You will be asked if you are sure, press ‘OK’. Now all the documents have been completely deleted from your computer.
2. If you deleted a document by mistake you can get it back from the Recycle Bin. Open the Recycle Bin, scroll down to the document you want to retrieve.
Click on ‘Restore’. This will put the document back on your computer.
3. When you are emptying the Bin you may want to check to see what is in there first. Go to Recycle Bin and click on ‘Open’. You can now see the entire documents in the bin.
You can also open any individual document and read it. If you only want to delete some documents from the bin, click on the document name and press delete.
This way it will only delete those you have shaded.
Renaming a document in Microsoft Word
Once you start to have lots of documents you may want to rename them for better filing. Eg. You were working on a project (6 lessons) where you needed to have 6 separate documents written.
You named them as lesson 1, lesson 2 etc. Then you wanted to create another project with 4 lessons in it. You will not be allowed to name them lesson 1, lesson 2 etc because this is already there. You need to ‘re name’ your documents.
- Make sure ALL the documents you want to rename are closed.
- Open up a blank word document. Go to Open Documents. (yellow folder icon), or go to FILE, Open.
- A box will open with all your word documents contained in it.
- Right click on the document you wish to rename.
- Scroll down to Rename, click on it.
- A box will surround the named document.
- Retype a new name.
- Click your cursor anywhere outside the box.
If you had 6 lessons all on different documents, for a course about setting up a website then you could rename them ‘Website Course, lesson 1, Website Course lesson 2 etc.
The next time you open up your files ALL 6 lessons will be placed one after the other, in alphabetical order. This makes for better management of your files.
Previewing a document on Microsoft Word
What you see on the screen is not always what it will look like when printed.
To see exactly what it looks like use Print Preview
- Go to Print Preview on the Shortcuts Menu. (white page with magnifying glass, next to printer)
- Press left button, you will see your document on the screen.
- To see more than one document at a time press Multiple Pages icon, (box with 4 white pages) Press how many pages you want to see.
- In order to change anything on the document you must first press the magnifying glass icon. (2nd to the left)
- If the page is too small to work with go to the box with 26% in it. Press arrow to change the size of page.
- When done press close.
Basic Printing Features for Microsoft Word Documents
- Before printing any document always check your document in Print Preview. If you are happy with it press close.
- To print out a document once, go to the Print icon (picture of Printer),on the Toolbar.
- Press with the left button on mouse.
- To use other options go to the word File on Toolbar.
- Scroll down to Print. A box with options will appear.
- To print more than one set of pages go to the Number of Copies.
- Use the arrow to count how many you wish to print. Press OK.
- The default should always be on ALL. This will print out all your pages
How to Print out one Page in your Document of six Pages
- Press the left button of mouse anywhere within the page to be printed.
- Then go to print and press the small circle beside Current Page.
- Press OK.
- This will then only print out this one page.
How to use the Print Preview icon
This shows you what the document will look like when printed on the page
Printing Features - All the Options you have when Printing a Document
Printing features on Microsoft Word explained
- If you want to print out three pages of the six page document, go to print.
- Press the small circle beside ‘Pages’
- Type in the number of each page you want to print.
- Separate them with a comma.
- If you have a larger document of say twenty three pages and want to print out seven pages which are in sequence you can put it into the ‘pages’ box like this, 5-11.
- This saves you typing in each number.
- Collate should always be ticked.
- When you print out six copies of a three page letter for example it prints it out as three pages together six times.
- If you are printing out a photograph and using photo paper, go to File, scroll down to print.
- Press on properties.
- Go to paper/quality.
- Scroll down to Type is, press on the arrow and choose the paper you are using.
- Press OK.
- Then to print press OK again.
So there you have a step by step guide on how to use the basic features of Microsoft Word
Once you use these basic features a few times you will find them much easier to remember.
When creating your Microsoft Word document you will find spell check, undo, cut, copy and paste invaluable tools that will help you create and print a professional and useful document.
All images are the copyright of L.M.Reid
You Tube video on tips and advice for Microsoft Word
Microsoft Word help
More by this Author
Google Maps Street View. Google Earth Street View lets you to take a virtual walk on any street in the world
Best Laptop deals for Toshiba , Samsung and HP Pavilion. Laptops Review
How To Make Homemade Dog Food . Here are some Dog Food Recipes you can make for your pet.